Is the Dress Code being enforced?

This question has been in my mind since last week on the Star. Prior to out trip there was a great discussion on here about the dress code, including whether or not jeans were allowed, etc. I was even chastised at one point for my comments.

This board's discussion of this topic immediately popped in my mind last week during dinner onboard the Star in the main restaurant. I had some first time cruisers with me and had told them about the dress code. (including no jeans) They made a point to change each day prior to dinner. (not suits and dresses, but "resort casual") We then proceeded to watch entire families come into the dining room in jeans, t-shirts, warm-ups and even a couple of pairs of shorts. (even in Alaska). One family in particular I remember was dressed in the following: two teenage sons were in t-shirts and blue jeans (one faded), the wife was in shorts and the husband was in a cotton warm-up suit. Not a single person was turned away or asked to go change! My friends asked me if I was just pulling their leg about the dress code. I told them I had no idea what was going on.

Similar things happened on the other nights of our cruise when we ate in the main dining rooms. There was even a large sign outside of the Aqua restaurant that spelled out no shorts or jeans in the restaurant, but it was ignored.

My two questions:

1.) Is this happening on other NCL cruises or was it unique because it was Alaska and colder?

2.) Why is NCL not enforcing their minimual dress code? I got the instinct opinion onboard when I complained about kids running in the halls that NCL doesn't like to confront passengers. Could avoiding a possible confrontation with an irrate guest who doesn't want to change be the reason??

Opinions??

Hi,

You bring up very good concerns. I am about to leave on my first cruise and have reminded my family (DH and 2 DS) that they are not to even bring Jeans (too much of a temptation) and that they must pack at least 2 pairs of nice pants and shirts for dinner or I will not eat with them in the dining room :P It's not cheap to cruise and I feel it is only respectful to not only dress well but also to follow the dress codes on the ship. I know Americans tend to be Rebellious by nature - history attests to that as well as everyday that I go into work as a high school teacher. I understand though that it is tough to confront guests, at school we have ongoing tense dicussions about the lack of consistency with teachers confronting misbehavior and improperly dressed students.

Also, I guess many people tend to feel that after paying all that money for a cruise, they have to right to dress how they want. And then you have the socially inept. Admittedly, I am a bit nervous, this is the fanciest thing we've ever done (we are tent campers, not cruisers) but hope by taking others' advise will do ok and not offend anyone (although I may have already on here). I think it was great you gave advice on the dress code to the new cruisers-I appreciate all the advice I get here and hope to get on the ship. And just like for an interview-it is better to dress a little more formal than too casual. I also know, and have read on the board, that you behave similar to how you are dressed. I can attest to that and that is one major reason I am dressing my boys up-they always behave better when in nice clothes. Another observation I make in school as well-my students treat me with more respect when I am dressed formally rather than on the casual dress down days.

Ok, sorry went on for so long... Just wanted to share that your advice was valuable and it is too bad not all cruisers feel the same way. With all that said, tolerance is necessary everywhere. Do not let others ruin your cruise because they rebel against the rules or are socially inept. Make this cruise YOUR cruise!! I know I will make Mine all mine.

Last note-maybe if all of us creative and concerned minds can come up with creative suggestions for NCL and other lines to leave on the comment cards for ideas on how to enforce the dress code better? I know there are a variety of restaurants on the ships-could they (someone at the entrance to the dining room), point out the signs about attire, redirect the dress code violaters to the buffet when they try to enter the dining room or ask them politely to change and come back? (or better yet-have a section in the dining room for the poorly dressed similar to a smoking section). Some of these guests may not even realize they have violated the dress code?? I work in Special Education and the first thing I do with a student who has broken a rule (dress code included) is ask them if they are aware of the dress code or rules they just broke? Ok, sometimes they play ignorant, but many were just oblivious and needed a friendly reminder and guidance.

I love the line: A bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work!! :) (although I personally love my job and the students put in my life)

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule. For the most part I assume almost everyone else was dressed resort casual.

