Why did Carnival do away with the Sushi?

adamt

So glad they are replacing the Sushi bar with the Taste Bar! Hated walking through The Promenade & smelling that fishy odor from the Sushi Bar every night. Something to look forward to on our June cruise :)

Dina

I agree perfectly with OP. It wasn't PERFECT sushi, but it was sushi!!!! My husband got me a plate every day while I was getting ready for dinner, or I would go up and enjoy wasabi until I cried.

Then on the Dream last year (Feb 2013) they didn't have sushi, they had the Taste bar. The times we went they were serving some pork something or other. I don't eat pork. I was SO disappointed. Bring the sushi back!

I'm not a big sushi fan, but if you go on a cruise that has the old menus there is one day that it is on the MDR menu as a didja (Study in Sushi) and I think you can order up to 3 appetizers. I have also heard from other people that they have it on the Lido deck buffet (for dinner I think). We always eat in MDR so I have never seen it.

I only like veggie sushi, so losing it on Carnival wasn't a big deal for me. I liked most of the offerings from the Taste Bar.

I loved Jade on RCI Mariner of the Sea. I could get veggie sushi every single night, and lots of ginger.

I will be on the Legend in August, and while none of the sushi on the menu for Bonsai appealed to me, I might check and see if a veggie sushi can be made. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Personally, the Taste Bar is a welcome addition for me, but I don't care for sushi. I do imagine there is money involved as well as supply and demand. Plus now they can show off venues on some of the other ships to give people "a taste." Maybe they will add a taste from Bonsai?

"To sushi or not to sushi, that is the question". ...................... No thank you, it's just not my cup of tea, I mean fish! I have tried ................. and then then I tried again ............... and again but alas, it was just not to be. I have tried the Taste Bar and even with fish, it did taste better. I have an open mind, however, so I have no problem with Carnival offering it. I won't go into the pricing issue.

Ah man!! I'm usually a Royal girl, and one of the few areas that I've always felt Carnival surpassed Royal in was the sushi. I'm a sushi addict, and I'm finally sailing Carnival again in Aug. and there will be no sushi??

Tear.:o

Being that you are an LA girl, and a Sushi snob, I'm surprised you liked the Sushi on Carnival. When I tried it, it was inedible. I'm a Sushi snob too, having been raised in LA and having lived in Japan for a summer. What Carnival served (and what so many Sushi restaurants in LA serve) is not really Sushi. ;);)

Edited by Fitzget

I'm not a sushi snob and rarely partake, but there were a few selections I enjoyed on Carnival. I could do without the Taste Bar altogether as we weren't very impressed. We skip it most of the time.

it's been a few months as I understand it. My last cruise, it was replaced with something else, maybe a coffee bar. I was pretty disappointed. It's rare that I can load a tray up with as much pickled ginger was I want. I could eat that stuff for days.

Where it was on the Elation at least, you still get a big, nasty dose of cigarette smoke. Loved walking through that toxic mess to get to the dining room. I'd much rather smell fish .... on a boat .... out at sea. Makes sense...lol ;)

I'm not going to tell DH there is no more sushi bar. Mediocre or not, he may make me cancel our cruise. :'(

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by christyran1228

Passionate Sushi folks here:) Regardless, it looks like it's 50/50, so I suppose I can understand that. It always seemed to be really popular any time I saw it open, and to echo my above post, it's something i'm going to miss. We would always get a plate and post up near one of the big lido picture windows and enjoy the band.

Now i suppose we'll enjoy mini tomato soups, or mini pork shoulders, or mini.......something.

I took the kids to Bonsai Sushi one day on the Breeze and we loved it. It was much better than the free stuff they served. It was good to get a sushi fix but I can live without it. I don't mind paying for it! We'll be going on the Sunshine next year and we'll go back to Bonsai for sure! :)

I am not a sushi fan at all (yes even the stuff with meat) and even I thought the sushi from the taste bar on the Legend last year was odd.

