Auto Gratuity for Spa Services

karatemom2

Is the Automatic Gratuity for Spa services something new with Princess? We just returned from our cruise on the Sapphire and I treated my daughter and her friend to manicures which cost $29. I authorized the charge on my card before the treatment and told the staff my daughter could sign for it at the completion. I instructed my daughter to add a $4 to $5 tip for each of them when she signed. When she returned to the cabin and showed me the receipts I discovered that each manicure had an added gratuity of $4.35 bring the cost to $33.35. Not realizing that was a tip, she had added and extra $5 for each manicure, meaning I was tipping nearly $10 on a $29 service. Now I'm no cheapskate when it comes to tipping, but tipping 33% for a manicure seems quite excessive. I called the spa and they said they would remove the extra tip, however, when we got our final statement this morning before disembarking I found that they never adjusted the charge. It was not a big enough deal to make a fuss over, but it rankles me in principal. Sort of feels like extortion!

Anyway, I don't remember any of my previous spa services including an automatic gratuity. It has always been something I added at my discretion, so I was curious if this was a new thing.

On our cruise 2 months ago an auto tip was added onto spa services and we were informed by the staff that it would be added so no need to tip.

I did choose to add a little extra anyway.

Last year the auto tip was not added, it was discretionary and I am glad it is now added.

Seadeck2

Is the Automatic Gratuity for Spa services something new with Princess? We just returned from our cruise on the Sapphire and I treated my daughter and her friend to manicures which cost $29. I authorized the charge on my card before the treatment and told the staff my daughter could sign for it at the completion. I instructed my daughter to add a $4 to $5 tip for each of them when she signed. When she returned to the cabin and showed me the receipts I discovered that each manicure had an added gratuity of $4.35 bring the cost to $33.35. Not realizing that was a tip, she had added and extra $5 for each manicure, meaning I was tipping nearly $10 on a $29 service. Now I'm no cheapskate when it comes to tipping, but tipping 33% for a manicure seems quite excessive. I called the spa and they said they would remove the extra tip, however, when we got our final statement this morning before disembarking I found that they never adjusted the charge. It was not a big enough deal to make a fuss over, but it rankles me in principal. Sort of feels like extortion!

Anyway, I don't remember any of my previous spa services including an automatic gratuity. It has always been something I added at my discretion, so I was curious if this was a new thing.

Interesting, I had not heard of this.....

Bob

In January my husband and I did the couple's massage and the auto tip was there. It was quite uncomfortable because both massage therapists stood there as I tried to whisper to him about the gratuity. We gave them a little extra because besides the annoying sales pitch to spend hundreds of dollars in supplements, it was a great experience!

But if I hadn't pointed it out to my husband, he would have over tipped!

Personally I don't mind the auto gratuity. It alleviates guessing on how much to tip for spa services. Now if I feel a little extra is earned I can add it, but at least most of the estimating has already been done for me.

What annoys me is that I feel like they took advantage of my daughter's youth and inexperience by not pointing out that the tip had already been added. It was a little hard to see and there was still a line for a hand written tip. It should be clearly pointed out that a gratuity has already been added, but you are welcome to leave extra if you like.

it's always been there since I have been using Spa servicws (about 15 yrs), never had a treatment without it.

I've had a quite a few without it and they always pointed out "this is your bill, it does not included any tip" hint, hint.

Mike:)

Gosh, thanks for the heads-up. The website states plainly that auto-tips do not include Spa services. I do think your daughter was taken advantage of, but i guess that's exactly how each of us learned: The hard way.

I dont mind auto-tips, but i do mind subterfuge.

Are the tips added for just services like treatments or is it added for use of the Sanctuary/Enclave too? :eek:

Just off the Emerald less than a month ago. No auto tip for the Sanctuary, we handed the stewards an envelope at the end of the cruise. No auto tip/service charge added to the thermal suite either. However, I did notice the tip added when I got a massage. I got a discounted rate so I added a little extra, but the young lady pointed out the fact it had been added. It was also printed on our daily platters.

Tell her not to feel bad about it. My CPA son did the same thing, not wanting to take the time to analyze the receipt for his service and make everything feel awkward. He just totally missed the automatic gratuity and added on an extra $15. Lesson learned.

Personally I don't mind the auto gratuity. It alleviates guessing on how much to tip for spa services. Now if I feel a little extra is earned I can add it, but at least most of the estimating has already been done for me.

What annoys me is that I feel like they took advantage of my daughter's youth and inexperience by not pointing out that the tip had already been added. It was a little hard to see and there was still a line for a hand written tip. It should be clearly pointed out that a gratuity has already been added, but you are welcome to leave extra if you like.

I agree with you. In November, I did not have my glasses on or scrutinize the bill and left a tip. When I returned to the room and discovered that they had already put a tip on for my hair style, I was NOT happy! They should have said that they were now adding gratuity. I had never seen them add a tip before. Last month, I looked for it and sure enough, the tip was already added on. So lesson learned...

Wowie, added tips in the Spa now? I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's experience that they did not tell her she was adding a double tip. Rather deceitful practice by all those in the Spa. We have mani/pedis scheduled on our next cruise and will be VERY careful before we sign the bill.

Our traditional mani/pedi was wonderful and one nail technician pointed out that tip was already included in bill but the other did not. Just an oversight I am sure, but regardless, were aware to check bill carefully thanks to Karatemom. :)

Pedi: 45.00

Mani: 29.00

Spa 15% Grat: 11.10

Total: 85.10