Premium Wine tasting

basor

Can someone tell us about the Premium Wine tasting - we will be sailing on the Insignia this Fall...

Cost, what is included, thoughts from someone that has attended, etc.

Thanks

We did this last week on Riviera. Cost was $100. per person plus 18% gratuity. Was a great experience. I only recall two of the wines by name: the Mondavi/Rothschild Opus One, and Dom Perignon champagne. Was a first for us for those two, but all the wines were fantastic. There were also daily tastings of wines a shelf or two below those. Would do this again in a heartbeat.

We did this last week on Riviera. Cost was $100. per person plus 18% gratuity. Was a great experience. I only recall two of the wines by name: the Mondavi/Rothschild Opus One, and Dom Perignon champagne. Was a first for us for those two, but all the wines were fantastic. There were also daily tastings of wines a shelf or two below those. Would do this again in a heartbeat.

Even at "captive audience" cruise ship pricing, $100 to taste the likes of Opus One or Dom Perignon is a bit of a stretch. Now, if it was reserve selections from winemakers like Golden Eye or Turley and the wines for purchase had limited distribution, the "unique" experience might be worth $100.

From the "regular bar" 2013 wine list I saw for Regatta, there were a few decent (though not earthshaking) medium quality entries like the Hoffman Chardonnay and the Frescobaldi Tuscan. It was even nice to see the not readily available (at least on the west coast) white from DonnaFugata. But, if they're going to then jump up to some other list of "premiums" (even if only for select tastings), they need to look at 21st century industry stars and not rely on "name recognition" offerings.

Does anyone have a complete list of what was included in their premium tasting and how it was conducted? That would help others to determine the value of the endeavor. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even at "captive audience" cruise ship pricing, $100 to taste the likes of Opus One or Dom Perignon is a bit of a stretch. Now, if it was reserve selections from winemakers like Golden Eye or Turley and the wines for purchase had limited distribution, the "unique" experience might be worth $100.

From the "regular bar" 2013 wine list I saw for Regatta, there were a few decent (though not earthshaking) medium quality entries like the Hoffman Chardonnay and the Frescobaldi Tuscan. It was even nice to see the not readily available (at least on the west coast) white from DonnaFugata. But, if they're going to then jump up to some other list of "premiums" (even if only for select tastings), they need to look at 21st century industry stars and not rely on "name recognition" offerings.

Does anyone have a complete list of what was included in their premium tasting and how it was conducted? That would help others to determine the value of the endeavor. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At $100-150 bottle (yes, yes depends on which &what) the price for the tasting that includes that as one of several wines seems okay to me for a cruise ship. Especially if one does not have the opportunity to take part in such a tasting or would be inclined to pick up a bottle on spec. But the value is more than the wine in the glass but from the whole experience (and education) received. As the poster said they enjoyed it so they seem to have received full value. (that said $100 is a little dear to me too)

On one cruise the head Sommelier offered several sessions of increasing price, quality and interest as educational classes. She had exceptional knowledge and credentials and presented some training materials. The 'classes ' ranged from perhaps $25-50 and were well presented. I enjoyed them all. Overpriced for what was in the glass? Perhaps but I thoroughly enjoyed them. Sorry I can't quite remember how to spell her name, phonetically Oana perhaps, but she did a great job managing the Cellar and staff.

Edited by YoHoHo

Nice.

How does one find out about these?

Is there someplace it's posted each day on board, or in advance, or...?

And do they post the specific wines that will be included?

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

Advertisements for the Wine Tastings will appear in Currents the daily newspaper on the ship, for a few days preceding the event. Passengers may either telephone to make a Reservation, or go in Person to the Front Desk (Your Butler will also do it, should you have one).

On the larger ships, tasting groups smaller than 30 persons may use La Reserve; Larger groups, and all Tastings on the smaller ships, are held in one of the Specialty Restaurant Dining Rooms.

Patrons arrive to find the tables set with white tablecloths and a placemat for each attendee on which six wine glasses are placed. Trays of cheese, crackers, bread sticks and small fruit are placed intermittently. Water glasses are everywhere and they are refilled constantly. I've been to a GREAT MANY wine tastings (those of you who know me will attest to this), and Oceania really does them very elegantly.

