Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

I know it is bad from to post the same message on multiple threads but I was hoping that someone could give me some help on this:

We are going to Coz in May and doing package 3 through dolphin discovery. When we originally booked the package (5 of us at $136 each), I called DD directly. I shared with the person I spoke to, Juan Miyamoto, that my wife has MS and uses a 3-wheeled scooter. She will be fine for the activity, but I was concerned about transportation to/from the ship with her scooter.

He assured me that it could be arranged for DD to pick us up and drop us off at the ship due to her special needs. He said that the transportation would be included in the package price. He also said that since it was a long time off, (we originally booked in November) I would need to finalize the arrangements closer to the cruise date. He said that DD has vans that they pick up with at the hotels and that they would just pick us up at the ship. When I asked how we would find them, he described that it would be like finding a limo at the airport: someone would be waiting on the dock with a van and a sign with our names on it. In the confirmation email he sent me he inserted the words "REMEMBER TO CONTACT ME AT LEAST 3 WEEKS BEFORE THE DATE OF YOUR PROGRAM TO ARRANGE THE TRANSPORTATION"

ANYHOW, here it is a month before the cruise. I called DD back and Juan no longer works there. I was told that DD NEVER provides transportation and that the only way to the park is by taxi. I explained the special needs thing and sent them a copy of the email from Juan. Now they are telling me that they can arrange transportation for us with an outside vendor at an outrageous price (like over $200).

I don't want to cancel the package, so I need some help. First, could a taxi handle a 3-wheeled scooter? Second, does DD pick up at any of the hotels in Coz? If so, is there an additional charge or are they comp? Third, is DD obligated to fulfill the verbal committments of their agents? Fourth, can anyone suggest alternative options for getting to the park? There are now 8 people in our party.

• 3 weeks later...

I just made a reservation through Dolphin Discovery for a Royal Swim at 3:00 and we board our ship at 5:30. She didn't seem to think it a concern or unusual and said they are very mindful of the time. (Especially with the ships.) I figured it gives us almost 1 1/2 hours to make the 15 minute taxi right back to the ship. You should be even better off with your two-hour interval!

I am assuming that the Cozumel time is the same time that the ship is using when it's docked in Cozumel. If not, we had better book it back to the ship!

Hi lisabeth!! So you are going on the Holiday with us leaving on May 14? Well welcome anyway. It is nice to get feedback on cruise "stuff" for a first time cruiser. Please let us know if you are on our ship, how many in the party, how many cruises you've been on and any other pertinent information.

Seven, count them, seven days. I am so excited. MinnesotaMan and I have done tons of shopping and starting to get stuff together to pack. Whoever knows but Corky14 you probably will. So you are saying that your whole party is arriving in pink (that's hot). What time are we usually allowed to board? And do they take pictures as you get on the ship? The reason I am asking is that we will be driving down from Minnesota. 20 hour drive. So we will look and feel disheveled. We aren't staying in any motel/hotel. Probably do some clean-up in a gas station rest room. How really exciting is it getting on a ship to go on such an extravagant and exotic vacation? We usually go camping or to visit relatives. We did do a big trip a few years back but nothing as big as this. Probably everyone has seen Titanic. Do we get to stand at the very front of the ship and say "I'm Queen of The World"? I know you can take a tour of the kitchens but what about the "cockpit" or whatever they call it on a ship? How many times a day are there opportunities to change clothes? What has been a favorite food of past cruisers? Anything to avoid? How many passengers are on this ship? Will it be loud in some areas? I mean like if you are on deck sunning, will you be able to read? What is the average weight gain for a crusier? I am going for now. I am sure I will have other questions and will be checking all the threads I'm in to see what's going on. So if this ship takes about 1,400 or more passengers, why aren't there more people checking out this site?

I don't want to cancel the package, so I need some help. First, could a taxi handle a 3-wheeled scooter? Second, does DD pick up at any of the hotels in Coz? If so, is there an additional charge or are they comp? Third, is DD obligated to fulfill the verbal committments of their agents? Fourth, can anyone suggest alternative options for getting to the park? There are now 8 people in our party.

I will see the general manager today and the big cheese of DD aand give him a copy of your post. I am sure you will hear back from him about your problem ASAP. He is a really good guy.

Actually, I just called him. I am emailing him a copy of your post. He should be able to help you fix things or at least set things straight. But he will need your email address or phone number to contact you. Can you post?

