NCL Pearl Crew member killed in Roatan?

mitsugirly

Yes, it is true. I was on this ship, (The Norwegian Pearl) with my Boyfriend, His parents and their entire company in the Haven Suites. We traveled to Honduras, Mexico, and Belize to travel.

Maybe 4 hours beforehand, my Boyfriend and I had walked past the area that this man had been shot and killed, and there were rumors going around on the ship about something like this happened. we had gotten back on the boat pretty early because the area does not really have much to offer besides any Excursions that were available.

The captain came onto the Intercom and he sounded very sad. a few hours after the incident had happened, he spoke to us and said something along the lines of calming our nerves and rumors and that it was true. A crew member was shot and killed. I believe they left the body on the island for investigation, but other than that, I do not know much more about this. The rest of that night was very sad, and right after the captain spoke a bit, he requested a minute of silence for this fallen man.

The rest of the week seemed okay though. Workers were still cheery and so was everyone else as we were still trying to have a good time. Everyone still had conversations as usual, but we still talked about this incident for the rest of the week to find out what might have really happened. I had friends who walked over his body. Very Sad news. Sorry for my unfortunate English. I am not very good at writing about these sort of things.

Oh! and I forgot to mention, Norwegian Cruise lines are NEVER going back to Honduras. We have insiders who are telling us that the company does not plan to go back besides this next cruise that they have planned to head over there (since it is such short notice). They are telling other cruise lines to avoid it as well, so that no one else gets hurt. It was a gamble and they took the opportunity, and now someone is dead. No more Honduras for Norwegian cruise lines, as of what I've heard from the captain, insiders, and Rumors. Also, my Boyfriends father had the entire Haven bought out by himself and his parents, and so he had VERY good and close sources. He knew the captain and they spoke on a regular basis.

Edited by Rugrat765
Missed Information.

Thank you for your information. :(

Oh! and I forgot to mention, Norwegian Cruise lines are NEVER going back to Honduras. We have insiders who are telling us that the company does not plan to go back besides this next cruise that they have planned to head over there (since it is such short notice). They are telling other cruise lines to avoid it as well, so that no one else gets hurt. It was a gamble and they took the opportunity, and now someone is dead. No more Honduras for Norwegian cruise lines, as of what I've heard from the captain, insiders, and Rumors. Also, my Boyfriends father had the entire Haven bought out by himself and his parents, and so he had VERY good and close sources. He knew the captain and they spoke on a regular basis.

Wait... No more *Honduras* or no more *Roatan*? What about Banana Coast?

Edited by The Mister

Thank you for your information. :(

Wait... No more *Honduras* or no more *Roatan*? What about Banana Coast?

I'm sure it might just be Roatan, but I am not completely sure. I wont give a definite answer though because I do not want to give out false information to those trying to figure out what happened.

Yes, it is true. I was on this ship, (The Norwegian Pearl) with my Boyfriend, His parents and their entire company in the Haven Suites. We traveled to Honduras, Mexico, and Belize to travel.

Maybe 4 hours beforehand, my Boyfriend and I had walked past the area that this man had been shot and killed, and there were rumors going around on the ship about something like this happened. we had gotten back on the boat pretty early because the area does not really have much to offer besides any Excursions that were available.

The captain came onto the Intercom and he sounded very sad. a few hours after the incident had happened, he spoke to us and said something along the lines of calming our nerves and rumors and that it was true. A crew member was shot and killed. I believe they left the body on the island for investigation, but other than that, I do not know much more about this. The rest of that night was very sad, and right after the captain spoke a bit, he requested a minute of silence for this fallen man.

The rest of the week seemed okay though. Workers were still cheery and so was everyone else as we were still trying to have a good time. Everyone still had conversations as usual, but we still talked about this incident for the rest of the week to find out what might have really happened. I had friends who walked over his body. Very Sad news. Sorry for my unfortunate English. I am not very good at writing about these sort of things.

Wait, so the captain came over the intercom to the entire ship announcing that this crew member had been murdered?

Thank you.

I have to imagine that with so much time between now and NCL's first call to Roatan (the Sun, 10/28) and Trujillo (the Jewel, 10/15), there's plenty of time to finalize a revised port schedule in either case. (Grand Cayman is a possibility, but its schedule already looks pretty crowded.)

I'm sure it might just be Roatan, but I am not completely sure. I wont give a definite answer though because I do not want to give out false information to those trying to figure out what happened.

Hmmm, I'm still torn about this. When you said they are NEVER going back, I really do find this hard to believe. NCL has announced that they cancelled Roatan for this week and that is all that has been confirmed at the moment. There has been no formal announcement by NCL or Kevin Sheehan about cancelling the port of Roatan in the future. Until I hear it directly from NCL, I don't believe that even if you are best friends with the captain of the ship that the captain would know that day or even that week that the CEO of NCL has made a decision to cancel for good. It can only be speculation at this point IMO or maybe even his thoughts. As far as that goes, Kevin Sheehan is probably still playing the waiting game to see what happens in Roatan, beefing up security, catching the killer, and so to even still make that decision as to whether or not to pull out of Roatan or not.

