ATMs Amsterdam to Zurich

Kenster

We arrive in AMS Sunday morning (4/13) and sail that night. I will probably pick up a couple hundred Euros at the Airport before we leave Houston (or maybe I should do it upon arrival in AMS?) Where would be a good place to get more cash in Amsterdam?

Are major bank ATMs readily available at the stops along the Rhine/Mosel? I'd rather not carry two weeks worth of cash on me at one time. And I would rather use a major bank ATM, not some privately owned one. Preferably one affiliated with Chase Bank.

Your guidance would be appreciated.

Ken

Ken, check with Chase to see if they participate in a global alliance with other banks. We travel with a Bank of America card and they are part of a Global ATM Alliance with banks worldwide. The listing of countries and affiliated banks is accessible on the BofA website. Hopefully Chase offers something similar. Using these major bank ATMs we don't pay the usual foreign transactions fees and receive the best exchange rates. Good Luck and have a Fantastic trip!! ~~Judy

Flew into AMS last year for an AMA cruise and yes, there is an ATM in the bag claim area. Be carful, however, as there are several ATM looking machines that are actually currency changers and you pay applicable exchange rate fees etc. It is pretty easy to tell, you just need to take a couple of seconds to make sure. Enjoy your trip!!

We had AMA transfers from the airport, so we waited until we got into Amsterdam to get Euros. The train station (right near where the boat docks) has ATMs. The only confusion was that the locals don't call them ATMs (even though the machines have those letters on them) -- unfortunately I forget what they did call them. Repeat advice: avoid Travelex, which charges exchange fees. We finally found an ING ATM and got Euros at a good rate. [We didn't have to worry about which network ING belongs to, because Schwab reimburses our ATM fees no matter what.]

Definately check with your bank, to see how they deal with "bancomats" where you will travel. My bank advised just look for the specific network. FWIW, my bank determines the exchange rate when I withdraw foreign currency, not the bank whose machine I use.

Also note that some machines will recognize your home currency, show you an exchange rate and then ask whether you will accept it. If you say yes, you will be charged in dollars (assuming you are US). If you say no, you will be charged in the local currency and your bank determines the exchange rate. I find that I get a better rate from my bank, YMMV.