Elite Status "The Easy Way"

hoosier_done_it

We have been Elite for many years. Now the Circle parties are too crowded for us and we skip them. The departure lounge is nothing special but NO OTHER LINE can beat the perks. It is part of the reason we keep coming back to Princess.

Since DH and I are both veterans, the military credit, plus the stockholder credit and the FCC brings our automatic OBC up to $950 every time we book a 14 day cruise. Add on to that the Princess and TA special deals, plus the loyalty credit and Elite perks, it is pretty tough to book another line.

On Cunard we still get the military and stockholder credit so, if we see a smoking deal on Cunard, we will book that as well.

runnerodb83 writes:

comon everyone, is princess really rewarding loyalty? how much do those perks actually cost the cruise line...i would imagine less than $30 per person if everything is accounted for. if they were loyal to their loyal cruisers, an elite booking an IF cabin would be given an upgrade to a minisuite (like the airlines), but then again, the LOYALTY of those elite passengers is usually in the form of an inside cabin booking gty (i've scientifically checked again that 78.5334% of elites book inside cabins) and bar tabs of less than $20 at the end of a 7 day cruise.

I'm not sure how you could scientifically check this but, we must be in the minority as we always book at least a balcony. One of the best parts about cruising for us is standing on our balcony in the middle of the night (or day) with the wind in our face, watching the ocean go by. You are right, however, in that we rarely spend much more than our beginning onboard credit allowance.

Edited by PunkiC

runnerodb83 writes:

I'm not sure how you could scientifically check this but, we must be in the minority as we always book at least a balcony. One of the best parts about cruising for us is standing on our balcony in the middle of the night (or day) with the wind in our face, watching the ocean go by. You are right, however, in that we rarely spend much more than our beginning onboard credit allowance.

I was being facetious...;) however, there are a noticeable number of folks with elite name tags in interior cabins. i personally book in those cabins because its more affordable, im loyal to the line in that its itineraries are a good match to me and my families travel interests and we are familiar with the product. The perks are nice too, but would never cause me to book with princess over a comparable line that had a similar itinerary. My point is, "LOYALTY" is a 2 way street, and i think most cruise lines dont care that much about return cruisers, the perks might bring people back, but if they are only bringing people back to interior cabins with oodles of OBC, i dont think any cruise line is really that jazzed to have those cruisers back. we can say that on a cruise, the location and the type of the cabin is inconsequential to a cruise company's bottom line...effectively, it cost the same to transport and serve a passenger in an interior room as it does a full suite, so in a sense, those in the higher cabins categories are subsidizing those in lower categories. the only thing that the cruise line will really make money off is people buying drinks and other on board purchases.

Been sailing Princess since the 80's and our shortest cruise was 7 days and our longest was 21 days so we did not get to elite the easy way. 12 years ago when we became elite we got an invite to the most traveled lunch, but not since then since we cruise other lines.

Constellation, 2/21/15-3/7/15, Royal Princess, 10/18/14 Canada/NE, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess 214 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity 570 points

Who Cares!!!

How you got there. It only matters that you Did

Tahoe782

Totally agree with you!! I could care less how someone else got to their status. Did we get to D+ on Royal "the easy way"? I guess, b/c we took a ton of short cruises before they changed the program. We still spend a ton of MONEY!!!! I don't care what someone else's status is. I am Elite on Princess b/c I did the training and do the annual recert training to stay that way, so in my opinion, I earned it. Others won't feel that way, but I don't care, however you get there is good for you!!

OK, lets accept that folks aspire to Elite for the benefits package and not simply for status.......

......so why do so many people make a point of including information on their 'status' in their signature?

Do we need to know?

Do we care what benefits package others get?

OK, lets accept that folks aspire to Elite for the benefits package and not simply for status.......

......so why do so many people make a point of including information on their 'status' in their signature?

Do we need to know?

Do we care what benefits package others get?

