Attention carnival miracle alaska and hawaii 2014 cruisers

PhxRain

Gosh, I wish I got a free cabin. I sure wouldn't be complaining with a free vacation. As long as I wasn't at work and enjoying free time on someone else's dime, I'm in heaven. Thank Carnival for even offering it to you, since you seem ungrateful for it.

I didn't quite understand the ungratefulness either:confused:

For anyone who is considering canceling:

Did you book a 3rd party airfare and is Carnival reimbursing it in full? I tried calling 3 times today for my friend who is booked (and can't call herself during work hours). But I can't seem to get through. She just wants 100% verification that it will cover her airfare since she spent over 1700.00 on it (for 2 ppl).

She sent an e-mail over also but has not heard anything back. I'm just trying to help her out with info. Thanks!!

I didn't quite understand the ungratefulness either:confused:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397844450.483782.jpg.0feeeda9d53bad8f4ce4bcb593fc6854.jpg

Come on lemmings, follow me to the cliff!

I'm not ungrateful, I'm disappointed. But this has nothing to do with the problem at hand. You keep telling everyone to just shut up and be happy. I think most of us that are venting are here to vent. Some will canceled, some (like me) won't. But I think it is ok to question motives and kick theories around. I'm not going to just blindly accept the explanation and not question or get others feed back.

I guess you drank the Carnival cool aid.

Lose all their business? People will be upset whether they cancel for dry dock or keep going at a slower speed.

After the Triumph mishap, I doubt Carnival would take a chance and keep that ship in the water unless they were comfortable with it. They are well aware of financial loss if your ship was doomed to break down.

Let's see. Cancel one or two weeks of cruises, and deal with rescheduling 3000 to 6000 passengers on subsequent cruises, or affect a years worth of passengers totaling roughly 150,000 by altering their itinerary and a less than performing ship. Sounds like they are banking not to lose revenue on the backs of 150,000.

Go figure.

Lose all their business? People will be upset whether they cancel for dry dock or keep going at a slower speed.

After the Triumph mishap, I doubt Carnival would take a chance and keep that ship in the water unless they were comfortable with it. They are well aware of financial loss if your ship was doomed to break down.

Guess you forgot it was exposed that the Triumph was put out to sea with them knowing there was faulty stuff going on.

And then even after it returned to service, the Coast Guard wouldn't let it sail cause it failed inspection.

Guess you forgot it was exposed that the Triumph was put out to sea with them knowing there was faulty stuff going on.

And then even after it returned to service, the Coast Guard wouldn't let it sail cause it failed inspection.

Oh, please. Don't try beating that dead horse again. Are you still going to use the documentation from over a year before the Triumph fire? Didn't I see a post here that disappeared, about the feces running down the walls? Really? Is anyone still buying that fairy tale? I am no Carnival supporter, but I don't find anything wrong with Carnival's maintenance, if you cared to look at the rebuttal documentation that they provided to the public.

And yes, the failed USCG inspection was an embarrassment. It happened, and was fixed within the day, so what's the big deal? Do you even know what was at fault?

Nothing to see here, Pine Bluff, move along.

Let's see. Cancel one or two weeks of cruises, and deal with rescheduling 3000 to 6000 passengers on subsequent cruises, or affect a years worth of passengers totaling roughly 150,000 by altering their itinerary and a less than performing ship. Sounds like they are banking not to lose revenue on the backs of 150,000.

Go figure.

So you have an inside seat at the corporate office? They may very well not be able to get a drydock berth before the Alaska season is over, and are looking at possible slots in the fall/winter and will then reset the itinerary. I suppose that if they took the ship through the Panama Canal to get to an available drydock in a few weeks, you would be moaning that they are taking a "less than performing" ship for a long cruise? Why don't they just park it somewhere, with no revenue until a drydock opens up, or the parts become available, or whatever the problem is? This is a ship, and many, many items are things that the manufacturers don't stock on their shelves.