This I snurched from a post of Trip Advisor:

Bay Island Voice Facebook post:

"Local media reported last night that the man suspected of shooting and killing a Filipino cruise ship employee in Coxen Hole Sunday was apprehended last night in the El Swampo sector of Coxen Hole. A source said he was lured there to sell the murder weapon to raise cash to get off the island."

Mind you, one of the many challenges the island has is correct info. :0)

This I snurched from a post of Trip Advisor:

Bay Island Voice Facebook post:

"Local media reported last night that the man suspected of shooting and killing a Filipino cruise ship employee in Coxen Hole Sunday was apprehended last night in the El Swampo sector of Coxen Hole. A source said he was lured there to sell the murder weapon to raise cash to get off the island."

Mind you, one of the many challenges the island has is correct info. :0)

I didn't see this posted on Facebook, but I was on the Pearl this past week and on the final night the captain came over the intercom and stated that the suspect had been apprehended and that the Honduran authorities had all the evidence connected to the murder.

As none of us know what NCL plans to do in the future in regards to travel to Roatan, my family and I personally would not choose to go back after this incident. We had a lovely at LFK but will forever remember returning to the ship and learning this news. It's just not worth it to us.

The Pearl thread posted (12:00) today as they were getting on board that they would go to Costa Maya instead of Roatan.

The Jewel thread for 4-13 has posted (3:20) they would be going to Roatan with beefed up security next week.

Neither is from NCL directly but that is the current info based on CC postings.

In Paradise, you don't think of things such as this. I had several hundred in cash, two cell phones, camera, tablet etc. I never even thought I could be putting myself in danger, but even though you are in Paradise, you still have to use your head. That could have easily been me getting robbed so next time I will be smarter and leave it in the room. Again, with so many reputable tour guide services, I think it's probably very safe. Again, I never felt in danger and it seems that these few incidents targeted folks on their own or driving unknown streets in a rental car.... You never know what Street you Will end up on. I learned that lesson the hard way on a rough Street in DC. It can happen anywhere. Plan, research and book with folks that will keep you somewhere safe.

Hmmm, I'm still torn about this. When you said they are NEVER going back, I really do find this hard to believe. NCL has announced that they cancelled Roatan for this week and that is all that has been confirmed at the moment. There has been no formal announcement by NCL or Kevin Sheehan about cancelling the port of Roatan in the future. Until I hear it directly from NCL, I don't believe that even if you are best friends with the captain of the ship that the captain would know that day or even that week that the CEO of NCL has made a decision to cancel for good. It can only be speculation at this point IMO or maybe even his thoughts. As far as that goes, Kevin Sheehan is probably still playing the waiting game to see what happens in Roatan, beefing up security, catching the killer, and so to even still make that decision as to whether or not to pull out of Roatan or not.

Well, I didnt necessarily say we were best friends, and of cours i dont know exactly what is going on. That is what I just heard and I thought I would share in this conversation what I had heard from the company personally. Maybe it isnt true, or maybe they will change their minds. Either way, That place is Dangerous and I personally will not be returning.

Wait, so the captain came over the intercom to the entire ship announcing that this crew member had been murdered?

Of course he didn't just come onto the intercom and say "Hey, someone got murdered. Have a nice day". He simply came on the intercom and settled the rumors and had a moment of silence. He made it personal and sweet and I believe he did a great job at it. He handled the situation nicely.

Well, I didnt necessarily say we were best friends, and of cours i dont know exactly what is going on. That is what I just heard and I thought I would share in this conversation what I had heard from the company personally. Maybe it isnt true, or maybe they will change their minds. Either way, That place is Dangerous and I personally will not be returning.

Of course he didn't just come onto the intercom and say "Hey, someone got murdered. Have a nice day". He simply came on the intercom and settled the rumors and had a moment of silence. He made it personal and sweet and I believe he did a great job at it. He handled the situation nicely.

I'm sure it must have been very upsetting for everyone on the Pearl, crew and pax. Imagine having to report something like that to your superiors which the Captain would have had to do.... I'm sorry you had to go through this and I understand that while you trying to share the experience you would have been as shocked as everyone else.

It's hard to know what NCL will end up doing but if it's felt that pax and crew are going to continue to be in danger they'll do whatever it takes to protect everyone. Our next cruise isn't until Dec. on the Sun and includes a stop in Roatan so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for trying to give us an idea of what it was like on the Pearl during this traumatic time.

