Drink packages - are they really worth it?

This is an excellent question. Like LarryL, I just got off the Jewel on Saturday. My DW and I purchased the premium drink package. We felt free to order what we wanted, try new drinks and have premium cocktails. We also drank 3-5 bottles of water a day. From that standpoint it was well worth it. There was no final accounting at the end of the cruise, and for that I am thankful. Here is something to keep in mind. Our bartenders poured with a heavy hand...a real heavy hand. Someone in our party sent back a margarita because all she could taste was the tequilla. Not that anyone is complaining!

On the flip side. I could have saved more than a dollar or two by using my rum runner, brought on two bottles of wine and drink the well drinks. I would have been just as happy.

On a side note, I could not drink one more fruity/frozen drink after day 4.

Had the Premium package on my TA in November and definitely felt it was worth it. I just like the fact that it's prepaid so I don't have to be concerned about the bar bill at the end of the cruise :-/

Having said that, I did drink more than I do normally (and I like a drink!) but think I got in with the wrong crowd lol.

I'm well over 40 too.

I reckon a morning drink, one with lunch, a couple in the afternoon, pre-dinner drink, wine with dinner, few drinks over the rest of the night -soon adds up - hic!

Already bought it for my cruise in June, beer package for my bro and Premium for me.

Bottoms up.

You must purchase for at least 4 days, and whenever you purchase it must extend to the end of the cruise. For example, you cannot have the package for day 2 and day 4. However, on a 7 day cruise, you could have the package for days 4-7.

From what I understand they have to be 4 consecutive days, correct?

For my 25 year old nephew it is definitely worth it. His bar bill on our 4 night cruise in November on Enchantment he racked up a $600 bar bill. For me it will be worth it as I drink soda like water as well as drinking bottled water and then having my frozen drinks (which sometimes goes down like water ;) ). My sister and I plan on living it up this trip as she was recovering from surgery last time.

Sent from my ME302KL using Forums mobile app

Yep worth for me too. I am 50 and D+.

I do not care about breaking even.... not going to count drinks or save receipts either. The idea of paying one price, one time and then enjoying wine and cocktails without another thought as to what they are going to cost me is totally worth it!

It's even better with the free drink package as offered on Celebrity!

We will probably purchase the premium package for my DH for our upcoming cruise, since I've been following threads like this one to see if it will be worth it for him. I don't drink much so none for me. I'll be fine with the two bottles I'll bring on board.

One thing I'd point out is that RC is still reconciling their events that have alcohol built in as part of the cost (i.e., Prohibition party on Oasis/Allure, wine tastings at Vintages, Park 150 wine pairing, Chef's Table, etc) with the drink package. On a recent Oasis cruise, my brother asked Park 150 how they handle the issue of drink packages and the wine pairing they offer. The manager acknowledged it was an issue, and they were considering offering a partial discount to beverage package purchasers, but it wasn't available yet. I think this is kind of a silly deal breaker for those who want to do Park 150 with the pairing and/or chef's table, since it forces you to pay twice. I also don't believe they have any accommodation or reduced pricing for chef's table at this point, but am not 100% sure.

So, to weigh in on that front, I'd say if you're considering the various dining options or parties that include alcohol, that's a downside to the package, because RC hasn't quite worked out the kinks yet. It may or may not be a deal breaker, but something to consider.

DH and I are over 40 and the drink pkg does work for us. He is just a beer guy, but I like everything from the drink of the day, to beer, to a glass of wine w/ dinner. We work hard all year and save for this week of bliss so we allow ourselves to have a few extra drinks than we would usually do back in the real world. We aren't driving! :p

If I could drink enough, it would be totally worth it to me. The problem I've found when on vacation is that i'm so active and in the sun all day that alcohol makes me too sleepy. At home this is not an issue. I envy those of you who can drink enough to make it worth it. And I'm not 40 yet… Wait I will be on this next cruise. I imagine if we were not bringing our ankle biters it would be worth it for us. :D

I had the premium package on a 7-day cruise on Oasis in December. I had purchased the soda package and converted it to the premium package on day 2, although it took some doing to convince them to pro-rate it, they did. It was worth it in that I was happy to not have to worry about the cost of every drink. Did I break even? I don't know, but likely not. The port days did it for me, as I was off the ship for 3 days (even in Labadee, because I did boat excursions and did not use the bar there at all. Although we did get plenty of rum punch as part of one of our boat rides. :)). Now on my next cruise, I know I will not be off the ship as much, so it may be more worthwhile. I suppose it depends on the kind of cruise you are on and what you have planned.

One thing I did that I won't do again, was order the water package. I like to have water readily available in the room, especially at night, so I got a pack of 8....glad I only got 8....I had no idea they were ridiculously large bottles of water that were a pain to bring anywhere (at least now I know why they cost so much.:)). I had at least 3 left over and couldn't even take them home. Next time, my plan is to buy a Premium package, and grab a bottle of water from a bar any time I pass one and don't currently want a drink. This will hopefully give me a nice stockpile for the room and for excursions, and make the package a little more worthwhile. :)

Edited by fluffysue

My first RCI cruise coming up in November. Can anyone give me an idea of drinks costs so I can make a well-informed decision on this? Hubby likes guiness, and is willing to try other dark beers (to experiment), we both love mixed drinks by the pool (margaritas, piña colada, etc), and I like coronas and wine...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, everyone, for your amazing feedback and commentary on this topic. Your remarks have been extremely informative and thought provoking, most importantly, helpful.

