Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

First-time cruiser here. :) After reading these boards for several days now, I canceled my dolphin encounter that I had booked through the cruise (Explorer of the Seas, sailing 11/6 from Miami) and booked a royal swim through dolphindiscovery.com -- but the only time they had was a 2pm slot? Will I have enough time to do the swim and still make it back to the ship? Also, where can I find out about the possible time difference?

best,

Laura

Laura, you didn't say when your ship departs Cozumel, so there is no way for us to say it the 2:00 pm time will work for you. I would allow at least 2 hours from the start of the swim to be safely back on the ship. This would not allow much, if any, time for shopping at the pier. YMMV.

Laura, you didn't say when your ship departs Cozumel, so there is no way for us to say it the 2:00 pm time will work for you. I would allow at least 2 hours from the start of the swim to be safely back on the ship.

Sorry! That's what I get for not paying attention... :o

The ship leaves at 5pm. So is a 2pm royal swim still do-able? I don't mind doing my shopping in the morning.

best,

Laura

Part of our group wants to do the Dolphins at Chankanaab & the other part wants to Beach It at Paradise beach.

Are they near enough to one another so that the Dolphin group could easily join the rest of us after their encounter?

Is there a map anywhere that shows those two places that I could download?

My DH and I are planning on doing the Dolphine Encounter while on our cruise at the end of February. All I want to know before I book is if the time on land is the same time as on cruise ship. We are docking at 10:00 am, and was looking to book Encounter at 12 noon - if times are the same, we have plenty of time to get there, but if not, it will be tight. Does anyone know about the time differences?

Thanks,

Can't wait to go on our 4th cruise...

All I want to know before I book is if the time on land is the same time as on cruise ship. We are docking at 10:00 am, and was looking to book Encounter at 12 noon - if times are the same, we have plenty of time to get there, but if not, it will be tight. Does anyone know about the time differences?

Good luck, Glowbug. I asked the same question earlier and basically got three entirely different replies: :(

1. The ship NEVER changes time zones to match the ports of call.

2. The ship ALWAYS changes time zones to match the ports of call.

3. It's captain's discretion as to whether the ship changes time.

Ultimately I canceled the royal swim I had booked at 2pm with the Dolphin Discovery people because I couldn't get a definitive answer. Instead I'm doing a dolphin encounter booked via the ship; that way, they can't leave port without me if it runs late.

best,

Laura

Thanks for the reply argent NC - so now I have e-mailed the park and asking them the same question. I am sure it will take some time for them to reply because of Wilma - they should be getting hit tonight or tomorrow. What a year for hurricanes. Also thought of booking with the ship but that gives us very little time to enjoy the park - on RC it was for only a 3 hr. excursion. I have a bit of time so I will continue to look into the time thing.

Thanks again,

Dolphin Discovery web folks are in Cancun so they too are probably preparing for the Hurricane as we are here in Cozumel.... we can tell you what time our schedule shows your ship in port, but that is no guarantee that it won't change. Your ship is the best resource to find out if they are on EST or CST. Or you can book something at 12p or 2p and if you are here between 9a-6p (common times) you have plenty of time on either end to get there and back.

This from Mexican newspapers (Google translation):

16:40 group of 17 dolphins that comprises of the attractiveness of the Chancanab park was transferred of the island from Cozumel to Port Adventure, where they have the conditions to remain per indefinite time, Ana informed Maria Ledezma and Canaam, spokeswoman of Integral the Harbor Administration of Quintana Roo.

Found here: http://*****.com/cjyzf

More on the dolphins, from the cozumelmycozumel board:

Below is the reply back to me from an e-mail I sent to the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (where Dolphin Discovery is certified)

------------------------

Good news. The dolphins are just fine.

The Alliance standards and guidelines require that there be an emergency plan for open-water facilities to address situations such as hurricanes.

The dolphins were moved to a safe pool temporarily and then moved to a sister Dolphin Discovery facility in the area that had little damage -- with plenty of space to house them successfully.

You are so sweet to be concerned about the animals and I appreciate hearing from you.

mem

Marilee Menard

Executive Director

Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums

Archived