Elite Status "The Easy Way"

hoosier_done_it

I have been Elite for many years and Have been Diamond, Elite and high status on other cruises. I DO NOT cruise for status nor do I resent those who do. Princess is still my favorite line and 1 reason IS because of the Elite and Suite perks. I feel they are the best in the business. I also appreciate the way Princess handles OBC. The Veterans OBC is a great way to show appreciation. And, unlike other lines, Princess allows me to combine ALL my OBCs and will even refund some if I don't spend them all, Often those advantages can sway which line I cruise with.

I would love t make elite the "easy way" (tongue n cheek here, princess allows it therefore not easy), or even platinum the easy way. here in the UK there are no short cruises for us to benefit from this year or next! Our next cruises is our 4th and we end up one day short of platinum at end doh! Never mind we will just enjoy and look forward to the next

• 1 month later...

All this 'easy way ' seems hard work to me and, given the commonly held US perception that we in the UK are much more class conscious than US citizens, this is all quite amusing, particularly when we meet people who go out of their way to tell us they are Elite.

Why not simply go on cruises and let it happen.

We are at 125 days and 12 credits some of which are double from booking full suites, which makes us Platinum. Had we got double days instead of double cruise credits when we were in suites we would now be Elite but even that doesn't make me wish I had taken the 'easy route' or wish that the rules were different.

As we were unable to book a suite this year, they were all gone by the time we had booked, I will miss the laundry and bar set up, but that is the way the system works and I think I might be able to survive.

Life is far too short to worry about status unless, of course, it is something you find important. In our case it is not.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
Grammar

Here is the link. https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp

It is based on number of days cruised or cruise points, whichever gets you there faster.

1 cruise point for being on any length Princess cruise

1 additional point if in a suite

1 additional point if traveling solo in a cabin and having to pay the extra cost of doing do

(the link information only says cruises, but the reality is cruise points)

I am not certain how Princess calculates cruise days. Do you multiply the number of points you receive by the number of days of the cruise. Example, if you were on a 7-day cruise paying single occupancy and receive 2 points would you have 14 cruise days (2X7=14)? And how about using the same example above, but you are in a suite. Would you get 21 cruise days (3X7=21)? I am just curious how it works. Thanks!

Edited by ImLost

It's either days cruised or cruise credits, not both.

So, you earn one cruise credit per completed cruise, regardless of the length of the cruise. If you sailed solo, you earn two credits for that cruise. Or, if you sailed in a suite, you earn two credits. If you sailed solo in a suite, you earn three.

However, at the same time, you're earning days, but they are not doubled for type of accommodation booked.

Example: I sailed an 18-day cruise in December, solo. I earned 18 days toward my total number of days at sea. I also earned two cruise credits, one for the cruise and one extra for sailing solo. If I had sailed on a 7-day cruise, I would still have earned two cruise credits (one for the cruise, one for being solo), but would have accrued only 7 days at sea.

Thus, you can reach the next level of the Captain's Circle by qualifying via credits or days at sea, whichever comes first. If you take one 50-day cruise, you only have one cruise credit (or max out at three, if you sail solo and in a suite!) but you'd have 50 days at sea, so you've just earned yourself Platinum status.

I hope this helps; it can be confusing and especially when people don't explain clearly or define their terms.

It's either days cruised or cruise credits, not both.

So, you earn one cruise credit per completed cruise, regardless of the length of the cruise. If you sailed solo, you earn two credits for that cruise. Or, if you sailed in a suite, you earn two credits. If you sailed solo in a suite, you earn three.

However, at the same time, you're earning days, but they are not doubled for type of accommodation booked.

Example: I sailed an 18-day cruise in December, solo. I earned 18 days toward my total number of days at sea. I also earned two cruise credits, one for the cruise and one extra for sailing solo. If I had sailed on a 7-day cruise, I would still have earned two cruise credits (one for the cruise, one for being solo), but would have accrued only 7 days at sea.

Thus, you can reach the next level of the Captain's Circle by qualifying via credits or days at sea, whichever comes first. If you take one 50-day cruise, you only have one cruise credit (or max out at three, if you sail solo and in a suite!) but you'd have 50 days at sea, so you've just earned yourself Platinum status.

I hope this helps; it can be confusing and especially when people don't explain clearly or define their terms.

Now I’ve got it; thanks for your help!

I am not certain how Princess calculates cruise days. Do you multiply the number of points you receive by the number of days of the cruise. Example, if you were on a 7-day cruise paying single occupancy and receive 2 points would you have 14 cruise days (2X7=14)? And how about using the same example above, but you are in a suite. Would you get 21 cruise days (3X7=21)? I am just curious how it works. Thanks!

No, you do not get extra days for traveling solo or in a suite. You only get the extra cruise credit(s) for that.

All this 'easy way ' seems hard work to me and, given the commonly held US perception that we in the UK are much more class conscious than US citizens, this is all quite amusing, particularly when we meet people who go out of their way to tell us they are Elite.

Why not simply go on cruises and let it happen.

We are at 125 days and 12 credits some of which are double from booking full suites, which makes us Platinum. Had we got double days instead of double cruise credits when we were in suites we would now be Elite but even that doesn't make me wish I had taken the 'easy route' or wish that the rules were different.

As we were unable to book a suite this year, they were all gone by the time we had booked, I will miss the laundry and bar set up, but that is the way the system works and I think I might be able to survive.

Life is far too short to worry about status unless, of course, it is something you find important. In our case it is not.

It is not about the status per se, but more about the perks. I don't care what color my card is or what status shows up on my account. I do, however, care a great deal about the free laundry and dry cleaning, the free internet, the free mini-bar, priority tender boarding, and additional OBC.