Why is it not enforced 100%. The people asked to do that job are one customer complaint from being sent home. Who knows perhaps these people were asked nicely to change and flat out refused.

If they grabbed them and tried to stop them they risk their job or worse they would become the lead story in the next NIGHTMARE thread. :eek:

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule. For the most part I assume almost everyone else was dressed resort casual.

Why is it not enforced 100%. The people asked to do that job are one customer complaint from being sent home. Who knows perhaps these people were asked nicely to change and flat out refused.

If they grabbed them and tried to stop them they risk their job or worse they would become the lead story in the next NIGHTMARE thread. :eek:

It definitely isn't enforced universally. A few years ago aboard the Sky, they were a little more strict. I remember when the Chocoholics Buffet was at midnite, they turned this one lady away because she was in shorts. She completely flipped out, but they held their line. She had to run back and put on long pants.

I found it interesting on our recent cruise on the Sea that the part of the dress code regarding jeans seems to have been eliminated. There was no mention of "no jeans" in the freestyle daily, or posted outside the dining rooms. The actual wording in the freestyle daily is no shorts or T-shirts after 5:30 pm in the main restaurants, and no tank tops, beachwear, or baseball caps for any meal period. My 19 year old DD had worn a tank top the day we boarded the ship, and I was a little worried that they wouldn't seat her when we went to the dining room for lunch, but no one said anything. I think they may be a little more relaxed for that embarkation lunch, however, as they know that the luggage won't have been delivered yet.

We did see them, however, enforcing the dress code as far as no ball caps -- and that was for the 11:30 chocolate buffet, and not dinner itself, which I found interesting. The older teen in front of us in line had a ball cap on, and was asked to remove it before entering the dining room.

I DID find this more on the Star (Mexico). Perhaps it is the management??

Some of the dress at dinner was very,very casual, to say the least.

Cgal,

I loved your post:D Some say "You are what you eat"......I say "You act how you dress" especially for kids.

I substitute teach at our local tech high school. I have many special ed students (aren`t they great:D ?) When they wear the proper attire they act better and feel better about themselves.

Believe me you will not "offend" anyone by your post. If anyone is offended, they have a problem.

I found it interesting on our recent cruise on the Sea that the part of the dress code regarding jeans seems to have been eliminated. There was no mention of "no jeans" in the freestyle daily, or posted outside the dining rooms. The actual wording in the freestyle daily is no shorts or T-shirts after 5:30 pm in the main restaurants, and no tank tops, beachwear, or baseball caps for any meal period. My 19 year old DD had worn a tank top the day we boarded the ship, and I was a little worried that they wouldn't seat her when we went to the dining room for lunch, but no one said anything. I think they may be a little more relaxed for that embarkation lunch, however, as they know that the luggage won't have been delivered yet.

We did see them, however, enforcing the dress code as far as no ball caps -- and that was for the 11:30 chocolate buffet, and not dinner itself, which I found interesting. The older teen in front of us in line had a ball cap on, and was asked to remove it before entering the dining room.

There was a post of an email from NCL indicating that the no jeans rule was waived tor Texas cruises. Same thing for Bermuda shorts (with knee shocks) on Bermuda cruises

Must have been too many complaints from those Texas cowboys who don't like to wear anything other than Wranglers :D (j/k). I hadn't seen that email from NCL, but that's interesting. We'll remember to pack other pants for trips that don't leave from Texas.

I am recently off of the Majesty.

When I read the dress-code sign at the entrance to the main diningroom, it stated as follows. "With respect to your fellow cruisers, "NO TORN JEANS WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE DININGROOM." It then continued to list the other no nos, swimwear, teeshirts, etc. Bermuda shorts with high dress hose will be allowed during the Bermuda season.

I questioned the assistant maitre D' regarding the relaxed jeans rule. "Does that mean that jeans in good condition will be allowed?" He implied that some guests were upset about NO JEANS, when asked to change, so they relaxed the rule.

