Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

Are there showers at the park? Plan to spend the day there, and hopefully PB as well but would prefer shower before the cab ride.

Oh, and how is the food there? I know PB is good, but may be still at Chank at lunchtime.

Thanks.

Donna

Here are 2 photos of the water front at Chankanaab. There really isn't a "beach", just sand then the rocky shore. There are chairs in the sand, but there is a limited number of them and a seemingly endless number of cruisers (at times)

14Chanakaab-shore1.jpg

15Chanakaab-shore2.jpg

For what it is worth, my family and I had a very nice afternoon at the park. They went there in the morning for the Dolphin Swim. I met them there after a couple of fantastic dives.

You can see all the photos from our cruise, including Cozumel, at Bruce's home page

(I couldn't get your pictures to load for me. Sorry, love seeing pics of Chank; brings back fond memories!)

I've been to Chankanaab twice, and it wasn't crowded either time. Had plenty of loungers to sit in under the palapas, and many were empty. Both times, I was there from about 10-3. May be according to how many ships are in port.

There's actually quite a bit of "sandy beach", but in the snorkeling area, that part of the beach has a craggy shoreline.

The lagoon area - just before you reach the larger beach area, has a sandy beach that gently slopes to the water, with loungers and palapas there as well.

Hi !!!

YES ... you found some showers with fresh water near to the dolphin area, don't worry :p ... about the food, they serve a good food, what kind I say ... !!! I work in another restaurant what kind of joke is this :confused: ... no, seriously; they serve a very good food too, if you need more info about our National Parks here in Cozumel go to

HOT !!! :eek: look in to PARK HOPPING PASSPORT AND SAVE .... you can found a very good deals !!!

So long !!!

They also have waiters to come around to take your drink orders. I have seen people with whole pineapple drinks or coconut drinks. Do they still have those>

We were just there.food was great. lockers are given to you for the day use. remember you are in Mexico don't drink the water or eat lettuce (which is washed in water). Stick to beer and sodas or bottled water. You will be very pleased with the park. did the royal swim and bought the video and photos. It was a don't miss ex-perience.

I do agree with ChardonnayKJ about not drinking tapwater. No one does. Local residents have bottled/filtered water delivered to their homes. But, I disagree when it comes to lettuce or any other fruits/vegetables. The restaurants live and die by the tourism industry. And the tourism industry lives and dies by how the tourists are treated when they're on the island. This includes food preparation. Health inspectors are very strict. One violation brings a very heavy fine. More than one could shut a restaurant down.

Veggies and fruit are rinsed with filtered water or a commercial fruit/vegetable rinse. Restaurants do not use unfiltered tapwater in any of the prepwork. That would be begging for illnesses and loss of livelihood. After multiple trips to Cozumel for extended stays I can say that neither my husband nor I have ever been sick because of anything we ate. Now, tequilia on the other hand...well, that's another story.

At any rate -- drink bottled water. Don't be afraid to order a drink with ice. The ice has been purified. And, don't be worried about any of the food. Cozumel has some of the best restaurants and food we've ever eaten. Enjoy!

No need to worry about eating the lettuce or other fresh veggies. All of the tourist places (even on the other side of the island) use purified water to wash their veggies and fix ice for their drinks.

The only thing we don't do is buy from the street vendors. Cozumel restuarants are some of the best in the world. IMO :o

Judy

Ah, Judy. You mean not even a one of those yummy hot dogs that they have that are wrapped in cheese and then bacon? Why, you haven't lived till you've had one of those. Okay. Skip the hot dogs.

But, you really haven't lived until you've had churros from the vendor on the plaza on Sunday night! Kind of like the funnel cakes that we have at our fairs. YUMM!

I'll tell you another goodie -- roasted chicken from the vendors. Oh man! Is that good! I think we got a whole roasted chicken, cole slaw, salsa, and tortillas for something like 6 bucks. Delish!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

My 75 year old Mom and I would like to visit Chankanaab Park when we're in Cozumel on a cruise stop in January. I have read many very positive comments about the park and it sounds like just what we're looking for. One concern I have: I recently saw some photos of the lagoon area with many "loungers" (?) under the palapas... but they looked like they were *without legs* and set directly on the sand. These look so low that they would be impossible for my Mom to get onto and off of. Are there any regular-type loungers, chairs or benches, or something an older person could more easily use? I really hope so! :)

Karen

Karen, I really hate to tell you, but as far as I know, those low white loungers are the only seating available. I'm not as old as your mom, but I'm not young or as agile as I used to be:rolleyes: , and it CAN be difficult.

However - last Sept., a 78 yr. old friend was with me, and she had NO problem, but I did! She takes things a little slower and easier than I do, so in taking her time, she made it just fine.

Y'know what? If I were you, I think I'd ask at the entrance if someone could get your mom a regular chair. Can't hurt to ask - I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. If they can't help you, ask at the restaurant that's near the lagoon. (Buy a coupla drinks - borrow a chair???):D

Hi Cotton!

Thanks for the info. Wow, those low white loungers do look like a challenge. I guess I'll ask my Mom what she thinks, and if she still wants to go we may just ask at the front gate about getting a regular chair. We definitely were planning on getting a drink &/or some snacks at the restaurant, so maybe we'll just hang out there. Can you see the ocean from the restaurant?

Karen :)

I have one more question..............I understand you can take a cab to the park, which I imagine is fairly easy. How easy is it to take a cab back to the pier? I know this is a silly question, but I just like to be sure we can get back,lol. thanks!

Getting cabs each way isn't a problem. We've been to the park twice, very nice. There are chairs at the restaurants. You might want to also check out Paradise Beach which doesn't have an entrance fee to get in, Chankanaab does.

Enjoy!! :D

Does Chankanab rent jet ski and para sailing? If not is there a place that does?

Thanks

Chankanaab does not have jet skis or parasailing. Those activities would clash with the snorkeling that people do right from the shore. Snorkelers and personal watercraft/ski boat don't mix.

The Beach chart on Cozumelinsider give the run down on which beach club offers what activity.

• 1 month later...

Archived