How Much do I Tip.

sodafarl

Keep in mind the CD also works 14 + hrs a day so when you break it down it is not really a lot

How much do you make an hr ???

Would you work 14 hrs a day no regular weekends off

ALL the crew on the boat share in the tips from the kitchen workers to the captain

I do not know why people are always obsessed with the amount the crew make if you do not want to tip according to the guidelines then don't

Even on Scenic the Gratuities were included in the price of the cruise ...but the last night the push was on to donate extra

The Captain, ship's officers, sailors, Hotel Director and Executive Chef get tips? Sounds like more bad information.

I think we will leave the suggested amount in the generic envelopes. If we feel that our cabin steward or dining room waitress has given service above and beyond (which they virtually always do), I think it's more appropriate to give an a little extra while you thank them in person.

Someone above posted that tips with Avalon are included. This is not actually the case. You have the option to prepay the tips but they are not automatically included. Works out the same if you choose to go that way but I didn't want anyone to be confused on Avalon's policy.

You are correctly referring to Avalon's Nth American policy but I should inform you that as Australians are not used to tipping as a way of life Avalon include the gratuities in the price and provide Australian clients with a voucher to put in the box. Except for Viking and they too may have changed their policy in Australia all river cruise lines being marketed down here come with the tips included.

You are correctly referring to Avalon's Nth American policy but I should inform you that as Australians are not used to tipping as a way of life Avalon include the gratuities in the price and provide Australian clients with a voucher to put in the box. Except for Viking and they too may have changed their policy in Australia all river cruise lines being marketed down here come with the tips included.

I wish they would do that for North Americans too.

At the check out line on Viking, many people would tip on their credit cards and you would hear some do the full suggested amount, some less and some more. I think it all depends on your level of experience. We tipped a bit more than the suggested for the Director, as he was always there for every thing we needed or wanted to know and earned his pay. We did the suggested amount for the rest of the staff. I once saw a post that said to consider what you would be tipping for 3 meals at restaurants were you on a land based trip and eating out on your own in restaurants. Once I did that math in my head I thought the tips were a bargain. We never had poor service in the dining rooms, the bar and our room was always immaculate! Not once did I return from breakfast to find the room as messy as I left it. I was not sure about the suggested rates before I went on the cruise, but changed my mind by the time it was over.

Thank you for the clarification. They must add the tips into the brochure price of the Oz market to make it more convenient for you and to make sure the boat staff gets the tips they work so hard for.

I wish they would do that for North Americans too.

We have the option, Jazzbeau. But it would be simpler all around if they just jacked up the price of the cruise to cover the tips. Then they could market "No Tipping Necessary!"

The Captain, ship's officers, sailors, Hotel Director and Executive Chef get tips? Sounds like more bad information.

I am talking about an Australian company they do things differently

The cruise line advertises gratuities included the staff onboard mentioned that ALL the crew share in any extras given, even the Captain

LHT28 as you have posed that here did you complain to Scenic or at least advise them that this had happened after your cruise?

No we had other issues we were discussing with them

Back to the question

On other cruises we do given the suggested amount I much prefer they add them into the base price or just add them to your onboard account

Thank you for the clarification. They must add the tips into the brochure price of the Oz market to make it more convenient for you and to make sure the boat staff gets the tips they work so hard for.

Yes thats how they are marketed here, in the Avalon Waterways Australia brochure all cruise prices include all tipping. With other Globus products (Cosmus, Globus, Monograms etc) sold in Australia customers have the option of prepaying tips but not with Avalon Cruises.