They did serve Saki with it though (Which was not free) which was a nice change from our usual strong shots to start an evening off.

There is simply no way to properly store, prepare and serve freshly prepared variety of raw and cooked fish slices & other traditional classic Japanese seafood or vegetarian items by itself as sashimi and/or sushi rolls (or, even for Tempura) on a cruise ships, especially with rising costs. Preparing them ahead of time and/or refrigerating them for later serving to guests ruined its freshness taste, depending on its offering - which are typically very restricted due to food storage & safety requirements as well as costs.

For some folks, it's similar to home-town supermarket sushi takeout in the refrigerated section and edible - just not us b/c it just isn't fresh. Just serve up a hot bowl of real buckwheat or udon noodles with clear brooth and forget about those boxed ramen noodles found at local Walmart - but, it could result in a quarter mile long lines of people waiting for their cook-to-order.

Besides, when freshness is claimed, the selections and choices are very, very limited unless it's a surcharged dining option, and even then ...

Have never tried sushi, but cannot stand the smell of it. Love plenty of other seafood, but the thought of raw fish------YUCK!:o

LOVE the new Taste Bar.

Samplings from the Blue Iguana Cantina, Steakhouse, Red Frog Pub, and Cucina are DELISH!:D:D:D

I generally wasn't a big fan of the Carnival sushi....my local grocery store has better, and the pieces were way too big. They are supposed to be one bite's worth.

I actually like the Taste Bar, especially the meatballs when they have those. Odd thing happened last cruise though. Blue Iguana night they had shredded pork, which you were supposed to eat with a toothpick. Needless to say, it didn't work well, lol!

Have never tried sushi, but cannot stand the smell of it. Love plenty of other seafood, but the thought of raw fish------YUCK!:o

LOVE the new Taste Bar.

Samplings from the Blue Iguana Cantina, Steakhouse, Red Frog Pub, and Cucina are DELISH!:D:D:D

If the sushi you experienced smelled bad, then it wasn't good sushi. Good sushi doesn't have any smell except like the sea (salty). That also goes for all kinds of fish. If it smells fishy - don't eat it. It's not fresh.

I did not miss it after the Conquest 2.0 upgrades. The sushi was mediocre at best, and it was cut too large.

I preferred trying the different samples from the different restaurants, especially ones on ships that I have not sailed on before.

I dont trust sushi on a buffet, and I have a bias against buffets anyway.

we were on the magic april 16th. we asked lets just say an employee and they said it was taken away cause a guest took it back to his room and never finished it. the next morning the room attendant noticed it was eaten between turn down service and the morning cleaning and he is trying to sue carnival for food poisining. i do get their point, but who is to say the same scenerio cant happen with room service or just bringing a plate at any meal to the room? oh well one person seems to ruin it all.

I've seen a number of folks lament over the Sushi Bar going away.

I know it wasn't the best Sushi in the world, but we all really enjoyed hitting this up before an early dinner. I'm sure cost was to blame, but I consistently see people wishing they would bring the Sushi back. It's so popular at the moment, I'm not sure why it was done away with. It was a great value add, in my opinion.

Any chance this we may see this come back?

Why did it go away? Because like many other Carnival take aways, it cost too much of course!! The continuing saga of Carnival "devaluing" their product.

I am not a sushi fan at all (yes even the stuff with meat) and even I thought the sushi from the taste bar on the Legend last year was odd.

They did serve Saki with it though (Which was not free) which was a nice change from our usual strong shots to start an evening off.

If it had meat (other than fish meat) it wasn't Sushi. ;)

If it had meat (other than fish meat) it wasn't Sushi. ;)

This is a common misconception.

Sushi actually refers to the prepared rice and not the other ingredients.

the raw fish is usually referred to as sashimi.

My husband's best friend works in Japan seasonally and hes particularly big on raw beef sushi.I have had a nibble at this type of roll to in London and figured I just dislike cold rice.

Edited by Velvetwater