Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

What is available to do at Chanknaab? My DD and I did the dolphin encounter when we were there last January but didn't have enough time to see what else there was to do. Is there info on the park?

What is available to do at Chanknaab? My DD and I did the dolphin encounter when we were there last January but didn't have enough time to see what else there was to do. Is there info on the park?
In addition to the dolphin thingy, there is:

• Seal lion swim/show
  • mini-golf
  • snorkeling
  • discover scuba
  • helmet "dive" - more of a walk really
  • reproduction Mayan ruins
  • restaurant with pretty decent food
  • botanical gardens
  • gift shops

I'm sure there is something I've forgotten, but there was enough for our family to spend most of the day there.

Admission doesn't include the dolphin or sealion swim or encounter. Don't know about the golf. Add snuba ($53) to the list of things to do and iguanas to the list of things to see! The beach is rocky, but that means the snorkeling is all the better.

Admission doesn't include the dolphin or sealion swim or encounter.
I should have mentioned the cost of participating. I don't think is cost to just watch.

Add snuba ($53) to the list of things to do and iguanas to the list of things to see! The beach is rocky, but that means the snorkeling is all the better.
I think it might be a bit more accurate to say that the shoreline is all rock, but there is nice sand behind that. Indeed, it is the rocky shoreline that makes for better snorkeling.

15Chanakaab-shore2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of doing the dolphin discovery package 4 which includes the Royal Dolphin Swim and the Sea Lion swim, sea lion show and includes park admission. Has anybody done the sea lion part. It seems many have done the dolphins, with this tour it includes both at the same price as the ships excursion for just the dolphins.

I really like sea lions so think this would be the experience of a life time.

How far is the park from the pier? Driving time?

Thanks for the help.

Sue

We did package 4 last month. We enjoyed the sea lions, but liked the dolphins better. Someone posted on the Cozumel forum their sea lion video, so you can get an idea of what it is like. Just do a search for sea lion video.

My DD and a friend did both the dolphin and sea lions swims. They actually preferred the sea lion swim. Note: If you like to snorkel, Chankanaab Park has good snorkeling from the beach too.

It depends on which pier you are docked at, but the park is about a 10 to 15 minute drive.

Chankanaab Park is about a 10-12 minute ride from the pier; Taxi's cost $10 one way and admission to the park is $10 per adult.
As already mentioned, the admission is $12 per adult, $8 for kids. Bring cash as they don't accept credit cards for admission.

Nobody knows for sure, but they should be open a month from now. I passed by today and the gatekeeper said that there was a large crew working very hard to get things cleaned up and repaired...good luck!

thanks for the info tom

1122525600.jpg

Losses estimated at two million pesos at Chankanaab Park only from the entrances fees, nevertheless, Eduardo Novelo López, president of the Foundation of Parks and Museums of Cozumel, indicated that this Thursday there are possibilities to partly open the park to tourism and to begin to generate incomes; while Punta Sur will require of approximately two months more to be able to be in condition to be visited by the tourist.

Novolo López, indicated that the electric power of Chankanaab was re-established yesterday and they calculated that by Thursday they could open service of the tourists. That would stop the losses from inactivity, mentioning that they have an approximate one or two thousand tourists for each day.

It reported that the cleaning of the park has been fast thanks to effort of the workers of the place and that will open service in comming days in a partial way.

As for sand that was lost where the tourists took the sun, they mentioned that already they are in talks with the municipal government and Terrestrial Maritime Federal Zone (Zofemat) for the acquisition of replacement sand and include the permission and authorizations so that the area affected will be filled.

As for the ecological reserve of Puna Sur, they indicated that this place depends on their natural attractions, and depends a lot on the installations. In this case all the towers of observation were knocked down for which they will have to be built others.

Arrival of marine tortoises in the beaches of the ecological reserve, the following day began to arrive an average of 50 each night, for which caution was established to avoid that they were depredados the eggs of the quelonios.

Source: Por Esto, July 27, 2005

Archived