However, it pleased me to note that most people continued to wear resort casual, or better, at dinner.

Seahorse- Thanks for the compliment, and yes I love the students, spec ed and non-just have a huge heart for adolescents. also love your Twain quote, had seen it before on another thread and thought of borrowing it for my classroom :) I love Twait <3

Barb- That is great to hear about the Majesty-we board her in just over 2 weeks! Thanks for posting the update on their dress code. We'll still leave the jeans at home, and good to hear that most pax wore nice clothes.

I am recently off of the Majesty.

When I read the dress-code sign at the entrance to the main diningroom, it stated as follows. "With respect to your fellow cruisers, "NO TORN JEANS WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE DININGROOM." It then continued to list the other no nos, swimwear, teeshirts, etc. Bermuda shorts with high dress hose will be allowed during the Bermuda season.

I questioned the assistant maitre D' regarding the relaxed jeans rule. "Does that mean that jeans in good condition will be allowed?" He implied that some guests were upset about NO JEANS, when asked to change, so they relaxed the rule.

However, it pleased me to note that most people continued to wear resort casual, or better, at dinner.

This may change from July 6th - who knows :confused:

This is the reply I received after sending an e-mail about the inconsistency of dinner dress code on NCL ships-

We will send notification to all ships that as per the brochures, jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms. They are allowed at the buffets and 24 hour venues like Blue Lagoon. The one exception will be the Houston departures, due to the Texas culture! Other exceptions include Bermuda shorts with knee high socks in Bermuda or scottish kilts as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda. I realize the brochure don't include these exceptions and perhaps when we go to reprint we can address.

Thanks

Lania Rittenhouse

Vice President, Hotel Operations

I suspect it depends upon the ship and the dining room. When we were on the Dawn, the dress code was enforced in the Impressions main dining room where we usually ate but I heard it wasn't always enforced in the Venetian main dining room. I also think the rules are relaxed more on the seven day cruises when there are more families and stricter on the longer cruises where there are few children.

I have been on the Sea and the Dawn. When I went on the Sea in 2002, one dining room was designated for formal wear and the other for resort casual wear, on the optional formal night. By the time I went on the Dawn in April 2004, formal wear was optional in all dining rooms on the optional formal night. However, we ate in Aqua restaurant every night and on the formal night most people seemed to be dressed up, and there were lots of families with kids on that sailing. However, other nights I saw them allow children (small ones, maybe 4 or 5 years old) to wear shorts but adults were turned away and asked to change or go to the buffet as another dining option. People got really mad.

It is the American way to be greedy, and as an American I admit that. But I think that at times, some people take it too far and I have seen some people get very nasty about it, despite the fact that the cruiseline informs you both before and during your cruise of the dress code. You hear nasty people yelling at crew members that they paid for this vacation and they will dress however they want. How far are people willing to take this? Will someone literally show up in a bikini (or less) to dinner one night and refulse to change? I know this is outlandish and probably won't happen, but still there has to me a limit. I agree with Cgal. I am also a high school teacher, and the kids are always trying to defy everything. Many adults are like this too and teach their children to be that way so it's a neverending cycle. My principal has a thing he always says to us, he tells us to be sure and enforce the "no hats to be worn in the building" rule, as if we enforce something so small so strictly, the kids might follow through with other rules and make the school safer and a better place. On the same token, he tells us that if we are too lenient with such a "small" rule that it will send a message to the kids that they can get away with breaking the rules, so they will test you further.

When I first started cruising I was 13 years old, in 1990 and we went on Royal Caribbean. There were no casual dining options, except to dine in your cabin with the room service menu. No buffet available on deck back then past 4PM or so. And everyone I saw followed the dress code and the dining room was always packed at dinner. I miss those days sometimes. What I love about modern cruising is the freestyle, the fact that I can dine whenever I want during dining room hours, especially having a little one now. But I miss people actually dressing "appropriately" according to the dress code. It's not that I get insulted, I just think a cruise is classy and I always loved that about cruising. I am sure the vast majority of us on this board are not rich, including myself, but I love to dress nice during a cruise and be treated like a queen. Just what I envision on the perfect vacation.

