Threads on NCL CC

jmele999

Disclaimer - I have been on 7 NCL cruises and 2 RCI cruises. Very loyal to NCL.

The question:

Why do I find that the RCI board is more entertaining that the NCL board. On the RCI board people often post their reviews with pictures and comments. Here I feel that people often post to complain. I love NCL and not switching to RCI.

You know I was actually thinking the same thing. I mostly frequent the RCCL board and am used to wonderful reviews with lots of pictures. I'll be sailing on Breakaway soon and came here looking for reviews. Most reviews have no pictures. Not including Gambee's review of course, which is fantastic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I could not disagree more. I just looked at every active thread on the first page of the NCL board. Every one of them were either asking for help or looking for information or posting reviews, comments, or issues about NCL cruises or ports.

Sure there are some that will post a thread negative towards their cruise or NCL but that is to be expected. We are not all zombies loyal to NCL. I don't see the NCL board as different than the other cruise lines except one exception. Royal and Carnival have much more active boards. But that is to be expected since NCL is very small in the cruise business only having about 10% of the total business.

There are several that want no dissent on the NCL forum. They get upset if someone posts a negative review or asks a redundant question. Or maybe they do dare complain something was not up to par compared to Royal or Carnival. But take it with a grain of salt.

The major difference from the other boards is threads just like this one. The boards should not be for cheerleaders only. It is called cruise critic after all. Why are some so offended over silly threads or complaints or questions? I will never understand. But every month someone posts a thread on the NCL board about people being too critical or complaining. What board are they talking about? The majority of all posts are very positive of NCL.

i do love reviews with pictures, I didn't post any with my review cuz I am technologically impaired. :o

But it does always surprise me how few people write reviews. On our cruise we were full and I have seen 2 reviews!

I think it would be great if everyone wrote about their experience good or bad. I learn so much from these boards and writing a review is my way of contributing.

Random complaint about complaints.

I've never been on other lines but I do so often goto other cruise lines forums and see the same types of things posted as I would see on ncl forum. Complaints, reviews, compliments, questions....

It's time consuming to write a good review and more work when posing/linking picturess, as it involved uploading them to a cloud storage or server, etc. after trimming, filtering & enhancing some of the photos. Scanning Dailies into PDF's is work - not easily done after being out of the office for a week to 10 days and trying to catch up at work, and to cope with reality at home without that Room Service or Housekeeping Button ;)

I started taking notes on the tablet as a blog during the cruise to capture those thoughts & must comment or share, so that once I get time to sit down & write them up, it can speed the composition into a useful review and not just a overtly negative or critical review without constructive feedback.

I amend my SIGnature lines to include linked CC reviews as it's often hard to find over time, buried deep in page 456 or whatever - "lost" a lot of pictures on a photo hosting site (many of us did, I knew) from older cruises and I just don't have the luxury of time to go back & do them all over again - especially when some of those older/smaller NCL ships have retired/left the fleet & changes had taken place.

To see our BA review from 10 days ago, you need to go to page 3 or 4 at this moment and it's there, with pictures - it doesn't tell the whole story of our week on the ship, personal pix not uploaded as it involved privacy of other extended family members (unless, I can "shaded" them out into darkness.) But, I did this one with an emphasis on Inside Staterooms as there are tons of them on the extended balconies, FWD/AFT mini/suites & those penthouses, etc. - mine tilted for the "ordinary" folks, so to speak. The "Search" button does work & often do yield very useful thread links - it's a "moderated" forum so there's probably 25 new ones about bringing bottled water or soda, 15 new ones on internet, and 33 new ones about best time to arrive at the pier, etc. every 60 days, etc. - you get the idea. It's the nature & dynamics of the NCL forum here on CC.

We've learned a great deal hanging out here, when we can, so sharing ours with a review is our way of paying back, time permitting - that's our two cents on OP's comment/question.

I could not disagree more. I just looked at every active thread on the first page of the NCL board. Every one of them were either asking for help or looking for information or posting reviews, comments, or issues about NCL cruises or ports.

Sure there are some that will post a thread negative towards their cruise or NCL but that is to be expected. We are not all zombies loyal to NCL. I don't see the NCL board as different than the other cruise lines except one exception. Royal and Carnival have much more active boards. But that is to be expected since NCL is very small in the cruise business only having about 10% of the total business.

There are several that want no dissent on the NCL forum. They get upset if someone posts a negative review or asks a redundant question. Or maybe they do dare complain something was not up to par compared to Royal or Carnival. But take it with a grain of salt.

The major difference from the other boards is threads just like this one. The boards should not be for cheerleaders only. It is called cruise critic after all. Why are some so offended over silly threads or complaints or questions? I will never understand. But every month someone posts a thread on the NCL board about people being too critical or complaining. What board are they talking about? The majority of all posts are very positive of NCL.

So glad that you replied. We all come to cc for different reasons, but we a love NCL

So I think that the main point of my post was not clearly understood. I am not asking for everyone to be an NCL cheerleader or for everyone to post a review with pictures. I was just making an observation regarding the post on RCI CC vs. NCL CC. I agree that NCL is small compare to RCI and Carnival, but I think that we all have all a lot to offer.