It was well worth it to us to take a couple of extra coastals to become elite before we started taking longer cruises.

It is not about the status per se, but more about the perks. I don't care what color my card is or what status shows up on my account. I do, however, care a great deal about the free laundry and dry cleaning, the free internet, the free mini-bar, priority tender boarding, and additional OBC.

It was well worth it to us to take a couple of extra coastals to become elite before we started taking longer cruises.

Not sure about your arithmetic but willing to be corrected. As I see it free laundry / dry cleaning is worth around $80 (well that is what we used in a suite over 15 days last Christmas), Internet for Elites is same as for Platinum so value is $0, Free Mini-bar is worth $80 (or $40 per person if you are both Elite), no additional OBC until around 30 cruise credits, add 10% discount on say $400 spent in boutique means that the monetary benefits are worth roughly $160-200.

Ok, there are non-monetary benefits, which we find very nice when we are in a suite, but remember folks booked onto ship's shore trips also get priority tendering, which leaves us with upgraded bathroom amenities and canapes on formal nights.

Having said that, not having them this Christmas / New Year (we are wait listed for a suite but not hopeful as we don't want a forward facing suite), is not going to detract from our pleasure which was the basis of my observation.

Don't misunderstand me, I am sure that some folks, yourself included, have done a financial breakeven analysis, and have decided that it is worth it, but, as I see it, if your coastal cruise, including transport at the ends, can be done for, say $150, you can gain $50, and managing the logistics seems to me to be a lot of work for not a particularly large financial benefit.

On the other hand, just look at the number of folks, not you I hasten to add, who include their Captain's Circle level in their signature and it is difficult to argue against the perception that some folks see it as a status symbol of their importance and something to be broadcast.

At this point I will put on my tin hat and, in the interests of harmony, promise not to respond to anyone who wishes to contest my analysis.

In the meantime, I remain content to wait until I eventually pass 150 nights which, depending on whether or not we get off the wait list for a suite this Christmas, is likely to coincide with achieving either 14 or 15 cruise credits.

Kindest regards

CM

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Don't misunderstand I am sure that some folks, yourself included, have done a financial breakeven analysis, but, as I see it, if your coastal cruise including transport at the ends can be done for, say $150, you can gain $50, but that seems a lot of work for not a particularly large financial benefit.

Yes, but the financial benefit is only part of it. They got two cruises they wouldn't have had otherwise. It's difficult to put a monetary value on the sheer joy of being out on the sea! :)

No one has even mentioned the "special" line at the Purser's Desk........"Suite/Elite" Passengers ONLY......Come on now.....isn't there some power in walking straight through that line when there's a line around the corner of the "regular folks?"

Talk about "Elitists!"

Cruise ships have a "class" system. Get used to it! Leonardo DiCaprio knew it so did Rose! ;)

You all know I'm just kidding, right?

I love to cruise and started doing it with DH years ago. Now, I do it alone or with family and friends. Sometimes I rack up points sometimes I don't. I just know that I come back from a cruise.....BETTER!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

No one has even mentioned the "special" line at the Purser's Desk........"Suite/Elite" Passengers ONLY......

Not always a quicker path to service. One person handles that line and if that one person is working on a time consuming problem, the regular line may move much faster for someone who is in a suite or elite.

Not always a quicker path to service. One person handles that line and if that one person is working on a time consuming problem, the regular line may move much faster for someone who is in a suite or elite.

It is if you hold your card up high and yell.

I'm not elite and sadly never been in a suite but I'm pretty sure there is more than just a monetary value on free laundry. It's more the walk to the laundry on your deck only to find its full, so you have to trudge back to your cabin and try later. Or to have to sit and wait around for the wash to finish before putting it in the dryer, those are the things that that "cost". It never really bothered me but the thought of just putting my dirty clothes in a bag and having them magically returned is priceless :). I'll just have to wait a few cruises (lots) for that !

I've only done laundry once on a ship--after the land portion of our Alaskan cruise tour. We were fortunate to be among the first passengers on the ship. I did our laundry before a lot of people got on. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong laundry--the one at the opposite end of the ship from our cabin. I should have gone down a couple of decks instead to the one at the front of the ship.

On our first Princess cruise three years ago, my husband and I were platinum.

It was based on previous cruises on Sitmar and other cruise lines that P&O bought out and hadtransferred the past cruise credit to the Princess program.

It was a surprise to us; we knew about the Sitmar cruises but it took a while to trace back P&O buy outs to find where the other cruises came from.

You think the people behind the desk would look at the Elite line & call that next person first. I suppose it's to hard a concept.

After reading through most of these posts, I begin to wonder if I am in the lesser/easy way group? I am not sure when Princess started Captain's Circle group but by the time I took my first Princess cruise (1st Pacific Princess back in the early 70's) I had well over 400 days with P&O and Sitmar, which Princess now counts for CC.. When Princess did start these groups I should have been elite. Did not even think about it until about 15 years ago. Most of our cruises are longer, including a couple of 42-60 day cruises. Our total-90 cruises with an average cruise being 15 days. Well over 15 and 150 days with Princess now but did I get there the easy way.:confused:

After reading through most of these posts, I begin to wonder if I am in the lesser/easy way group? I am not sure when Princess started Captain's Circle group but by the time I took my first Princess cruise (1st Pacific Princess back in the early 70's) I had well over 400 days with P&O and Sitmar, which Princess now counts for CC.. When Princess did start these groups I should have been elite. Did not even think about it until about 15 years ago. Most of our cruises are longer, including a couple of 42-60 day cruises. Our total-90 cruises with an average cruise being 15 days. Well over 15 and 150 days with Princess now but did I get there the easy way.:confused:

It sounds to me like you got there the BEST way! :)