I plan to continue dressing resort casual at dinner on my cruises. I will teach my son the same thing, and he will be dressed that way next summer at just 18 months old! My sister does that with her daughters also, ages 4 and almost 2.

-Bonnie

I found it interesting on our recent cruise on the Sea that the part of the dress code regarding jeans seems to have been eliminated. There was no mention of "no jeans" in the freestyle daily, or posted outside the dining rooms. The actual wording in the freestyle daily is no shorts or T-shirts after 5:30 pm in the main restaurants, and no tank tops, beachwear, or baseball caps for any meal period.

The same rule didn't apply for the Sea. Jeans were allowed for dinner in the main dining rooms, b/c it's a part of Texas culture.

FROM NCL'S WEBSITE-

[/url]Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

I think the enforcement varies from ship to ship and, as someone else pointed out, even from dining room to dining room. Ultimately, the enforcement depends on who's manning the door and how much they're willing to alienate a passenger. Since comment cards are taken so seriously by the cruise lines, it's no wonder that sometimes the maitre d' or host is reluctant to be more demanding for fear of receiving undue criticism. I wouldn't doubt that a polite request is often refused by passengers. It's a difficult situation.

To me, the "resort casual" minimum requirement is great and I wish everybody would respect it because I don't consider it burdensome.

The same rule didn't apply for the Sea. Jeans were allowed for dinner in the main dining rooms, b/c it's a part of Texas culture.

FROM NCL'S WEBSITE-

[/url]Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

It is nice to see they have updated the Website in line with the message from Lania Rittenhouse Vice President, Hotel Operations. Mixed messages always creat problems.

It's interesting that these new rules posted on NCL's web site use the term "blue jeans" as opposed to "jeans" only. Is this a subtle way of letting people know that different-colored pants made of jean material (denim) is acceptable?

It's interesting that these new rules posted on NCL's web site use the term "blue jeans" as opposed to "jeans" only. Is this a subtle way of letting people know that different-colored pants made of jean material (denim) is acceptable?

I would think so. This does away with the ripped, soiled, look that some people seem to like, aren`t they usually blue?

It does seem to depend on the ship and the head waiter as to who does get into the dining room, dressed how!!! For me it is just easier not to fight the system. I would not want to be sent back to my room like a 7 year old and I really don't see what is so hard about guys wearing Docker type pants and polo shirts to dinner: gals in capris or sun dresses. I do know many lines do not enforce any code the first night as there may be a problem with luggage not arriving. NMnita

It is the American way to be greedy, and as an American I admit that. ....I am also a high school teacher, and the kids are always trying to defy everything. Many adults are like this too and teach their children to be that way so it's a neverending cycle.

-Bonnie

Hey, wait a minute now. It is NOT the American way. It IS the way of many boorish people, here as in many countries. Don't buy into that "ugly American" idea too quickly. As a former high school and university teacher I have seen that of which you speak regarding passing on boorishness and greed to children; however, I have seen much more outright dishonesty, up to the absolute limit of what one can get away with, among students who are of foreign nationality, and in particular one segment of the world which I will not name. At least we Americans can recognize this behavior and feel it worth mentioning.

I knew this would generate some comments.

First, Shoreguy, I only gave one example of a family not following the dress code, but there were MANY. My friends, who I had pre-warned about the dress code, made sure to point out every person who was in violation of the dress code. There were lots of blue jeans (a few torn and/or faded) and a great number of t-shirts. It was the same in both of the main restaurants on board.

