In cabin safes

Bedruthen

I just wondered if anybody has a view on how secure the cabin safe is? I know in some cruise lines there is an option to request items to go in to the pursers safe, so does that mean you shouldn't rely on the cabin safe? Just wondering

I just wondered if anybody has a view on how secure the cabin safe is? I know in some cruise lines there is an option to request items to go in to the pursers safe, so does that mean you shouldn't rely on the cabin safe? Just wondering

You have two locks on your cabin safe, your cabin door lock and the safe lock.

Realistically the only threat would be from the ship staff: security can open the safes.

I have never heard of any incident on a Cunard ship where passengers have had a safe broken in to.

David.

The safes are large enough for most of your valuables. You set the code so only you have the pin. If you are paranoid about the steward dusting the buttons for prints you can always wipe the face of the safe clean after entering the code.

However, I think it's probably best to leave major valuables (like the million dollars of gold bullion, the hope diamond, and the Picasso) with the purser.

Just keep at least $10,000 in currency with you in case the ship sinks and you need to bribe your way into a lifeboat.

Haha very funny replies everyone, but if I had half the things you suggest, I doubt I would be travelling in the cheapest cabin onboard. :). I had a friend who always insisted that her jewellery had to be deposited with the purser, as " even the cabin staff can open the safe for cleaning you know"

Haha very funny replies everyone, but if I had half the things you suggest, I doubt I would be travelling in the cheapest cabin onboard. :). I had a friend who always insisted that her jewellery had to be deposited with the purser, as " even the cabin staff can open the safe for cleaning you know"

Not true. Only security can open your safe. Your cabin steward cannot.

Not true. Only security can open your safe. Your cabin steward cannot.

Actually, security cannot open your sae unless you are in the room. We had trouble twice with a safe (once a malfunction and once operator error) and both times security came but we had to be in the room and watch them open the safe. When it was a malfunction (low battery) they were very apologtic and fixed it on the spot. When it was operator malfunction (I must have punched in the wrong number to set the safe) they attemped to ease my embrassment.

Actually, security cannot open your sae unless you are in the room. We had trouble twice with a safe (once a malfunction and once operator error) and both times security came but we had to be in the room and watch them open the safe. When it was a malfunction (low battery) they were very apologtic and fixed it on the spot. When it was operator malfunction (I must have punched in the wrong number to set the safe) they attemped to ease my embrassment.

Yes, we've also had to have security open our safe twice. One time the previous occupants left the safe locked :rolleyes: and the second time was through a fault of mine :o

Edited by Ray66

Actually, security cannot open your sae unless you are in the room. .

Well they can, strictly speaking. Obviously there would be no chance of theft when you were present.

We have found the safe locked a few times on boarding. One time, when security opened the safe there was a package in it left by the previous occupant.

David.

First thing, when we board, DH deposits his wallet and I any "valuables" from my purse, including passports--a little jewelry, iPhone. As much to have a consolidated place to store things as to assuage worry about thievery….

Big sigh of relief… Nothing to lug around.

We feel the safe is "safe" and a great convenience.

First thing, when we board, DH deposits his wallet and I any "valuables" from my purse, including passports--a little jewelry, iPhone. As much to have a consolidated place to store things as to assuage worry about thievery….

Big sigh of relief… Nothing to lug around.

We feel the safe is "safe" and a great convenience.

Yes, one of the nice things about cruising is the cash free spending.....at least until you get your final account.

David.

We always use in-room safes, ashore or at sea as like others, we find them useful to store passports, cameras, phones cc etc, but we also use the safe deposit boxes provided for items of real value or items which won't be needed during the cruise as in-room safes are compact and can be filled quite quickly. Never had cause to doubt the security of safe or safe deposit box.

The safes are large enough for most of your valuables. You set the code so only you have the pin. If you are paranoid about the steward dusting the buttons for prints you can always wipe the face of the safe clean after entering the code.

However, I think it's probably best to leave major valuables (like the million dollars of gold bullion, the hope diamond, and the Picasso) with the purser.

Just keep at least $10,000 in currency with you in case the ship sinks and you need to bribe your way into a lifeboat.

Actually, you want to keep $10,001 so YOU get the lifeboat seat and not Austcruiser. :-)

I've wondered about bringing gold/silver coins aboard on world cruises (we've not gone on one yet, but...) because you could carry more with less and change it in/sell it later on. But I suspect the very nice men with badges would ask serious questions-relating-to-smuggling if you tried to carry gold aboard. Or, would they even know?

... I've wondered about bringing gold/silver coins aboard on world cruises (we've not gone on one yet, but...) because you could carry more with less and change it in/sell it later on. But I suspect the very nice men with badges would ask serious questions-relating-to-smuggling if you tried to carry gold aboard. Or, would they even know?
US Customs doesn't seem to care about how much gold you take out of the country (as long as it's not shaped like a weapon) or how much gold you bring into the country (as long as you didn't get it in Cuba) provided that you complete all the appropriate declaration forms, if asked. No doubt every other country has its own unique import/export regulations on the subject. You will have a ball learning them and trying to follow them.

US Customs doesn't seem to care about how much gold you take out of the country (as long as it's not shaped like a weapon) or how much gold you bring into the country (as long as you didn't get it in Cuba) provided that you complete all the appropriate declaration forms, if asked. No doubt every other country has its own unique import/export regulations on the subject. You will have a ball learning them and trying to follow them.

What's the fun of carrying pockets full of gold coins if you have to tell the government about them? And DON'T tell me it is "all about the long-term investment". ;-)