Going on a different Royal ship of sorts; any questions?

I agree that it would certainly be convenient however I am sure that RCI looked at it from a financial viewpoint. How much space did the self serve laudry use. If it was even the equivalent of one inside cabin would it generate enough revenue to make up for the cabin rate plus the on board spend of those guests.

On our last trip we spent a couple of days pre cruise in FLL. Just around the block was a wash/ fold laundry mat. Took all of our cloths in from the first 3 days, picked them up 4 hours later. Best $17.50 spent on hat trip.

There are seven self-service laundromats on board. Each is approximately the size of TWO cabins. So call it 14 cabins. Potentially anywhere from 14 - 56 guests:eek:. That's a chunk of revenue!

No doubt any cruise line will generate far more revenue off of 14 inside cabins versus laundromats; but it sure is a really nice feature to have.

My folks will be on the Ruby b2b for 28 days, you can bet self-service laundry was a consideration in what they plan to pack.

Just pointing out differences and reflections as I go through my photos. Cruise lines offer, for the most part, similar products. It is these differences that count.

There are seven self-service laundromats on board. Each is approximately the size of TWO cabins. So call it 14 cabins. Potentially anywhere from 14 - 56 guests:eek:. That's a chunk of revenue!

No doubt any cruise line will generate far more revenue off of 14 inside cabins versus laundromats; but it sure is a really nice feature to have.

My folks will be on the Ruby b2b for 28 days, you can bet self-service laundry was a consideration in what they plan to pack.

Just pointing out differences and reflections as I go through my photos. Cruise lines offer, for the most part, similar products. It is these differences that count.

Can't even begin to think how much my DW woud be bringing for 28 dys with no laundry.:eek:

Great comparison.:)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Our cruises are typically 14+ days, so taking a couple hours on a lazy sea day to throw in a load of clothes is no skin off my nose. I exercise regularly so that is extra workout clothes times 10. Ugh.

Imagine having enough clothes to wash only after 3 days precruise....Imagine how many clothes you might have after the first week or a two week cruise!

I am curious to learn about why that new ship is controversial....think I'll see if I can't find out what all the buzz is about. We've been on the Dawn, Star, Diamond, Grand, but we said NO MORE OLD SHIPS....too much lipstick on a pig. I wouldn't mind trying the new Princess and Reflection on Celebrity.

Ahhh......so many ships, so little time.

LMaxwell, as one that spends most of my time on Royal Caribbean, but considering that Princess is now on the West Coast, and Royal Caribbean is not, I have been sailing more on Princess lately.

I also follow the Princess board, and many of the tried and true diehard Princess fans, are not impressed with the new Royal Princess. The cabins are small, there is a soot problem, especially with the suite balconies that are on the stern of the ship.

I really appreciate your taking this opportunity to tell us what you liked and did not like about Princess. In my opinion, and food is a very selective subject, I like the food on Princess better than Royal Caribbean. RC's food has gone downhill, a bit too far for my taste.

I love a JS better than a mini-suite on Princess.

The full suites on Royal Caribbean are far better than the full suites on Princess. Their Grand Suite is miniscule compared to any Royal Suite, on any ship larger than the Sovereign Class.

I'll look at your pictures when you get them posted.:)

Rick

The elevator situation on the Royal Princess is a 100 % deal breaker for us, It forces all the younger, healthier people to use an elevator at mid ship, leading to the things you saw...and that was just on a 3 hour BVE at dock.

The Princess cheerleading squad would have you walk half the length of the ship to get to the forward or aft elevator towers, where there are stairways as well, go to your new deck and then hike back to the center of the ship.

Phoooeeey to that.

There is a center ship stairway at mid ship but it is closed to passengers. Supposedly, Princess didn't want to spend the three million dollars it would have taken to put carpeting in as well as other steps to make it usable to passengers. What was top management thinking??

Thanks LMaxwell - Great review and comparison.

I wish RC would offer laundry stations on each floor. I loved that feature on Princess. I responded to a post about people sneaking travel irons and steamers on RC.... and the outcry was ridiculous. If ironing is such a safety problem then there is no reason to not offer a "controlled" area.

Sorry for venting

I should mention this too; boarding for main passengers did not start until 12:00PM; that is a bit later than RCI typically begins boarding. However, when you board a Princess ship the staterooms are ready. No back packs and carry on luggage all over the place clogging up areas. No, you don't pay extra for your room to be ready like Carnival charges. It doesn't matter if you are new or cruised 100 times, your room is ready.

A difference also; the room number placards are on the wall next to the door and have a slot behind to hold "mail". This is a more elegant solution than sliding information under the door. This is something I never really thought about before until I saw it in use and admit it is something that is easier to use, especially for people with any sort of back or joint issues.