Caro, if he wants the whole email, I would be glad to forward it to him. It is kinda long, but I could post it here as well... Also, since my previous post the office has changed the price on "arranging" rather than "providing" transportation from over $200 to $112 round trip to the park for our party.

No contact from "the Big Cheese" so far. I'm off for vacation after today but I will still try to check the board and my email a few times before we leave on Friday. Only my home number will get him to me if he wants to call. I had CC remove my contact info so I hope you got it. Is there any way I could get in touch with this person?

I sent him the email addy. He won't be in the office until tomorrow morning so he hasn't seen my emails. But I did talk to him again on the phone so he is expecting them. Hope he can help you out.

We were there in January. Absolutely the highlight of the cruise. We booked through RCCL shore excursions. We had no problem getting there because we went very early in the day. Had time after to snorkel after the swim and then went back to ship, had time for lunch and then go to Cozumel to shop for jewelry.

My Wife and I will be in Cozumel on July 1st, we were thinking about Chankanaab Park and swimming with the dolphins. They have a package deal, package 4 which includes:entrance to Chankanab Park, entrance to Sea Lion Show, Dolphin Royal Swim and Sea Lion Swim for $165. It shows sold out online but when I called hey said they may be able to fit us in. Has anyone done the Sea Lion Swim? Is this all worth $165 each? Jut looking for some more information. Should we just do the Dolphin Swim?

Thanks,

Phil

Hey Phil,

We are doing package 4 on June 24th. The kids are really looking forward to swimming with both animals. It is not too much more to do package 4, versus the swim alone. It is $125 for the swim, plus $12 park entrance. For $28 more you get the sea lion swim and the show too. I figure we will only do this once, so miay as well do it all. If you do a search on this thread for sea lion swim, someone posted a video fo their sea lion swim to give you an idea.

Patty

I know how much it is to get into the park and how much the taxi ride is, but how much is it to dive in Chankanaab? I heard there are three dive shops and I assume they are all the same price, but what do they include and is one preferred over any other? Also, is one shop closer to the diving over another? There will also be snorklers in our party so is the place to snorkle the same place to dive? Thanks.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I still haven't heard anything from DD. No call, no email, no nothin'. It does not seem that whomever you contacted is particularily interested in resolving the issue. We leave for our cruise on Friday.

Not much time if cheeseman wants to contact me...

We were there in January. Absolutely the highlight of the cruise. We booked through RCCL shore excursions. We had no problem getting there because we went very early in the day. Had time after to snorkel after the swim and then went back to ship, had time for lunch and then go to Cozumel to shop for jewelry.

My DH and I are traveling the EOS 9/11/05 and wondering if we should book through RCCL, or on our own. The DD tour is at 2:30, and I do not know what time the RCCL tour is, but you say that is early...do you remember what time the RCCL tour is? And, would you book through the ship again? :)

Any thoughts/ recommendations are welcome. Thank you!

I know how much it is to get into the park and how much the taxi ride is, but how much is it to dive in Chankanaab? I heard there are three dive shops and I assume they are all the same price, but what do they include and is one preferred over any other? Also, is one shop closer to the diving over another? There will also be snorklers in our party so is the place to snorkle the same place to dive? Thanks.

We have used Miguel at El Clavado three times at Chakanaab. Miguel is a great dive guide and an excellent instructor! I am not sure that they are all the same price, but i can recommend El Clavado from personal experience. all three shops are within yards of the others. Chakanaab is great for snorkeling or diving. hope you enjoy your day at Chakanaab, it is a great place for the family to spend some time!! We took an " intro to scuba" course there which included all equipment, a lecture which lasted about 45 minutes, and then did a dive with Miguel. Seems like the dive lasted about 45 minutes also, maybe a little longer. a second dive is available if you wish to pay an additional amount. snorkeling equipment can be rented at the shop also. ($5.00 i think to rent mask,snorkel and fins) Seems like the intro to scuba was @$50.00 per person, but i am not positive about that. There is a restraunt and bath house(showers) very close to Miguels shop. The bar there serves great drinks in pineapples which are hollowed out, and the guacamole and chips are a great snack, and the beer is COLD!!!

Actually the shallow area for wading doesn't offer much to see for snorkeling- the snorkeling area has a rock stair type entry and then goes to 4 feet or so at the shallowest- I'm 5'4 and I can stand but the water hits my shoulders. I would recommend a snorkeling vest- available for rent at any of the 3 dive shops- just to make him more comfortable.

Archived