I would like to rephrase my questions and ask what is the difference between us (NCL cc) and RCI. I feel like I can always find an interesting thread on RCI cc, but not on NCL. Maybe it is is just that I read NCL CC more often than RCI CC.

So I think that the main point of my post was not clearly understood. I am not asking for everyone to be an NCL cheerleader or for everyone to post a review with pictures. I was just making an observation regarding the post on RCI CC vs. NCL CC. I agree that NCL is small compare to RCI and Carnival, but I think that we all have all a lot to offer.

I would like to rephrase my questions and ask what is the difference between us (NCL cc) and RCI. I feel like I can always find an interesting thread on RCI cc, but not on NCL. Maybe it is is just that I read NCL CC more often than RCI CC.

I agree. The NCL fanboys are almost overwhelming on this site. The RCCL and Carnival boards are much more helpful, fun, and social. I am fairly new to NCL but the 3 roll calls I have joined have all been very slow/non-existent. There also seems be be a lot of posters here that think that are the end all and be all of information. They will belittle and attack people at a drop of the hat. I am glad that the attitude of these boards dont carry over to the ships or NCL would not be for me at all.

I think the attitude comes from years of having to defend the choice to use NCL over other lines. It has given some people the underdog mentality that seems to now permeate the forum. You cant even mention another line without a drove of people coming to say how that is just copying NCL....its is kinda sad really.

Most people come here to ask simple questions, and more then a few times I have seen them comment that they will not post anymore because of the negative reactions to questions be a segment of this forum...That is a terrible way to support a company you say you love IMHO...

6&8

I often wonder why CC allows reviews in the forums at all? Shouldn't those be in the Reviews section?

One time I submitted a review in the review section and received an email telling me that my review was not detailed enough and was recommended to write it in the message boards??? I just resubmitted it with more details and it posted, but was surprised that they had told me that.

I often wonder why CC allows reviews in the forums at all? Shouldn't those be in the Reviews section?

Can't post pics in the review section.

I see just about equal amounts of "whining" in all the CCL, RCCL, and NCL threads. The more spirited ones are the sniping between CCL loyalists vs the RCCL loyalists.

It's been awhile, but the last time I visited a Princess thread I ran into yet another...."Everyone needs to wear a tux/gown on formal night" thread. We all know how much fun those can be.:D

It's time consuming to write a good review and more work when posing/linking picturess, as it involved uploading them to a cloud storage or server, etc. after trimming, filtering & enhancing some of the photos. Scanning Dailies into PDF's is work - not easily done after being out of the office for a week to 10 days and trying to catch up at work, and to cope with reality at home without that Room Service or Housekeeping Button ;)

I started taking notes on the tablet as a blog during the cruise to capture those thoughts & must comment or share, so that once I get time to sit down & write them up, it can speed the composition into a useful review and not just a overtly negative or critical review without constructive feedback.

I amend my SIGnature lines to include linked CC reviews as it's often hard to find over time, buried deep in page 456 or whatever - "lost" a lot of pictures on a photo hosting site (many of us did, I knew) from older cruises and I just don't have the luxury of time to go back & do them all over again - especially when some of those older/smaller NCL ships have retired/left the fleet & changes had taken place.

To see our BA review from 10 days ago, you need to go to page 3 or 4 at this moment and it's there, with pictures - it doesn't tell the whole story of our week on the ship, personal pix not uploaded as it involved privacy of other extended family members (unless, I can "shaded" them out into darkness.) But, I did this one with an emphasis on Inside Staterooms as there are tons of them on the extended balconies, FWD/AFT mini/suites & those penthouses, etc. - mine tilted for the "ordinary" folks, so to speak. The "Search" button does work & often do yield very useful thread links - it's a "moderated" forum so there's probably 25 new ones about bringing bottled water or soda, 15 new ones on internet, and 33 new ones about best time to arrive at the pier, etc. every 60 days, etc. - you get the idea. It's the nature & dynamics of the NCL forum here on CC.

We've learned a great deal hanging out here, when we can, so sharing ours with a review is our way of paying back, time permitting - that's our two cents on OP's comment/question.

Thanks. I'll check out your review.

A forum shows 40 threads per page by default. A typical photo blog/review spans many pages and posts and naturally gets bumped to the top of the forum more often. Whereas simple questions and answers drop off as soon as they are answered.

It's just natural for Carnival and Royal to have more reviews showing because they have more ships and passengers and hence more reviewers and more people to engage in conversations. However, they both have their share of heated conversations as well. Tipping, smoking, bacon police are universal subjects and Cruise Critic bread and butter :p

Edited by kylenyc

The forum shows 20 threads per page by default. A typical photo blog/review spans many pages and posts and naturally gets bumped to the top of the forum. Whereas simple questions and answer drop off as soon as they are answered.

It's just natural for Carnival and Royal to have more reviews showing because they have more ships and passengers and hence more reviewers and more people to engage in conversations. They both have their share of heated conversations as well. Tipping, smoking, bacon police are universal subjects and Cruise Critic bread and butter :p

Yep...there you go, Kyle.