As well a cruise history. :p

As well a cruise history. :p

:D

I put my cruise history in part because if I'm commenting about one of the lines it gives someone some perspective of which lines I've sailed and in what time period(s).

As for Elite status, we live on the west coast and after Panama will have 7 points, I've been contemplating sending either myself or my sig other alone on 3 very short coastals in a suite to get one of us the rest of the way to elite status.

:D

I put my cruise history in part because if I'm commenting about one of the lines it gives someone some perspective of which lines I've sailed and in what time period(s).

As for Elite status, we live on the west coast and after Panama will have 7 points, I've been contemplating sending either myself or my sig other alone on 3 very short coastals in a suite to get one of us the rest of the way to elite status.

I'm not sure if anyone actually reads anyone else's cruise history. To the rest of the world I seriously doubt if it's important which cruise lines or how many cruises are listed. People could make up any sort of list trying to impress others. I'm not trying to be snarky but the only one that really cares is yourself.

I list all so our cruises so I can remember where we went and when we went there and, believe me, the older I get, the more memory help I need.

For the same reason, I always ask for stamps in my passport when we clear customs. Having a record makes it so easy to resolve disagreements when we are tying to remember if we were in, for instance, Dublin in 2005 or 2006.

Edited by PunkiC

I'm pretty proud of my cruise history. I want people to see what I've done in the past. The only issue with my cruise history is in the 28 cruises I've taken over the decades. I'm just starting to get status. I've jumped around from line to line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you could say we did it the "easy" way as we did do a lot of Pacific Coastals to qualify, but, since we did it while we still worked, it seemed far from easy. Squeezing out long weekends where we would fly to Vancouver, cruise to LA or SFO, and then fly back, to rush back to work that morning hardly seemed easy while we were doing it.

No question about it. You did do it the easy way compared to folks like us. We worked during the 22 years of cruising with Princess and had to take full vacation weeks to do our 15+ voyages, driving or flying from MI to FL each time and going to work the next day. Squeezing out a long weekend to do those little voyages doesn't seem quite the same. Flights back and forth equate to our travel to and from but what doesn't compare is the cost of a 7, 10 or 15 day voyage to that of a little weekend voyage.

You earned your status because of the way it is set up and that's the problem. Nothing against you. The system needs to be changed to make it fair for everyone and equitable for the commitment.

To me it hardly seems worth it to fly or drive to the port and arrive shortly before embarkation, get unpacked, have a day at sea, pack and disembark and hurry home. For the cost and lack of time really being on a cruise at sea it would seem more practical to take the money and book are 5 star hotel in your home city, have a great meal and go home.....unless it was really all about working the system gain Elite at any cost.

I'm not sure if anyone actually reads anyone else's cruise history. To the rest of the world I seriously doubt if it's important which cruise lines or how many cruises are listed. People could make up any sort of list trying to impress others. I'm not trying to be snarky but the only one that really cares is yourself.

Hmm, seems pretty snarky. Anyhow when someone is asking about NCL seeing when and what ships you are on is useful context and similarly I look at others lists similarly. YMMV

No question about it. You did do it the easy way compared to folks like us. We worked during the 22 years of cruising with Princess and had to take full vacation weeks to do our 15+ voyages, driving or flying from MI to FL each time and going to work the next day. Squeezing out a long weekend to do those little voyages doesn't seem quite the same. Flights back and forth equate to our travel to and from but what doesn't compare is the cost of a 7, 10 or 15 day voyage to that of a little weekend voyage.

You earned your status because of the way it is set up and that's the problem. Nothing against you. The system needs to be changed to make it fair for everyone and equitable for the commitment.

To me it hardly seems worth it to fly or drive to the port and arrive shortly before embarkation, get unpacked, have a day at sea, pack and disembark and hurry home. For the cost and lack of time really being on a cruise at sea it would seem more practical to take the money and book are 5 star hotel in your home city, have a great meal and go home.....unless it was really all about working the system gain Elite at any cost.