The Specific Wines which are to be served are not announced in advance, and although Passengers who consider themselves serious connoisseurs may certainly get bill of fare from the Sommelier in advance, it should be noted that these Tastings are sold as an afternoons activity and not a serious stab at Oenology.

If your interests truly are more in depth, speak to the Cellar Master privately, and they are sure to volunteer to put together a tasting that will thrill you to bits. Like Experts in any field, they will be flattered by your interest, and will enjoy having people their who will appreciate their best stock.

On the Riviera last December, a wine rep from California was on board and conducted a tasting of very small boutique properties during an afternoon in LaReserve. These were not wines on Oceania's list, nor available at any other location on board. It was $100/pp and we didn't go because we assumed incorrectly that it was only wines from the Oceania list. Bad decision --- that we will not make again if given the opportunity.

Does anyone have an specifics on the AMEX Platinum card wine tasting event? Is it similar to what JimandStan just described? I thought I read somewhere, that in addition to the tastings, one leaves with a bottle "gratis", chosen from the wines presented...

The Amex tasting on our last cruise was hosted in the Polo Grill, so I guess there were a large amount of attendees.

Does anyone have an specifics on the AMEX Platinum card wine tasting event? Is it similar to what JimandStan just described? I thought I read somewhere, that in addition to the tastings, one leaves with a bottle "gratis", chosen from the wines presented...

The Amex tasting on our last cruise was hosted in the Polo Grill, so I guess there were a large amount of attendees.

That is also my understanding so I am interested to know what to look forward to. On Silversea we receive a bottle of Dom Perignon in the stateroom and enjoy it in the dining room (no corkage fee). We always really enjoy that, but are looking forward to this different experience as well.

Sounds absolutely wonderful ;-)

How do we know if there will be one, or, alternatively, how do we arrange/request one (Amex or otherwise)?

We'll be on the Riviera holiday Caribbean as #1 of several planned Oceania cruises.

I assume they won't/can't do it just for two, or at least not with special wines that wouldn't otherwise be opened.

We'll have a few sea days - can't think of too many more pleasant ways to spend them!

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

We have attended 3 of the premium wine tastings on-board.

They were all exactly as Jim and Stan described. There is no charge if you pay for your cruise with your AMex Platinum or Centurion.

You simply tell them after the tasting which bottle you would like and it is placed in the cellar for use in a dining venue or delivered to your cabin.

note:The pours are very generous.

(2 were held in Toscana, once in La Reserve)

We will have one on the Regatta in July

That is also my understanding so I am interested to know what to look forward to. On Silversea we receive a bottle of Dom Perignon in the stateroom and enjoy it in the dining room (no corkage fee). We always really enjoy that, but are looking forward to this different experience as well.

How does one know in advance, such as your July trip

?

Are the Amex tastings separate from "other" wine tastings?

DH rarely has time to accompany me to our local Wine Festival dinners or simple (?) tastings. This would be perfect timing, to put it mildly.

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

We will have one on the Regatta in July

How does one know in advance, such as your July trip

?

Are the Amex tastings separate from "other" wine tastings?

DH rarely has time to accompany me to our local Wine Festival dinners or simple (?) tastings. This would be perfect timing, to put it mildly.

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

The AmEX Tasting on the Riviera in December was only AMEX Platnium guests. Our wine bottle was from the tasting and in the cellar waiting for us. Exactly as Jim and Stan said. Wine quality for us was just ok. We have very specific likes in the wine department and did not find them over the top.

The AmEX Tasting on the Riviera in December was only AMEX Platnium guests. Our wine bottle was from the tasting and in the cellar waiting for us. Exactly as Jim and Stan said. Wine quality for us was just ok. We have very specific likes in the wine department and did not find them over the top.

Neither of us are big fans of reds (except those we mere mortals cannot afford - LOL!), so whites and really good dessert wines will be of particular interest.

Thanks.

We tried two whts, two reds, a sparkling and a dessert wine

All were above average

If you are looking for Henri Jayer you will be disappointed.

That being said, we enjoyed the 3 sommeliers who presented and have been to more than our share of tastings :D