The whole Royal vs Carnival loyalist debates are some of the most heated in all of CC. They both love their respective cruise lines and will fight "posting death matches" to prove their way of thinking/their preferred cruise line is right.

David Sobe....you're one of the reviewers/posters that peaked my interest in NCL.

I guess I need to visit more forums when things get dull here on the NCL one!;)

P.S. there's links to two reviews with lots of pictures in my signature. Warning, we were in a penthouse suite.

Edited by planma'am

I'll be posting a review soon of the Jewel without photos. Most of us have been to Cozumel more than once and the same for Belize and Costa Maya. So no photos will be posted. We did take personal photos that IMO would be of little interest to anyone but immediate family.

A few reviews that I've seen posted on this board have too many photos and some are simply cute kids which is nice, but can get boring when several are posted.

One poster who is not on this board always posts more than one photo of herself in various outfits when answering a question. The photos have nothing to do with the question and eventually found it annoying.

So my ramblings add up to photos are helpful, entertaining and enjoyable when the photos relate to the subject. Good content can get buried when overwhelmed by too many photos. IMO a with review 10 good photos is much better than a review with several photos that are essentially more of the same. A good example are photos of the OP drinking a beer in every bar visited.

So my opinion might not be popular, but not meant to criticize:)

I agree. The NCL fanboys are almost overwhelming on this site. The RCCL and Carnival boards are much more helpful, fun, and social. I am fairly new to NCL but the 3 roll calls I have joined have all been very slow/non-existent. There also seems be be a lot of posters here that think that are the end all and be all of information. They will belittle and attack people at a drop of the hat. I am glad that the attitude of these boards dont carry over to the ships or NCL would not be for me at all.

I think the attitude comes from years of having to defend the choice to use NCL over other lines. It has given some people the underdog mentality that seems to now permeate the forum. You cant even mention another line without a drove of people coming to say how that is just copying NCL....its is kinda sad really.

Most people come here to ask simple questions, and more then a few times I have seen them comment that they will not post anymore because of the negative reactions to questions be a segment of this forum...That is a terrible way to support a company you say you love IMHO...

6&8

I could not agree more. There sure are some NCL loyalists here. From what I've seen, there's 4 or 5 that like to post on just about every topic. And don't ever talk badly about their beloved NCL. At first it was entertaining to see how strongly they defend NCL like it's their child or something, but now it's just annoying so I usually skip their posts. After my Pearl cruise, I'll probably go on Royal next so I will spend my time on their boards.

I guess I need to visit more forums when things get dull here on the NCL one!;)

P.S. there's links to two reviews with lots of pictures in my signature. Warning' date=' we were in a penthouse suite.[/quote']

Just wanted to mention, I loved both of your reviews.:D

I could not agree more. There sure are some NCL loyalists here. From what I've seen, there's 4 or 5 that like to post on just about every topic. And don't ever talk badly about their beloved NCL. At first it was entertaining to see how strongly they defend NCL like it's their child or something, but now it's just annoying so I usually skip their posts. After my Pearl cruise, I'll probably go on Royal next so I will spend my time on their boards.

I've seen the loyalists on the three boards that I have frequented and I've also seen those who wouldn't be caught dead on the cruise line in question (and I am sure this isn't just limited to the three boards I've been on). The loyalists I can understand, but I find it difficult to understand why someone would hang out on a board for a cruise line they have no intention of sailing with.

The question:

Why do I find that the RCI board is more entertaining that the NCL board. On the RCI board people often post their reviews with pictures and comments. Here I feel that people often post to complain. I love NCL and not switching to RCI.

I'm cruising both RCCL and NCL... and yes, I do noticed that RCL's thread is more active... and I dunno why..

Edited by roquejo

I agree. The NCL fanboys are almost overwhelming on this site. I am fairly new to NCL ...also seems be be a lot of posters here that think that are the end all and be all of information.

6&8

Not for nothing, but NCL has tended to be an innovator which is subsequently copied by others. Just sayin'.

I think that your comment about some who think they know all information, is probably accurate. And they probably do. There are several posters who sail 3, 4, 5 times per year with NCL and probably have a pretty accurate set of responses which they're willing to share with newbies.

You'd probably find several of their names in the Thank You thread which circulated about a month ago.

Stephen

The question:

I think it has to do with a lot of things: NCL, though similar to RCI in many ways, still has its own personality and a lot of people expect NCL to be a little different than it is. Plus, some people are honest with their opinions and can see both good and bad. There are others, especially Princess cruisers and yes, RCI loyalists that just insist on letting the world know, their line is the best. They do this in many ways, including lots of pictures and waving reviews. Those of us loyal to say, NCL have a little different outlook I think.

For the most part, I think the actual review section is pretty active.

I know we always do a review on the review section and a mini one on the board. We do not do the picture part because 1-I am not even able to handle computers for dummies yet and 2-I am not one that loves a really long, detailed review with 10 different picture of a basic cabin or 6 pictures of hubby dressing up to go to dinner. That is just me. I know many disagree.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The question:

Like Ghandi said "Be the change that you want to see"

We will expect a well written review with pictures following your next cruise.:D