They also print a business sized card that slots into the room number placard with the guest names. I'm not fond of that. 1. It is wasteful of resources. 2. I'd simply prefer not to have my name displayed in the hallway. I am sure removal of the card is simple.

I DID get turned around a few times! Royal Caribbean ships are easier to navigate and have better "flow".

Wanting to avoid the absolute CLUSTERFUDGE at the central elevators when walking through the Horizon Court / Bistro I took the aft elevators down to Deck 6.

This puts you right outside of the Allegro Dining room (extreme aft). But the galley for all MDR's is in front of you, so you either go in the dining room...or have to go up and over.

So I took the stairs to Deck 7; Promenade, and went outside (rain had stopped). But you can't walk forward! The "Promenade" only goes around the back of the ship and a very small percentage of the side. Once you get to where the lifeboats are you can't "walk behind them". And while the area behind the lifeboats is not wide it is definitely large enough to safely and comfortably walk; but is blocked off. Another stupid design. I didn't like the Promenade track on Allure, but at least that one was USABLE.

There is another section of "Promenade" midship as well but again, nothing really usable. At least the section that you ARE actually able to walk on is wide with some rather large padded loungers and great sea views.

The only way forward from this point is a longish corridor up the starboard side. This takes you past a lot of nice venues; Wheelhouse Bar and Crown Grill in particular LOOK gorgeous but they are just sort of along the corridor; there is no wall to separate them from the corridor. It all looks inviting and I wouldn't NOT eat there because of it...but it comes off more as a sitting area than a restaurant at first. Just...odd. My idea of pay for dining doesn't include being sat in the middle of the only corridor running front to back on one of the most venue laden decks on the ship.

I have heard this promenade deck outdoor issue may potentially be resolved on Regal.

As crazy as I feel for typing it...I totally get why people are annoyed with the elevators. It's a major blunder. There actually is a set of finished stairs amidships; but they basically run from Deck 4 (Medical) to Deck 7; so they are almost totally useless as well. These are aft of the Atrium and NOT the fancy steps in the atrium (the ones I noted as being sized and spaced weirdly, definitely hold on there).

Tea Time - They offer a Tea Time for $10pp:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: or $20pp:eek::eek::eek: but comes with a glass of champagne. They had a lovely display of all sorts of exotic teas.

I am sure they offer a "standard" variety of teas around the ship and there as pastries and snacks all over that are quite good. I wouldn't pay $20 a day for my wife and I to have "tea time". That's just my opinion, but there you go, you decide.

I remember when RCI used to have a tea time with cookies and snack (and ice cream sundae setups) mid afternoon although they no longer do this. Then again I remember shooting shot guns off the back of ships and golfers wailing balls into the water too, so...

Tea Time - They offer a Tea Time for $10pp:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: or $20pp:eek::eek::eek: but comes with a glass of champagne. They had a lovely display of all sorts of exotic teas.

I am sure they offer a "standard" variety of teas around the ship and there as pastries and snacks all over that are quite good. I wouldn't pay $20 a day for my wife and I to have "tea time". That's just my opinion, but there you go, you decide.

I remember when RCI used to have a tea time with cookies and snack (and ice cream sundae setups) mid afternoon although they no longer do this. Then again I remember shooting shot guns off the back of ships and golfers wailing balls into the water too, so...

Princess offers something like High Tea on the QM2, but not quite. They do offer scones and clotted cream, and some pastry's. Of the times I have been on Princess, I have only taken advantage of this once.

On the QM2, it was a daily occurance, in the afternoon, for me to enjoy a great cup of tea, and all that went with it.

Rick

Princess offers something like High Tea on the QM2, but not quite. They do offer scones and clotted cream, and some pastry's. Of the times I have been on Princess, I have only taken advantage of this once.

On the QM2, it was a daily occurance, in the afternoon, for me to enjoy a great cup of tea, and all that went with it.

Rick

I should clarify my comment. I do not know what exactly is served with their tea service. And for many people the cost is low enough to justify the expense vs experience. My point is they DO offer a standard variety of teas for free and that the availability and quality of cakes, cookies, pastries, etc. that is free is also quite good.

So if I wanted tea time it would certainly be possible to do so and have it be quite enjoyable, if not as high end as the hosted event, and for no charge.

Food is of course very subjective, but I was impressed by the overall variety on display and everything I sampled was quite good. I wish I had had the stomach to try Alfredo's after sampling the pool side pizza as it was excellent, really like a pizzeria. I need another BVE...