Thanks for sharing but I was only going off what you said and the "way" you said it. It looked like a pretty BOLD statement, with examples to back it up. However, there's nothing really confirming it from NCL and I just found it hard to believe that they will pull out for good (or at least until they are ready to move on to the other port they have been talking about). That's all I was stating. :)

Unfortunately it seems that some posters are more concerned with missing their precious port of call than the fact that this young man lost his life! Jeez just take a flight there and spend a week. I loved Roatan but I hope ALL cruise lines respond with action

LFK did post the following on their page:

"There will be a simple vigil held for Jacob Gaban at the site of the incident where he lost his life this Sunday at 2:00 pm to honor his soul and the way he departed, please join....our deepest condolences to his family from Roatan Residents."

They also stated the following:

"This incident was very tragic and very unusual, it happened on an unusual day, A Sunday, when Cruise ship was in Roatan, Cruise ships usually don't dock in Roatan on a Sunday. This Sunday was the first Sunday and also the last that a newly installed chief of police had on Roatan <he has since been replaced> his first Sunday with minimum security installed near the cruise ship port terminal because he thought there would not be much activity there. Powers at be have taken this extremely seriously and to heart, they offered an immediate reward, beefed up security and have captured the suspect and are making every effort to eliminate any chances of this happening ever again...as it has been stated this can happen anywhere in the world...we hope, pray and prepare the best way possible that it will not happen again.....our deepest condelences and prayers to Jacob's family, may G-d bless his soul"

While maybe this explains what "might" have happened as far as the security in Roatan around the cruise ship port area on that day, I can only post what they said (and it could offer some insight to that tragic day) and thought I would share.

We were in Coxen Hole with the Pearl the week before this terrible incident and stepped outside the immediate port area to check out the Straw Market. Immediately approached by a "driver" who offered to take me anywhere, get anything (assume drugs) or find a woman. A quick no and he went off to prey on someone else. Another hustler wanted to help me shop for a lighter (he overheard me ask a security guard) ... paid him a buck and hot-footed it back to the secure area of the port and the ship. A very creepy and unsafe place.

My condolences to Jacob's family and friends.

We were in Coxen Hole with the Pearl the week before this terrible incident and stepped outside the immediate port area to check out the Straw Market. Immediately approached by a "driver" who offered to take me anywhere, get anything (assume drugs) or find a woman. A quick no and he went off to prey on someone else. Another hustler wanted to help me shop for a lighter (he overheard me ask a security guard) ... paid him a buck and hot-footed it back to the secure area of the port and the ship. A very creepy and unsafe place.

My condolences to Jacob's family and friends.

What you are describing happens in every Caribbean port. There are hustlers everywhere. These are mostly third world countries and all should be aware of that when they venture out alone. We were also approached by a hustler who offered to show us around the straw market, find us food and get us deals. After 30 minutes my husband gave him 5.00 and asked him to leave. He did. In Cozumel my husband was approached several times with offers to sell him drugs, this was on the main drag outside of the port. In Belize we had armed guards on the bus taking us to our excursion. The point I'm trying to make is Roatan is no more dangerous than any other foreign port In the Caribbean. As tourists we need to be on guard at all times and as countries wanting our dollars they need to provide adequate security. Sounds like Roatan dropped the ball here. I bet they do all they can to not let that happen again. It is a sad horrible event but not the norm. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

LFK did post the following on their page:

"There will be a simple vigil held for Jacob Gaban at the site of the incident where he lost his life this Sunday at 2:00 pm to honor his soul and the way he departed, please join....our deepest condolences to his family from Roatan Residents."

They also stated the following:

"This incident was very tragic and very unusual, it happened on an unusual day, A Sunday, when Cruise ship was in Roatan, Cruise ships usually don't dock in Roatan on a Sunday. This Sunday was the first Sunday and also the last that a newly installed chief of police had on Roatan <he has since been replaced> his first Sunday with minimum security installed near the cruise ship port terminal because he thought there would not be much activity there. Powers at be have taken this extremely seriously and to heart, they offered an immediate reward, beefed up security and have captured the suspect and are making every effort to eliminate any chances of this happening ever again...as it has been stated this can happen anywhere in the world...we hope, pray and prepare the best way possible that it will not happen again.....our deepest condelences and prayers to Jacob's family, may G-d bless his soul"

While maybe this explains what "might" have happened as far as the security in Roatan around the cruise ship port area on that day, I can only post what they said (and it could offer some insight to that tragic day) and thought I would share.

Oh well, so much for bragging to my DH about the CEO of NCL standing behind his passengers & crew. Just last night, I told him you had to respect the CEO & we need to support NCL more. Guess that was wasted breath. Now I'm going to have to back petal & tell DH I may have been too hasty in my praise. This decision wouldn't make or break our decision to choose NCL or not, but it definitely doesn't give them the edge anymore. At the very least, they could have waited until the fall cruises to assure they had stepped up security & reduced crime instead of taking someone's self-serving word for it.