Changes to RCCL Internet Packages

• 4 weeks later...

The Internet & wifi on the Jewel of the Seas was dreadful, seams they still have the old dial-up from when the ship was built in 2004. It took 10 frustrating minutes to send one email. If you do use it triple check you successfully logged off. I thought I had, and got charged $380 for one session. They did reverse the charge when I complained. The guest services manager recommended using the wifi you can find in most ports which is either free or costs a small fee. It is it hi speed. That is what we did after the first day, and had no problems.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

And that is the problem.

Great if you have purchased unlimited, but if you have only purchased one hour, or have free minutes it is wasted while waiting for pages to download.

The packages should be in MB of data rather than time.

Disney Cruises Internet Packages are changing to Data Packages. Ranging from 25c per MB down to 19c per MB if you buy a package.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/01/disney-cruise-line-internet-packages-changing-to-data-packages/

There is a steep learning curve for most passengers. Most people have no idea how much data is used in emails or photos. Also, you are being charged by the MB in BOTH directions. Personally I prefer to stay with minutes that I can absolutely control.

The CC opinions on speed are all over the map. We were just on Jewel, I used my own laptop and had absolutely no problems. On the Allure I used my own devices with the unlimited package and thought the speed was more than acceptable. Also, if you are using your own PC you can be downloading multiple internet pages at the same time you are reading your emails. There also is the problem of vendors downloading software updates to your PC and ballooning the data costs.

It's certainly not scientific, but the ship's PCs are very, very slow. The same things I can do on my own device takes twice as long on their PCs.

Just one minor nit. Speed is measured in Mega-bits (Mb) not Mega- Bytes (MB). 8 Mbs = generally = 1 MB for speed. MBs generally are used for the volume of data not the speed.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a steep learning curve for most passengers. Most people have no idea how much data is used in emails or photos. Also, you are being charged by the MB in BOTH directions. Personally I prefer to stay with minutes that I can absolutely control.

The CC opinions on speed are all over the map. We were just on Jewel, I used my own laptop and had absolutely no problems. On the Allure I used my own devices with the unlimited package and thought the speed was more than acceptable. Also, if you are using your own PC you can be downloading multiple internet pages at the same time you are reading your emails. There also is the problem of vendors downloading software updates to your PC and ballooning the data costs.

It's certainly not scientific, but the ship's PCs are very, very slow. The same things I can do on my own device takes twice as long on their PCs.

Just one minor nit. Speed is measured in Mega-bits (Mb) not Mega- Bytes (MB). 8 Mbs = generally = 1 MB for speed. MBs generally are used for the volume of data not the speed.

If you are a heavy user, uploading lots of high quality images then fair enough.

On a slooowwww connection you will eat up your minutes long before you use your data allowance!

The more people hooked up, the slower the connection is going to be.

On the recent Independence TA, there was no longer a per minute charge, just the new packages starting at $39.95 for one hour of usage

Edited by icsys

Almost more important than price is speed. It can be so slow it's unusable at times, I can only imagine if everyone stays logged in at once on their phones for emails, texts, photos, even video....

Anyone do speed tests? Or can comment having used it a lot in the cruise?

LOL Speed Tests...Now thats a good one!!

We haven't cruised for a while, so is the diamond plus coupon for a discount

only and not 45 free minutes as it used to be? Thanks.

Diamond Plus has two internet coupons, one for 45 minutes and the other for 25% off.

Diamond Plus has two internet coupons, one for 45 minutes and the other for 25% off.

Just as a note, things were different on Independence of the Seas a couple of months ago, right after they implemented the unlimited internet packages.

My Diamond coupons listed both a 20% off a package coupon and another for 60 minutes free or $29.95 off a package. After using the 60-minute coupon, I bought a package and expected to see a 20% discount show up on my SeaPass account. After not seeing it a few days later, I contacted Guest Services and was told that the coupon sheet I received was in error, and it was only the 60-minutes/$29.95 discount coupon.

I did contact RCI post-cruise support after returning home and they credited the 20% back to my credit card since it was listed on my coupon sheet.

Just as a note, things were different on Independence of the Seas a couple of months ago, right after they implemented the unlimited internet packages.

My Diamond coupons listed both a 20% off a package coupon and another for 60 minutes free or $29.95 off a package. After using the 60-minute coupon, I bought a package and expected to see a 20% discount show up on my SeaPass account. After not seeing it a few days later, I contacted Guest Services and was told that the coupon sheet I received was in error, and it was only the 60-minutes/$29.95 discount coupon.

I did contact RCI post-cruise support after returning home and they credited the 20% back to my credit card since it was listed on my coupon sheet.

Thanks for the heads up. Would be nice if Royal would get their act together, but I suspect it's just not in their corporate culture.

Edited by clarea

Can you comment on the speed/latency you observed on your recent cruises? Quantitative observations/approximations are most helpful, but qualitative observations are fine too.

I am technically challenged so bear with me. If you buy unlimited internet can you use their computers and your own device? Like can I use their desk tops for email (much easier to type with) to check on things back home and then use my Nook tablet for reading news and such?