The Captain's Circle levels and qualifications are not intended to reward loyal cruisers. They are intended to sell cruises. The higher levels are intended to bring us back. The benefits accrued by people on Pacific Coastals are intended to sell those cruises.

Hotels do not set sail on the open sea. I have done one coastal cruise (with one booked) because I can get away for a short period of time away from family obligations. I love being on the water. The ship could sail around in circles, and I would be happy. Yes, there are people who just want to cruise who are not "working the system [to] gain Elite status at any cost." I'm not sure why that would be hard to understand. (BTW, not Elite yet, and the two little cruises won't do it either.) We have been on more than a few 14+ day Princess cruises which have turned us Platinum. I guess you could say we did not do Platinum the easy way, but status is just a side effect of enjoying cruising.

I'm pretty proud of my cruise history. I want people to see what I've done in the past. The only issue with my cruise history is in the 28 cruises I've taken over the decades. I'm just starting to get status. I've jumped around from line to line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe me, we see it. In fact, I can't help but see it, since your ridiculously over-long list is taking over two screens to scroll past. At some point, it becomes less about showing off your pride and more about inconveniencing every one else who's trying to navigate the site.

. . .

. . .

The system IS fair for everyone -- that's why they do cruise credits and/or days at sea. I don't understand your "equitable for the commitment" comment at all. There is no hard-earned loyalty you're demonstrating by achieving Elite status through taking only long cruises; it's only your opinion that that's worth more than someone who takes only short cruises. As I said in another context, true demonstrations of loyalty that would impress would involve serious risk to life and limb. Reading off one's AmEx number to a TA or CSR is hardly in that category. You seem to have a total bee in your bonnet about this. Get over it.

Believe me, we see it. In fact, I can't help but see it, since your ridiculously over-long list is taking over two screens to scroll past. At some point, it becomes less about showing off your pride and more about inconveniencing every one else who's trying to navigate the site.

Go to the User CP and turn off signatures. Makes like easier.

Edited by shredie

I've read through most of the replies, and just thought I'd add my opinion. My husband and I are fairly new to cruising, we have only done three. We are planning one in September, to take our nephew (we are his guardians) and my mother on a "boat with pools" for his birthday. (ok, maybe a little bit for us also.. shh). We gained Ruby 'status' on our last cruise.

I am 28, my husband is 29, so we got ourselves addicted to cruising fairly early on. The problem is, we are both full time students. My husband is on the GI bill at SDSU in the Electrical Engineering program, working part time at a crap retail job, and in the AF reserves(he was active Marines for 8 years, hence the late school start). I am a full time student going for a slightly less lucrative art history degree, and full time caretaker for the kiddo. Money is extremely tight for us, but we are just itching to cruise. If we have to settle for 3 or 4 days cruises for awhile, that is what we will do to be able to enjoy a vacation without going bankrupt.

I think that if we gain Elite by eventually completing 15 coastal cruises, that is no less valid than a more financially stable couple getting there with 14+ day cruises. We will get to those long ones eventually! :)

Have been elite for awhile and still love the 1 day cruises from or to Vancouver. Never did it to reach Elite. The train ride from Seattle to Vancouver is stunning since the train tracks are on the waterfront most of the way. We always book a inside and always get upgraded to a balcony. The repo in May only had 1900 people on it so it felt like our own private ship. On 7 day cruises I don't even use the laundry benefit. If I didn't enjoy the short cruises I wouldn't do them just to reach elite.

I'm looking to get Elite status "The Easy Way," while it's available. When I started looking into cruising last year, I absolutely looked at different cruise line loyalty programs as a part of the decision making process. I've done the same with airline and other travel loyalty programs because I'd like to give my business to primarily one company and hope to reap some loyalty benefits in return at some point. Although I initially wanted to cruise on Allure and Oasis on Royal Caribbean, I decided it would be better to cruise on Celebrity first given the cost to sail the big girls because it was easier (at the time) to get their highest-level status and then match to Royal's Diamond level. In looking at other loyalty programs, I learned about Princess and ended up booking my first (very short) cruises with them. In addition to the loyalty program, I also took advantage of the referral program and combining of OBC, which most other cruise lines don't offer. Also, I just like the overall vibe of Princess and its passengers as shown on this forum and on the ship. It's my kind of line!

