Bringing a few snacks on Sky

I contacted the access desk last week to begin the preparations of having gluten free foods for myself. I received a form to fill out & return to help with those preparations while aboard the Sky in May. I am not real concerned about eating on board as I can always eat plain fruits & veggies, etc. My problem: I was planning to bring along a few "safe" snacks in my carry-on for those times when I won't be on the ship, etc. Gluten free might be hard to get while in the Bahamas, not sure. This was on the attached letter from the access desk: "Please be advised that guests are not allowed to bring any foods onboard. Our staff is not allowed to prepare any food brought onboard by our guests."

Has anyone successfully brought a few snacks on board? I am not talking about a lot of snacks, just a few granola bars, etc. that would endure the temperature in my bag while exploring at port. We are only taking a carry-on anyway for a 4 day Sky trip. THANKS!

We always bring on packaged snacks. My husband is diabetic and likes to have some on hand. We just pack them in the carry on or suitcase. No biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is a requirement for all ships calling at US ports, by the USPH. Only sealed, factory packaged, ready to eat foods are allowed to be brought onboard. You cannot buy a Costco tub of granola and put it in ziplock bags, for example.

I wish the security lady at pier C in MIA had read that memo. Last month when boarding Getaway, SHE confiscated 6 (store bought & sealed) packages of Lance peanut butter crackers. Even though I told her I need to eat something before I take my morning medicine, she couldn't care less. I was not happy. In retrospect, I wish I had put them in my big bag & eaten the crumbs later.

Edited by Liv4cruzin

We have brought snacks with us plenty of times and never had a problem with it. We packed them in the suitcase and checked them in. I have to admit each time I have done this, I regretted it because there was just so much to eat on the ship that we never ended up eating any of the snacks we brought.

However, your issues (with the gluten free) would justify bringing your own snacks in case you had trouble finding something at any given time.

I would definitely say go for it. :)

I wish the security lady at pier C in MIA had read that memo. Last month when boarding Getaway, SHE confiscated 6 (store bought & sealed) packages of Lance peanut butter crackers. Even though I told her I need to eat something before I take my morning medicine, she couldn't care less. I was not happy. In retrospect, I wish I had put them in my big bag & eaten the crumbs later.

She probably ate them herself.

This is a requirement for all ships calling at US ports, by the USPH. Only sealed, factory packaged, ready to eat foods are allowed to be brought onboard. You cannot buy a Costco tub of granola and put it in ziplock bags, for example.

As to the ziplock bags, that is true.

But, I bet lots of people do that.

In reality, the issue is fresh food that can spoil, have bugs, etc.

As to the ziplock bags, that is true.

But, I bet lots of people do that.

In reality, the issue is fresh food that can spoil, have bugs, etc.

Even granola can have bugs in it. The USPH requirements for food receiving are incredibly strict. Refrigerated food must be received at 41F, max, or it must be turned down. Even dented cans are not allowed to be received onboard.

I admit we did have a couple bags of opened pepperidge farm cookies on the carry on. They checked at security and let us right through. One crew member even said yum milanos! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by skiwee