I do have a few questions...

1. With the Select, Premium or Ultimate packages that include wine by the glass, can you use this to order wine with your dinner in the main dining room, and if so, can you order any wine you want (obviously not by the bottle but by the glass)? We usually buy a wine package and have a glass or two with dinner every night. I'm wondering if the wine by the glass that comes with these packages can be ordered in the main dining room.

2. With the Premium package that includes cocktails, are these pretty much any cocktail, including the "drink of the day"? My DW and I typically would partake in the drink of the day (at least one a day), and wonder if this would be included.

3. We are not much in the way of soda drinkers, but wondering if the fountain drinks include any other (premium) fountain soft drinks like special ice teas, lemonades, etc?

Your comments have us seriously considering the Premium package for the two of us, but we're still mulling over the cost (nearly $1000 for the two of us on our 9 night cruise).

Thank you again!

Thank you, everyone, for your amazing feedback and commentary on this topic. Your remarks have been extremely informative and thought provoking, most importantly, helpful.

I do have a few questions...

1. With the Select, Premium or Ultimate packages that include wine by the glass, can you use this to order wine with your dinner in the main dining room, and if so, can you order any wine you want (obviously not by the bottle but by the glass)? We usually buy a wine package and have a glass or two with dinner every night. I'm wondering if the wine by the glass that comes with these packages can be ordered in the main dining room. Yes, you can order wine by the glass in any of the restaurants, subject to the limits of the package.

2. With the Premium package that includes cocktails, are these pretty much any cocktail, including the "drink of the day"? My DW and I typically would partake in the drink of the day (at least one a day), and wonder if this would be included. Yes, again subject to the limit of the package, though the souvenir glass would not be included.

3. We are not much in the way of soda drinkers, but wondering if the fountain drinks include any other (premium) fountain soft drinks like special ice teas, lemonades, etc? If you're on a ship with a Freestyle Coke machine, you will have over 100 flavors to choose from. If not, then you will only have about a half-dozen flavors to choose from.

Your comments have us seriously considering the Premium package for the two of us, but we're still mulling over the cost (nearly $1000 for the two of us on our 9 night cruise).

Thank you again!

See answers in RED above.

I have a few question, was hoping someone could help. My first question is does every one in the room have to purchase the same package? Could one buy the Premium and one buy the no alcoholic package as that person rarely drinks, but would enjoy the juice water and coffee portions with an soda here or there. My other question was what type of bottled water do they carry, we would be on the Independence of the sea out of Southampton if that makes a differrence . We did call customer service about the water, however did not think to ask about the packages.

My first question is does every one in the room have to purchase the same package?

No.

Could one buy the Premium and one buy the no alcoholic package as that person rarely drinks, but would enjoy the juice water and coffee portions with an soda here or there.

Yes, you can buy one alcohol package and one non-alcohol packages; they do not have to match.

What is readily apparent in this thread is a few things

1. For a few people, going by numbers, the drink package is a good value

2. For other people dollars and cents wise the package may not make sense, but mentally it is easier to pay more in one shot. If you want pure convenience, or more of an all inclusive resort feeling, maybe the package is a good value.

3. Port intensive cruises or guests with high level C&A status that provides evening drinks already makes it much more difficult to "break even".

If you are up in the air as to whether to purchase I would say at least wait until you are on board the ship and see what you think at the time. There is no cost penalty to purchasing on board, and you may even decide to wait a day or two (there must be at least 4 consecutive days remaining of the cruise; and whenever you purchase is from that day to end of cruise) and see what your drinking habits onboard are like.

From my anecdotal experience I have had friends and family who have purchased the package and everyone seems to hit a wall around Day 4/Day 5 and just wants to detox a bit. If you are an occasional drinker, even if you let loose a bit on vacation, you may spend significantly less than the package cost. If you're ordering, say, more than 7 or 8 drinks per day, every day, the package cost is probably in your benefit.

We will probably purchase the premium package for my DH for our upcoming cruise, since I've been following threads like this one to see if it will be worth it for him. I don't drink much so none for me. I'll be fine with the two bottles I'll bring on board.

What two bottles will you bring on board? How will you get them in there, aren't they confiscated? What about water, can we bring that onboard....HELP leaving in a few days thanks so much

I see...thanks for the understanding...guess I will just purchase it for the whole cruise our 13 day cruise. I think is just to everyone that their own personal use I also forgot I got some speciality tea from star bucks also. But it could be something I could have or do without if I needed to save money.:D

I'm considering the Royal Replenish package (don't drink alcohol) and was wondering about the specialty teas. Can anyone tell me if they have flavored iced teas? I'm a southern girl and like my iced tea!

We did a 12-night, port intensive Med cruise and it was absolutely worth it as well (and both of us are over 40. :) )

Hubby doesn't drink wine, so carrying on 2 bottles of wine would be a waste - I like variety. Remember, it's not all about how much alcohol you can drink.

premium package is $55/day, so it's really $48/day + tips.

$48/day is really easy to reach, without being intoxicated, when you count in bottles of water, soda, frozen drinks (with or without alcohol), 2-3 good glasses of wine with dinner, etc. I can hit $48 and never even catch a buzz, let alone feel like I must abstain from alcohol on any given day. Even if I spend most of the day off the ship, I'm still getting my money's worth.

Having it all paid for months before I get on the ship makes it even better for me.