I had a great time on the cruises last year, and I'm very happy to primarily be a Princess customer going forward. Yes, I flew cross-country to sail, but it was also my first time to the West Coast so I enjoyed other non-cruise experiences as well. I flew again for two short cruises last month and will do the same in September. As long as the program remains the same, I will reach Elite on my birthday this year (my first cruise was also on my birthday last year). So to me, the experience is worth it. With that said, I know Princess isn't the line for my young sons and their dad, so we're going on our first cruise together this week on Carnival so see how they like cruising.

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of Princess' loyalty program by taking the shorter cruises (or sailing solo, or solo in a suite) as long as those are the rules in place. I fully expect for Princess to take away the cruise credits at some point like Celebrity did last year. The benefits of the program can also change at any time so I want to reach Elite before they do. I don't have the vacation time available to take the longer cruises now, so I'm glad there's a way to reach Elite that's not tied to days sailed--and that solo travelers as well as those who pay $$$ to sail in a suite are recognized in that way. The benefits provided by Elite status will definitely help my cruise experience when I take longer Princess cruises down the road. If someone doesn't like my path, then don't hate the player; hate the game.

This thread has intrigued me for quite a while and the comments are, as usual, very interesting. I started sailing Princess in Nov. 2011, and will be Elite after my Labor Day weekend cruise on the CB. I fell in love with cruising and the Princess product immediately, and work to squeeze in a cruise as many times a year as possible. Luckily, I've been with my company for a while, so my vacation days are quite generous, and that's what I use them for…flying to a coast and getting onboard…no matter how long the length, or whether I have to go alone. So, yes…I will enjoy my Elite benefits in November on the Crown. Considering the time, and definitely the expense and investment I've made, you better believe I will and I don't feel one bit bad about it.:cool:

I may have commented earlier on this thread, but the topic still intrigues me. I cruised once on Disney and twice on Carnival before cruising on Princess. I was unaware of loyalty programs/status until my first Princess cruise, as other members of my party had cruised Princess before and I realized that counted for something. I like Princess and her itineraries/prices have been good. I have a cruise booked on the Crown for next June. If and when I ever achieve some higher "status" that will be great and I will enjoy whatever perks I get. I don't see any problem with achieving higher status by whatever means, as long as they conform to Princesses rules. Yes, the rules have changed but most things in life do. This isn't a pissing contest to see who is "more" Elite or Platinum than someone else, by doing it the "hard way" (which was the only way to do it at one time). This is just the way it is at present and I hope that whether you are new to cruising or on your 100th cruise, you have a fabulous time and not spend too much time stewing over ""status".

Hotels do not set sail on the open sea. I have done one coastal cruise (with one booked) because I can get away for a short period of time away from family obligations. I love being on the water. The ship could sail around in circles, and I would be happy. Yes, there are people who just want to cruise who are not "working the system [to] gain Elite status at any cost." I'm not sure why that would be hard to understand. (BTW, not Elite yet, and the two little cruises won't do it either.) We have been on more than a few 14+ day Princess cruises which have turned us Platinum. I guess you could say we did not do Platinum the easy way, but status is just a side effect of enjoying cruising.

Exactly! ;)

We will become Elite in the middle of a 35 day cruise. We have done it by days, not cruises. I am wondering if our status would change mid cruise, or on completion. Would appreciate any information on this please!:confused:

We will become Elite in the middle of a 35 day cruise. We have done it by days, not cruises. I am wondering if our status would change mid cruise, or on completion. Would appreciate any information on this please!:confused:

It will kick in on your next cruise. We made Platinum in the middle of a cruise since we were going by number of days. I didn't get my pretty silver card until the next cruise. I am still bitter. ;):):D