I am not a spa person. I do not want to purchase and probably will never purchase spa treatments. That said I did take a brief tour of the spa. I had a price list of all services and placed it in my office but since my wife operates under MEFNR (Meffner) it is gone. I remember Sauna was $199 for the week; no day passes sold. Not a big fan of paying sauna / steam room access. Those traditionally used to be part of the gym and not spa treatments. Oh well

MEFNR means "MOVE EVERYTHING FOR NO REASON"

I should clarify my comment. I do not know what exactly is served with their tea service. And for many people the cost is low enough to justify the expense vs experience. My point is they DO offer a standard variety of teas for free and that the availability and quality of cakes, cookies, pastries, etc. that is free is also quite good.

So if I wanted tea time it would certainly be possible to do so and have it be quite enjoyable, if not as high end as the hosted event, and for no charge.

Food is of course very subjective, but I was impressed by the overall variety on display and everything I sampled was quite good. I wish I had had the stomach to try Alfredo's after sampling the pool side pizza as it was excellent, really like a pizzeria. I need another BVE...

What Princess offers in the way of afternoon tea, is free! No charge! At least that is what I experienced, earlier this year.

Rick

What Princess offers in the way of afternoon tea, is free! No charge! At least that is what I experienced, earlier this year.

Rick

The times they are a-changing I guess.

"Royal Afternoon Tea -

Fresh Berries & Cream, Warm Raisin and Plain Scones, Queen of Puddings, A Selection of Finger Savories, A Choice of our specially selected Mighty Leaf Tea from the Tea Tower.

$10 per person

$20 per person includes a glass of Champange

Note: Additional 15% gratuity applies."

That's me reading off the picture of the sign at the Tea Tower

More research has shown that they offer tea time in the dining room for free; this is a "special" tea time that is held in the Piazza for a charge. I guess someone demanded $10 tea?

Edited by LMaxwell

Hey LMaxwell, thx for doing this review... quite cool. I wish I had this opportunity with different ships.

With the absolutely rotten single supplement issue on RCL, I've been trying to read & learn a lot about other lines as it looks like I'll be branching out a bit perhaps. Now that you've been on this new ship, how do you compare it to NCL or CCL bigger ships?

Hey LMaxwell, thx for doing this review... quite cool. I wish I had this opportunity with different ships.

With the absolutely rotten single supplement issue on RCL, I've been trying to read & learn a lot about other lines as it looks like I'll be branching out a bit perhaps. Now that you've been on this new ship, how do you compare it to NCL or CCL bigger ships?

I have not been on any of the NCL ships and not any of the bigger CCL ships; been a while since I sailed Carnival. I plan to send a letter to each major cruise company and ask how to do a similar ships tour or to be pointed towards an agent that will bring me aboard.

I'm not sure where you are located in BC but it may be worth contacting Princess to see if they offer the Bon Voyage Experience. They had not posted 2014 dates so I had to call in and request what was available at my local port.

I'm not sure where you are located in BC but it may be worth contacting Princess to see if they offer the Bon Voyage Experience. They had not posted 2014 dates so I had to call in and request what was available at my local port.

I'm pretty sure they used to do it years ago (2 sis-in-laws used to work Princess here in Vancouver), but I've not heard of this in recent years.... good call, I'll chk.

I've done 1 X ship, 2 NCL, 1 HAL and then Princess Golden only for 1 night (repo Seattle to Vancouver). I'm careful with my comparisons as I would think being a primarily RCL cruiser that most would think I'm biased. I personally was very "blah" and neutral regarding Golden compared to RCL: great buffet and extra food, bad MDR, didn't like the flow or public spaces, thought the pool areas were poor, loved the decor and elegance of the ship. I've read a couple of very recent CCL vs. RCL reviews that I feel were very non-biased and sincere, much like yours here, so I'm leaning towards trying CCL for the first time my next solo.

I really like your take here, and the style of how you presented it. Very well done, especially since your so very well versed with RCL :). Considering how well I think I know RCL now I find it intriguing to maybe write a review in the next year about my first CCL cruise here for you guys maybe :eek:

maybe write a review in the next year about my first CCL cruise here for you guys maybe :eek:

Thank you for your kind words. You definitely should write a review of your next cruise, no matter the line you choose, and make comparisons and contrasts to what you know from RCI.

This site has helped me tremendously with tips, tricks, facts, figures, etc...this is just one way to pay it back; by showing some RCI fans what else is out there and what I think was a plus or minus with it. I'm in no way a professional writer or have any formal training; just took some notes and photos along the way and am thinking about my own personal preferences but also trying to explain about them.

Glad you had such a nice experience (despite the weather) on your BVE. Having spent two weeks on Royal Princess this past December my experience of the various venues, features, and amenities is of course a lot different than what someone can see and do in three hours on embarkation day, but it sure sounds like you covered a lot of ground during that time!

I'm eager to see your pictures. During my time aboard her I took well over 3000, and then narrowed it down to roughly 1300. If there is anything you missed getting a picture of let me know and I can add a link. I also have some food pictures from various venues and activities if you care to add them here as well.