Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

"El Clavado" is the middle of the three dive shops. it is between the restraunt and the bath/changing rooms. The Bathrooms have lockers available for rent as well as a shower area. The restraunt serves great nachos and the beer is cold!!! If you do see Miguel, please tell him Bill and Amy from Texas said hello, he will probably remember me as the big guy with the beard and amy as the one he had to hold her hand the whole dive when we booked our intro to scuba there.

We arranged our own transportation from the pier to DD. We took a van at the taxi stand. It held all 8 of us and my wife's scooter with no problem. Cost was $20 one way plus tip (a taxi that held a max of 4 passenges cost $10).

We arrived at the park and checked in without incident. When it was time for our dolphin swim, we were met by Cristobal Ladron from the internet sales office. He gave me a certificate for 35% off anything that we bought from them. Since we were planning on getting multiple DVDs this seemed like a good deal.

However, when we got to checkout, they told us that the certificate could not be honored because it did not have an approved signature on it. They contacted the local manager and she rounded up Cris who was, thankfully, still on-site. After some spanish debate, the local manager agreed to give us 20% off the DVDs and 35% off pictures.

We ended up buying 4 DVDs and 2 pictures. Normal price for DVDs was $35 and the pictures were $20. Apparently, there is a discount for multiple pix, but we could not get that and also get the 35%.

Sooo, we ended up getting a total discount of about $42 which almost covered our transportation, which was the point of issue. Unfortunately, with all of the messing around, we did not have time to go snorkeling, which was disappointing.

Thanks to all who expressed an interest and offered assistance with this issue. See my review (soon to come) for info on the whole trip.

I should also point out that DD provided an assistant for my wife who helped her into and out of the water and stayed with her throughout the sea lion swim and the dolphin swim. His name was Alphonso. He was patient and kind and VERY helpful. HE deserves high praise (as well as the big tip we gave him).

I am glad that you were able to work out the transportation issue. I am eagerly awaiting your review, as my family of 5 are doing both the dolphin and sea lion swim next month. Are the DVDs well done? Do you have to pay cash, or do they take creditcards? Do you think my kids ages 8,8 and 10 will enjoy both of the swims? I would love to hear a very detailed review, and post pics if you can. Are the sea lion and dolphin DVDs separate, or can you get it all on one DVD. I am glad that DD offered you some compesnsation for their foul-up. It does not pay for your frustration, however.

The kids will love it. The DVDs are separate. The sea lion one was $29 and the dolphin one was $35. Pricey but worth it. They made us sit through viewing the DVDs before they tried to sell them to us. If I were you, I would skip the viewing and just tell the "videographer" that you want to buy it and just have them give you a slip. You have to actually purchase the DVDs at the gift shop anyway. The DVDs are high quality. The whole operation was very professional.

They accept credit cards. (Wish I had known about the Royal Swim program. I did the dolphin swim and snorkel for $140 through RC, but would have preferred the Royal Swim - which wasn't an option.)

Is there an official website for Chankanaab Park? After you pay the admission fee, do you have to book a snorkeling tour to go snorkeling there or do you just go to some designated area and go in? How much is the equipment rental? What else is in the park?

The website is:

http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/

but the English version isn't up and running yet. Check it out anyway, you may learn what you need to know.

The snorkeling at Chankanaab is right there, no need for a tour. Equipment rentals are around $7-8 not including a vest, if you want one.

What else is there:

Snorkeling

Scuba Diving

Dolphins

Sea Lions

Botanical Gardens

Tiny Museum

Mayan Ruin Replicas

Restaurants

Lie on the Beach (man made)

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We are a family of 5 from Minnesota. Kids are 17, 15, and 12. We arrived in Cozumel on the Holiday out of Mobile, AL. We were joined by another couple from MN and my sister from Ohio. We got to Cozumel at 8 am and we were surprisingly off the boat by 8:15 (thanks honey). The Inspiration was docked beside us at the pier. There was one other ship scheduled to be in port that day but we didn't see it.

The end of the pier was a labyrinth of tourist shops. We got directions to the taxi stand and were able to get a taxi van to Chankanaab Park right away. It was $20 one way (about a 10 minute ride) and easily held my wife’s three-wheeled scooter and our party of 8. Taxis that hold a max of 4 passengers cost $10.

We had purchased Package 3 from Dolphin Discovery via the internet so our itinerary was pretty much set. We paid $136 each for park admission, sea-lion show, sea-lion swim, and the Dolphin Swim Adventure, which is the middle dolphin program, between the 20 minute Dolphin Encounter you can get through the cruise ships, and the 40 minute Dolphin Royal Swim.

We were on the “list” at the entrance and were given our maps and wrist bands for the park immediately. We were there early so we had the park mostly to ourselves for a couple of hours. We checked in to the Dolphin area and they were ready for us. It would have been nice if we could have filled out all the forms before we arrived, but it didn’t take that long. Make sure to bring your reservation documents and ID to check in if you book via the web. Once we had all the wristbands for the various shows we had about an hour to wander around the park before the show.

The park was immaculate and looked very new. There was new construction going on in one area of the Botanical Gardens so we couldn’t go through all of it, but what we did see was beautiful. We got to the beach area but didn’t really investigate it due to the scooter. I never did find out if there was a way to get to the other side of the beach area without actually crossing the beach. We also went through the Archeological Park which featured many artifacts that appeared to be authentic. I enjoyed it much more than the kids of course. My wife was temporarily misplaced in the maze of paths but everyone was reunited just in time for the sea lion show.

