Super Upset with Celebrity, Worst cruise ever!!

lthouseprincess

Having said that, I have taken 7 or 8 cruises on Royal Caribbean and always have an amazing experience. The difference in the two lines, despite they share the same parent company, is striking. The staff on RCI seems to be invested in their ship and the passengers. The ships are always clean and the service attentive.

Now I just had the opposite experience. After 17 straight Celebrity cruises we sailed our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Explorer of the Seas. While service was good, I did not feel it was an amazing experience at all. Maybe it was the ship or the sailing. Service was not bad, but did not feel anyone went above and beyond.

There were times even at the Diamond Event in the evenings we had to wait and wait for someone to come over to us and take our drink order. On a few occasions we had to actually get up to get some one to come over. Lunch in the MDR was just average service wise. Our waitress and waiter for our late seating dinner in the MDR were very good.

This is just our experience and this is not to say we have not encountered less than stellar service on past Celebrity cruises, but overall just felt something was missing from the Explorer cruise.

I have been on two Celebrity cruises and enjoyed them both, especially for the entertainment and the music. In both cases we were less than impressed with the cleanliness and the staff. The staff seemed uninterested in making the cruise extra special, except for the MDR. For us, the service was good on one cruise and very good on the next cruise. Both times we did any time dining. We are reasonably easy to please and are always happy to be on vacation.

Having said that, I have taken 7 or 8 cruises on Royal Caribbean and always have an amazing experience. The difference in the two lines, despite they share the same parent company, is striking. The staff on RCI seems to be invested in their ship and the passengers. The ships are always clean and the service attentive.

Would I sail Celebrity again? Yes, if they offered a cruise itinerary that I really wanted at a time that worked for me at the right price. However, I do not seek them out. I understand the Blu experience really sets it apart. I do actively seek out Royal Caribbean ships. I hope management hears people's concerns and steps up the service, so passengers can feel that Celebrity is truly a step above Royal Caribbean.

I have cruised with RCI many times and like the line. Just completed my second cruise on Celebrity and find Celebrity overall to be a better brand when all things are considered. I found that Celebrity is better across the board in food in all venues. Service is about the same which is very good. Entertainment on both is about the same with the exception of the Oasis class. Officers on Celebrity are out and about and very friendly. Very seldom do you see them on RCI and when you do they usually do not speak. Never saw a problem with cleanliness on either line. Both again are very good. Goes to show that we all have different opionions of what is good and bad.

I don't see us going back on RCI unless it's to try the new Oasis class ship or the Quantum class. The other ships no longer interest us.

Edited by cruisingator2

We are loyal celebrity cruisers and for sure, some cruises have been better than others. We too tried RCl two years ago on Explorer, ( Bought some friends that were new to cruising,) We were very dissappointed with service , food , and ship. . I hope OP gets a response from Celebrity soon. We have been lucky in the past and received quick responss to comment cards etc ( and yes we have had issues) I really do think that all cruise lines are cutting costs so drasticly that the cruise experience itself is being very negatively affected!

Just wondering if any of those with problems went to the cruise critic meet and greet? Usually, at least on the ones I've gone to, the management staff gives out their cards or phone numbers to call if there is a problem. I've never had to call, but what some have said on here is that a simple call to one of the management staff solved their issues immediately.

That's really sporadic. On some cruises the room is packed with officers, yet on others you're lucky if you get to see even one officer. On our last cruise we attended the captains club captains toast event and the captain and officers stayed as far from the passengers as they could...huddled behind the bar. Other officers on other cruises have freely mingled and talked with passengers and are delightful.

Doesn't sound like the op was on one of the cruises with officers being sociable and customer friendly. It happens...

We are also glad that the OP came back and further explained their experience....which sounded absolutely awful! DW and I have an awful lot of cruise experience (stopped counting after the first 3 years on ships) and are cognizant that even the best cruise lines/ships can have multiple things go wrong!

We do agree with one poster who suggested they would not have been so understanding at the time :). When we have a major negative dining situation (and it has happened a few times) we deal with the issue at the moment! If we have bad to no service, we ask the waiter (or any employee that happens to be walking by our table) to please send the Maitre'd to our table. If nobody comes, we ask again. If we are totally ignored I will sometimes leave my seat, walk to the main entrance and look for a manager. But I will not leave that dining room until I have talked with somebody in management, made it clear that the situation is not acceptable, and noted the name of the person with whom I had the discussion.

If the situation is not rectified by the next dinner we will further elevate the problem. If the folks at Guest Relations cannot promise to resolve the problem then we ask to speak to the Guest Relations supervisor. If that still does not resolve the situation then we politely request an appointment with the Hotel Manager. At every stage we keep notes on with whom we spoke and the result. I should add that after years of being a cruise passenger on far more cruises then we can list in our signature :) there has only been one time when we had an issue that got to the Hotel Manager level. In nearly every case we find that being polite, respectful, and also unyielding, seems to be the way to get results. But waiting until you get home, and then writing a complaint letter, is never a great solution. At best, you might get a sympathetic response and perhaps a future cruise credit of some sort. But we prefer to get these things resolved onboard so that we can enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Hank

We are also glad that the OP came back and further explained their experience....which sounded absolutely awful! DW and I have an awful lot of cruise experience (stopped counting after the first 3 years on ships) and are cognizant that even the best cruise lines/ships can have multiple things go wrong!

