OMG - will HAL ships become shopping malls?

arzz

I've never seen anyone doing anything other than "looking" at the expensive shops on cruise ships. The sales clerks are doing a bang up job selling branded merchandise and $10 scarves, along with Clinique and booze, but some of those shops are ghost towns.

Here's a question for those who made an honest effort to complete the survey thoroughly, and did finish it:

How long did it take you to go through it all?

2-minutes tops. No more than 15 questions and all demographic in nature. I didn't know why they were asking for the information and was curious to the nature of the survey until I read this thread. I believe the branching logic short-circuited when I told them the industry I work in and I figured they didn't want my opinions on the shops.

Oh well...

2-minutes tops. No more than 15 questions and all demographic in nature. I didn't know why they were asking for the information and was curious to the nature of the survey until I read this thread. I believe the branching logic short-circuited when I told them the industry I work in and I figured they didn't want my opinions on the shops.

Oh well...

OK. Getting rejected out of surveys is the norm. I get rejected for at least 10 for every one I complete.

So, that explains the 2 minutes and the demographic questions only.

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the survey was way too intrusive. I don't travel to shop and my souvenirs are usually little things I can use as Christmas ornaments. The survey wanted such nitpicky details of my purchases. I tried skipping a question but it wouldn't let me continue; then I tried guesstimating but soon gave up altogether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I finally got around to filling out the survey today. I'm guessing it was around 15 minutes but they kept asking the same questions over and over, so I kept giving the same answers over and over!

When they asked if I'd like to see Coach, Burberry, Tiffany, etc. onboard, I said no. When they asked for comments, I said I didn't take a cruise to go shopping and since I spent $50 total in the shops on my last cruise, I doubt the high end retailers are anxious for my business.

I did complain about the lack of decent logo apparel and sizes for same. I'm sure they'll read my comment and ignore it!

I used to think I had to buy souvenirs in port, but on three European cruises I was able to pick up a few things on board the HAL ships after sailing. In fact out of Turkey the prices were better than in port.

Having seen many foreign (not American or Canadian) tourists buying in the high end jewelry shops on board, surely let them buy their designer brands and supplement our cruise fares.

I myself have only purchased necessities, which I am happy to have found. Reading glasses, sunscreen, a low end watch, seasickness bands, things I left behind or didn't want the extra weight in my suitcase.

I'm sure they have lost a lot of duty free liquor purchases since 9/11, and they need to find new revenue sources or raise prices. Let the high end clients buy their must-have designer duds, and we can continue to sail for less.

That's probably why I didn't receive the survey.

[SIZE="3"]On April 3rd I also got an invitation to take a survey and said the survey could not be forwarded , it stated it would take 15 minutes to take so figured it was fairly long. The first part of the survey asked about your occupation, age and family income, I answered honestly , then it came backing thanking me for answering and that concluded the survey :eek: Knowing that it had to do with shopping now makes me really mad they did not allow me to take this :mad: On my last HAL Cruise the after Cruise survey was extremely long on my part telling them what I thought of Starboard Cruises offerings for shopping and how basically they have ruined what was once OK about 10 years ago. If they want to make money from shops on board they need to listen to everyone and offer things people might want to purchase not what they can buy at Macy's back home :rolleyes: On my recent NCL Jewel cruise I spent more on board in shopping than I have in a long time basically because there were things to purchase. While I still was not thrilled with any Logo wear the offerings and pricing for jewelry was best I have seen in a long time and selection of cosmetics and pricing was also great.[/SIZE] Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

[quote name='estebofarr']One of the most tedious surveys I've ever received...and I like to shop. But this, bad idea. They seemed obsessed with sunglasses.[/QUOTE]

I have not received a survey, but after numerous cruises on HAL and other cruise lines, my one big request is for quality dark chocolate. What is that? Not what HAL sells which has the cheap corn syrup sweetener, and other additives. The super small selection of real dark chocolate they do carry is 'sugar free', but with a sweetener that does not agree with my tummy (or many others) and is a known 'side effect'.

I go through withdrawal for decent dark chocolate on long cruises...even with almonds or cranberries, whatever. I try to buy it in port.