This was pretty typical fare, almost identical to the “Sparky the Seal” show at our local zoo as far as the animal’s role, although part of the show in Coz specifically showed off the differences between the two species. Anyhow, my wife was chosen to receive the kiss from Bingo the sea lion, so she was happy before we ever got into the water.

Once the show was over, we got ready for the sea lion swim. We got into life jackets and took turns holding a large, hairy sloth while park employees took pictures of us (I can’t believe they sell many of these). We also met Alphonso, who was a DD employee that helped my wife into and out of the water and stayed with her throughout the sea lion and dolphin swims. He was incredibly kind and patient and easily earned his generous tip.

We got a short intro and then got in the water. We petted Nena the sea lion as she swam by us and held up our arms for her to jump over. We held her in our arms and she kissed us (all carefully photographed and videotaped of course). It really was pretty cool. When we got out, we were immediately taken to watch the video of the event. DVDs were available for $29.

Then we got ready for the dolphin swim. We got lifejackets again with masks and snorkels this time (no flippers) and made our way down to the dolphin area after being photographed with a pair of spectacular parrots. We spent about half the time in the water on the platform while Triton the dolphin took turns letting us pet him, giving us kisses, and shaking flippers with us. Then we swam out from the platform and Triton came and got us and pulled us back in while we held his flippers and rode on his belly. It was fantastic. Then we all swam out and floated in a circle while Triton came around and visited us and did different behaviors for us according to the hand signals that the guide had taught us.

Triton took a special liking to my wife and she got to hog most of his attention during the swim time but the rest of us thought that this was as it should be as it was her desire to go swimming with dolphins for her 50th birthday that was the entire genesis of the trip. This was without a doubt the highlight of the entire cruise. It was a remarkable experience. If I were to go again, I would pay the extra for the Royal Swim, just to get more time in the water with those amazing creatures. Naturally, when we got out of the water we were led back to the viewing area to watch the video of “The Adventure of a Lifetime.” DVDs were available for $35.

This was my only real complaint about the place. They had to make us view the DVDs before we could buy them. They should have just asked us flat out if we wanted to buy them first. We knew we were going to buy them before we ever saw them. BTW, the DVDs are very well done and even though I'm cheap, were well worth the price. We also bought two pictures.

But between viewing both DVDs, and then going to the gift shop to buy them and view the 40 or so pictures they took of us during the day – available at $20 each (discounts for quantity), and then going to the cashier to pay the bill, and then going back to the gift shop to pick up our merchandise, we spent an hour and a half dinking around. This irked me because it meant that we did not have time left to snorkle, which was the one activity that the two husbands really wanted to do. Ah well, next time for sure.

The trip back from the park was as easy as the trip there. The driver on the way back wanted $2 more than the guy who brought us, but we just took it out of his tip. We spent the last hour before boarding at the pier, browsing the shops and people watching. Many of the guests that spent the whole day drinking at various "party boat" excursions provided entertainment for us at no additional charge.

The rest of the cruise review is posted here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3904848#post3904848

I'll be happy to answer any questions as well.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing with 4 adults and kids ages 13, 9, 6, and two 3's. I think we may spend out day at this park probably without doing the dolphin swim. Can you see buy tickets to see the sea lion show? The website mentions it but doesn't provide any details. I though that might be a nice break from the beach for the kiddos. What else to do at the park?

Yes, you can buy tickets to the Sea Lion show. I believe that they were about $5 last year. You might also be able to watch people swim with the sea lions if they are having a session while you are there.

In addition to the beach and snorkeling, Chakanaub has a small archeological area, botantical gardens, an open air cafe/bar and some shopping.

We are sailing with 4 adults and kids ages 13, 9, 6, and two 3's. I think we may spend out day at this park probably without doing the dolphin swim. Can you see buy tickets to see the sea lion show? The website mentions it but doesn't provide any details. I though that might be a nice break from the beach for the kiddos. What else to do at the park?

QUOTE=Texas Trio]We are sailing with 4 adults and kids ages 13, 9, 6, and two 3's. I think we may spend out day at this park probably without doing the dolphin swim. Can you see buy tickets to see the sea lion show? The website mentions it but doesn't provide any details. I though that might be a nice break from the beach for the kiddos. What else to do at the park?

We just got back from doing this. We caught a taxi to the the park $10 for 4 people. Park admission is $12 for adults and I think maybe $10 for kids. The entrance fee allows you to walk through their gardens, view the lagoon, and see their ruin replicas. You need mosquito repellant for this. There are iguanas all through the paths. The snorkeling is free, if you have your own equipment or you can rent what you need there. They will give you a map when you enter the park so that you can find the sunken treasures while you snorkle. There are umbrellas and lounge chairs, restaurants and showers. You can buy an admission ticket to the sea lion show and I think those tickets are $10 each

AKardys,

We have been to Chakanaab 3 times and I have never seen a parasail there, but it doesn't mean that it is not availablel there. I do know you can do an introduction to scuba for about $50. per person. there is also snorkel gear available to rent. I also believe there is a dolphin encounter there, but we have never watched or participated n it. Chakanaab is a great place for the family, lots to do, and activity level for all age groups . If you do choose to do the intro to scuba we recommend the middle of the three shacks and Miguel fuentes does a great job as an instructor and dive guide(which is now required if you dive there)

Thanks...I am doing the royal swim and I'm so excited.:D
You will have a good time. Go to the park early to explore before the swim. There are plenty of things to do/see besides the nonexistent water toys. The snorkeling is pretty decent there. You can play mini-golf, explore the reproduction Mayan ruins, walk thru the botanical gardens, and get a bite to eat at the restaurant.

Want to see dolphin swim photos? click here

Chankanaab photos,

click here

Archived