We do agree with one poster who suggested they would not have been so understanding at the time :). When we have a major negative dining situation (and it has happened a few times) we deal with the issue at the moment! If we have bad to no service, we ask the waiter (or any employee that happens to be walking by our table) to please send the Maitre'd to our table. If nobody comes, we ask again. If we are totally ignored I will sometimes leave my seat, walk to the main entrance and look for a manager. But I will not leave that dining room until I have talked with somebody in management, made it clear that the situation is not acceptable, and noted the name of the person with whom I had the discussion.

If the situation is not rectified by the next dinner we will further elevate the problem. If the folks at Guest Relations cannot promise to resolve the problem then we ask to speak to the Guest Relations supervisor. If that still does not resolve the situation then we politely request an appointment with the Hotel Manager. At every stage we keep notes on with whom we spoke and the result. I should add that after years of being a cruise passenger on far more cruises then we can list in our signature :) there has only been one time when we had an issue that got to the Hotel Manager level. In nearly every case we find that being polite, respectful, and also unyielding, seems to be the way to get results. But waiting until you get home, and then writing a complaint letter, is never a great solution. At best, you might get a sympathetic response and perhaps a future cruise credit of some sort. But we prefer to get these things resolved onboard so that we can enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Hank

Agree 100%. We resolve while onboard and do not wait until we return home.

To the original poster, what do you hope to accomplish at this point? What do you want from celebrity?

I think you did a pretty good job of trying to fix your problems on board, except maybe you did not get printout of charges? Always get a printout and review them maybe two times a cruise.

To me the dining serving issues are what they are at this point, getting to the dining room manager earlier might have helped but that is hindsight.

The least hassle on the charges might be for you and your friend to settle them between you. And protest invalid ones.

As others say at this point the most you are likely to receive is goodwill gesture of a future obc. Only you can decide if working this is worth your time. I've have chosen to vote with my feet a times vs trying to fix their problems.

I was on the 4/5 sailing (assuming the second cruise mentioned) and thought it was the best service I have had on a cruise. Great MDR waiters and bar waiters.

We, too, were on the 4/5 sailing and thought the staff was superior! Agree that Blu was fantastic. We had a terrific 5 days. First in AQ and will certainly go back!!

Yes, not received. :confused:

Hi Dorota! :) It's Sallie from your Adriatic cruise last May. Sorry that your cruise this year did not turn out so well. :( What ship were you on?

We leave in 4 weeks for a Baltics cruise out of Amsterdam, but will first fly to Germany to visit with our friends from another cruise. We fly to DUS, where we meet up with them, and then fly to Berlin for a couple of days before going to their hometown of Bocholt. From there, our friends will take us to Amsterdam where we will tour for 2 days before boarding the ship...Constellation. ;) Hallo to Dariusz!

Hi Sallie,

Wonderfull to see you at CC!

It was Summit, very strange those all stories...

How nice you coming tour!

You must visit Berlin, it is a wonderfull city.

Have a great vacaction, the weather is great in the moment.

Happy Eastern!

Dorota

I hope that the weather remains nice!

Our German friends sailed out of Miami in March. They sailed on the RCCL Allure and had a wonderful time. Perhaps you should try RCCL and the larger ships for 2015. ;) Whatever status that you have on Celebrity will automatically switch to Royal Caribbean. Both cruiselines are owned by the same company.

Thank you for the Easter happiness. :D We have a big weekend planned with our grandson that turned a year old last week. :)

We hope that our vacation this year will be smoother than last years. :(

Have a good day.

Edited by Iamthesea

To the original poster, what do you hope to accomplish at this point? What do you want from celebrity?

I think you did a pretty good job of trying to fix your problems on board, except maybe you did not get printout of charges? Always get a printout and review them maybe two times a cruise.

To me the dining serving issues are what they are at this point, getting to the dining room manager earlier might have helped but that is hindsight.

The least hassle on the charges might be for you and your friend to settle them between you. And protest invalid ones.

As others say at this point the most you are likely to receive is goodwill gesture of a future obc. Only you can decide if working this is worth your time. I've have chosen to vote with my feet a times vs trying to fix their problems.

Maybe by letting X know of her issues this will get handled and keep it from happening to the next person. Also an apology from X is in order.

Maybe by letting X know of her issues this will get handled and keep it from happening to the next person. Also an apology from X is in order.

Personally I think large businesses expect a certain amount of negative mail and requests for apologies and compensation and just toss them or handle them with form letters. If it makes one feel better to write, then do so. The apology would be too late for me after the cruise,those are cheap and easy.

If you can quantify a damage, that gets attention. Else after the cruise it's your account vs. the staffs version. JMHO