I would be quite willing to pay top dollar for truly fine and delicious chocolate. However, I do realize that it would not bring in the same amount of money as fine jewelry or watches :rolleyes:

[quote name='Arwen']I have not received a survey, but after numerous cruises on HAL and other cruise lines, my one big request is for quality dark chocolate. What is that? Not what HAL sells which has the cheap corn syrup sweetener, and other additives. The super small selection of real dark chocolate they do carry is 'sugar free', but with a sweetener that does not agree with my tummy (or many others) and is a known 'side effect'.

I go through withdrawal for decent dark chocolate on long cruises...even with almonds or cranberries, whatever. I try to buy it in port.

I would be quite willing to pay top dollar for truly fine and delicious chocolate. However, I do realize that it would not bring in the same amount of money as fine jewelry or watches :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I love dark choccy too, preferably 85% cocoa but I'll manage nicely with 75% when needs must:)

Odd though, I don't really crave chocolate if travelling in hot climates.

I just received this survey a few days ago. I guess they are now targetting European cruisers. What a truly tedious & intrusive survey. It took me about 15 minutes to complete in the end.:mad:

My only shop purchases on the last cruise were a couple of snacks and a pair of gloves in the sale for $7.50. I am never going to buy any high end jewelry or watches (I don't wear either) and it is a waste of sales space as far as I am concerned. I like to buy a few souvenirs in port but do not cruise to go shopping. So mall type stores would not interest me at all. A larger selection of port related things might interest me as long as they are not too much more expensive than on shore.

[quote name='Arwen']I have not received a survey, but after numerous cruises on HAL and other cruise lines, my one big request is for quality dark chocolate. What is that? Not what HAL sells which has the cheap corn syrup sweetener, and other additives. The super small selection of real dark chocolate they do carry is 'sugar free', but with a sweetener that does not agree with my tummy (or many others) and is a known 'side effect'.

I would be quite willing to pay top dollar for truly fine and delicious chocolate. However, I do realize that it would not bring in the same amount of money as fine jewelry or watches :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Go on Westerdam and check out the Jacques Torres chocolate seduction area. Amazing chocolates to be had there

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='InTheWASide']Go on Westerdam and check out the Jacques Torres chocolate seduction area. Amazing chocolates to be had there

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Now, if only the right itinerary matches what the Westerdam has to offer:D

As regards sunglasses: Why not sell the type that fit over prescription glasses?

I have four pairs of these with polarized lenses the look really nice. They come in small, medium, and large sizes.

Since HAL attracts the wiser and older crowd ;) then I doubt that many would be interested in regular sunglasses (unless you are lucky to have perfect vision).

But for many, who do wear glasses and don't like transition lenses (I certainly don't), these are fantastic and look really nice. Years ago, I found these special sunglasses in the sport section for those purchasing fishing gear. And that was over 15 yrs ago. Since then, and many pairs later, I purchase them here in Seattle at Walgreens.

There are a few brands available. One pair recently purchased from Amazon.com is named 'Overcast'.

The sunglasses cost about $20.00, but of course, on ship, they likely would charge more (understandably). HAL needs to think more of our needs rather than wants...or maybe consider both!!!

[quote name='arzz']:eek:

Finally they proposed a few "new" ideas that they wanted my reaction to.....

...this is the one that sends me overboard:

Shops that appear temporarily all over the ship selling items that you might wish to buy and use in that area of the ship.

Anyone else receive this survey? Anyone else have thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I received the survey.
As for having shops temporarily around the ship: I was on the QM2 a few years ago and they did something similar to this. Down the entire length of the immense main hall (sorry, forgot what it's called) tables had been set up and staff was selling t-shirts, souvenirs, jewelry, etc. It looked like a flea market ! It was horrible and passengers couldn't believe that Cunard would allow such a beautiful ship to be presented in this way.

I still can't believe it.

HAL spends hundreds of millions of dollars on the design and interior decoration of their ships. Why they would want to ruin the visual of their elegant product is beyond me. Edited by Boatdrill

[quote name='Ichiban Nekko']On our last cruise on the Eurodam, 'sales' around the Lido Deck pool resulted in huge numbers of people waiting to ring up their purchases. For us and our friends in a nearby cabana, the people watching was fabulous! :D[/QUOTE]

You should have seen the long lines of people shopping by the Lido Deck pool on the Veendam last week....while the ship was going through the Panama Canal !