Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

We will be in Cozumel on 1/3/2006. We plan on doing the Dolphin Royal Swim. There is a 10:00AM time available. I have read on these boards that the earlier in the day the better. Is this too early? Our ship arrives at 7:00AM (ship time) - is this enough time to get to Chanakaab and get situated?

We will be in Cozumel on 1/3/2006. We plan on doing the Dolphin Royal Swim. There is a 10:00AM time available. I have read on these boards that the earlier in the day the better. Is this too early? Our ship arrives at 7:00AM (ship time) - is this enough time to get to Chanakaab and get situated?

If the ship docks at 7 am, then passengers should be able to get by 8 am at the latest. Its about a 7-10 minute taxi drive to Chanakaab Park and there are alot of taxis at port.

That said, is the 7 am ship time or Cozumel time? Some ships match ship time to be the same as port time and some don't. If you are going out of Florida, the ship time may be 1 hour ahead of port time. May want to check that out to be on the safe side.

My aunt and I will be visiting Chankanaab but not doing any of the "swim with a dolphin" programs because of the high cost. Will be able to at least watch the dolphins while we are there or do we have to pay for one of the programs to even get into the dolphin area? I know there is a sea lion show - is there also a dolphin show?

Also, I've heard and read many different comments about sunscreen use at Chankanaab - can someone clarify for me what type and if possible, specific brands, that are acceptable there?

Thanks!

When we booked our upcoming dolphin/sea lion swims they noted on the contract that:

a. yes we can take our own pictures now. Used to be that you couldn't but now you can.

b. yes, there is an observation area.

No dolphin show, only sea lions.

I was also told there is a great snorkelling area. I would imagine you should be able to bring your own masks. NOt sure how old the granddaughters are however from the pics the ocean is beyond a rock wall. You have to enter by the stairs.

Hope this helps.

I was there two weeks ago. My 3rd time. It's wonderful. $10.00 cab ride for entire party each way. $12. 00 to enter. I picked up some info on park pass for $20.00 which includes 3 admissions. check out wed site

http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx

very clean, great food, umbrellas and chairs included in admission, lockers, showers, rest rooms,

if given a choice would you book through dolphin discovery or shoretrips.. Was hoping to book earlier than 3, but that's what DD has listed for the day we're going to be in port.. that's only a few hours to go shopping look around and don't know how late things are open in cozumel.. Shoretrips doesn't say anything's full.. so not sure which to go with.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at booking the Royal Dolphin swim at 10:00 and then spending some time in the park. The Miracle is there from 8 to 8. We were then going to go to Paradise Beach for the afternoon. Can you spend like 10-1:30 at The park and then like 2:00-6:00 at Paradise Beach and enjoy both? I am traveling with 2 18's and a 12 yr old. Just wondering if it's feasible. We can shop after 6 before going back on the ship.

Thanks for your input.

hi Donna,

Depending what time of the year you are going to be at the park, you might not to leave after your swim. We were there a few weeks ago with our kids (9 and 10) and ended up staying there all day. The parks was clean, not crowded, food was good, and the snorkeling was great. I had planned to do the same as you are, but no one wanted to leave the park! But if ya'll decide to do both, it is not a problem... there are plenty of cabs waiting for people at the parks exit. Hope your family enjoys your vacation as much as we did!!:p

Bobobeagle-I went to the website and saw info about a discount for admission to the park, but couldn't find out how to get it or print it or whatever. That discount would really help. Where di you get a discount coupon or whatever to show them at the park?

I know this has been answered in part previously, but not completely. What all is included in the $12 admission fee? And if there are extra charges for the listed stuff, how much are they?

*Mini-golf?

*The dolphin & sea lion shows (just to watch)?

*The botanical gardens?

*The replica ruins area?

*Do you have to rent chairs?

*How much is the helmet dive?

*Also, is there a charge for snorkeling aside from equipment rental?

Thanks for any info!

regarding the snorkling for grand kids, The snorkling is very good, lots of fish; however as posted it is very rocky and with wave surge can be a challenge getting in and out on rocky steps that are slippery. Add the snorkle gear and it is more of a challenge. No big deal for most but if you are trying to help small kids it can be difficult so be careful and take your time.

Cherub44: Just returned from Miracle and we went to Chankanaab while in Coz [our third time there]. No extra charge for ruins, gardens, to watch the dolphins, for chairs or for snorkeling. Extra charge to watch sea lion show. Don't know about helmet dive price [there is also SNUBA] or details about mini-golf.

Someone else asked about special sunscreen. I've seen references to biodegradable sunscreen and it seems that just means not containing PABA. Never saw anything labeled as biodegradable at home, but in the gift shop in Chank they did sell "biodegradable sunscreen"; not sure how much it cost or how it's different.

Anyone out there with info on prices within the park? We know taxi/entrance fee/dolphin packages. Still like to know snorkle rental fees, snuba program, Sea lion show, and typical prices for food ad drink. Thanks in advance -- John:p

I know this has been answered in part previously, but not completely. What all is included in the $12 admission fee? And if there are extra charges for the listed stuff, how much are they?
I'll take a shot at answering this:

*Mini-golf? no charge that I know of

*The dolphin & sea lion shows (just to watch)?dolphins are free, sea lion show costs $10 to watch

*The botanical gardens? free

*The replica ruins area? free

*Do you have to rent chairs? free, first come, first served

*How much is the helmet dive? not sure, plan about $50

*Also, is there a charge for snorkeling aside from equipment rental? no charge for snorkeling

www.caribbeanportreviews.com has a nice write up with photos of Chankanaab

Archived