Cliff mentioned the Chocoholics buffet. Now the dress code definately was not enforced for that event on board our ship and that is one place where I can understand. It is not a dinner, but an event and it is held late at night. How many of those people at the Chocoholics buffet went back to their cabins after endulging and went to bed! The t-shirts did not bother me there.

cgal: You are exactly right. I too teach high school special ed students (behavioraly handicapped to be exact) and I deal with the same thing. I am also straddled with a Superintendent who will do anything to keep from upsetting "taxpayers" and as a result discipline in our district is spotty because we know it will get overturned above us.

One of the things the kids love to throw at us is that their dress is "an expression of their individuality" and that it is their "right to dress as they want." I respond to them by saying that their rights and freedom of individuality end when they interfere with the rights of others. Basically, if you dress or actions are a bother to the majority around you, then that is not a right.

I don't care what NCL's dress code is. But what I hate most of all is when you put a rule or regulation in place and then simply don't enforce it. NCL has taken great care to put the regulation in their booklets, their ticket information they send you, on their website, in Freestyle Dailies (at least it was in one of mine) and at a sign on the door. I'm of the belief that if you are going to make a rule, then enforce it!

Maybe I am selfish in this matter, I took the time (and space) to not only pack the clothing I needed to meet the code, but to also inform new NCL cruisers who I was traveling with of the code so that they too would be ok. I don't like it when others snub their noses at rules and I hate it even more when the people who had the power to enforce the rule, (the maitre'd's in this case) refuse to enforce it.

While I agree that the rules should be enforced, I do have a problem with some things I see here about rules. I see some on NCL, RCI, and others, demanding the dress code and the rules on adult only areas be enforced, and then see that same poster explaining in another thread how he or she breaks the rules and sneaks booze on board. I see nothing wrong with allowing someone to bring on something for their cabin but it is the rule.

I guess, for some, it's only a rule if it involves the other guy. I believe we should ask for all the rules to be enforced, and if a rule is wrong, ask that it be changed. But as long as it's a rule, enforce it.

Learned in eight grade, a looonng time ago. Before finding fault in the other fellow, stop and count ten, ten of your own.

While I agree that the rules should be enforced, I do have a problem with some things I see here about rules. I see some on NCL, RCI, and others, demanding the dress code and the rules on adult only areas be enforced, and then see that same poster explaining in another thread how he or she breaks the rules and sneaks booze on board. I see nothing wrong with allowing someone to bring on something for their cabin but it is the rule.

I guess, for some, it's only a rule if it involves the other guy. I believe we should ask for all the rules to be enforced, and if a rule is wrong, ask that it be changed. But as long as it's a rule, enforce it.

Learned in eight grade, a looonng time ago. Before finding fault in the other fellow, stop and count ten, ten of your own.

Well said!

I don't drink (anymore) so the booze rule is easy for me.

I would like to see at least one (free) restaurant put aside and the dress code enforced. It would be nice if the pay restaurants had dress codes enforced. All the other restaurants, let people do what they think is proper for evening dress.

I think that would be a decent compromise for most.

Here's what I find funny/amusing/ironic about this whole thread: it's almost word for word the same argument that you can find on all the other CC boards. The only difference is that it's further up on the sliding scale of formality - i.e., the debate on those boards is always between those who complain that the formal night's dress code isn't sufficiently enforced vs. those who say that it's their right to dress nicely but not formally. Call me naive, but I thought that NCL had come up with the perfect solution when they introduced their Freestyle dress policy. But nooooooo (as a late, great SNLer would say)!!! Now we have people complaining that the "resort casual" policy isn't being enforced vs. those who thumb their noses at any sort of dress code, preferring to push the envelope with t-shirts and jeans.

The answer, of course, is strict enforcement of a cruise line's policy, across the board, no exceptions. Unfortunately, I just don't think that's ever going to happen. The ship's staff is very much averse to alienating passengers. While they will sometimes make a request for a change, it's rare that they will put their foot down. And I find it hard to blame them for that, since we are dealing with a customer relations issue (isn't the customer always right? ha ha).

Archived