Again, move along.

Had to get popcorn to read this one...

Is what it is We plan on still going on out July Alaska cruise... More time in Victoria is great some really cool tours their that you can enjoy with the extended stay.

25% off and 50.00pp not to bad

Can't wait to see how much fun my trip will be

For anyone who is considering canceling:

Did you book a 3rd party airfare and is Carnival reimbursing it in full? I tried calling 3 times today for my friend who is booked (and can't call herself during work hours). But I can't seem to get through. She just wants 100% verification that it will cover her airfare since she spent over 1700.00 on it (for 2 ppl).

She sent an e-mail over also but has not heard anything back. I'm just trying to help her out with info. Thanks!!

Is Carnival reimbursing airfare?

Carnival is refunding "non refundable" transportation costs. From my experience you will need to provide written documentation from the airlines to this effect and there can be no double dipping.

An example would be if you paid $700 for airfare and Delta gives you $700 in credit for future use Carnival will not give you any refund monies. If you paid $700 and Delta refunded you $600 Carnival will refund you the $100 difference.

This is how it has been handled for me in past anyways. Good Luck!

Edited by belkin

Well, I just canceled, and then rebooked with Princess for less money. I'm pretty risk-averse and I just don't want to be in a position to have my vacation ruined if whatever is wrong with the ship gets worse with nonstop use between now and July. Got a full refund and was able to use my same air tickets, so yay.

I wanted to thank everyone for their insightful comments. You've "talked me down!" :)

My family and I are booked on the 7/29 cruise. It will be our 20th wedding anniversary and we're bringing our children (16 and 12) with us. I have to say, we were pretty disappointed when we first got the e-mail and started looking around at Princess and Norwegian. However, as we all know, this close out the cabins can be REALLLLLLY picked over and it would be really tough to go from a Lido deck balcony room to a lower deck porthole. Plus, the dates didn't match up with our flights and hotel arrangements.

Still bummed about missing Ketchikan and kind of apprehensive about sailing on a ship with propulsion problems, but we've decided to go ahead with our anniversary cruise. We will put that 25% off a future cruise to good use. :D

We're on that cruise too. Did you join the roll call?

If you folks don't know what happened to Celebrity cruise lines last year I would look it up. They tried to sail with a broken ship in Alaska and they finally got shut down, stranding their passengers. I would like to trust them but I only get so much vacation time can't waste it on a ship that might work. Get luck all.

We just found out our cruise ship has technical difficulties and can't go to Ketchikan...should we cancel and book norwegian or grand princess? I am worried that they are giving us a heads up and if we go- it could be a major mistake...thoughts? This is a huge trip for our 50th bdays, 20 yr anniversary, daughters sweet 16 and my mom is 78 and coming with us. We booked this months ago and got an incredible deal on carnival that swayed me but now I am really wondering what to do? Thoughts? We have only been 2 other cruises before ...both Disney ...

If you folks don't know what happened to Celebrity cruise lines last year I would look it up. They tried to sail with a broken ship in Alaska and they finally got shut down, stranding their passengers. I would like to trust them but I only get so much vacation time can't waste it on a ship that might work. Get luck all.

We are on the Spetember 2 sailing, our port times are now longer in Ketchikan and Victoria with no itineary change, go figure. Anyway, we are not given the choice to cancel for a full refund. Just like in life and our business, I don't worry about things I can't control.

If they run out of duct tape and it breaks down prior to our trip, we will still book and be on a diffrent ship somewhere in the world.

We just found out our cruise ship has technical difficulties and can't go to Ketchikan...should we cancel and book norwegian or grand princess? I am worried that they are giving us a heads up and if we go- it could be a major mistake...thoughts? This is a huge trip for our 50th bdays, 20 yr anniversary, daughters sweet 16 and my mom is 78 and coming with us. We booked this months ago and got an incredible deal on carnival that swayed me but now I am really wondering what to do? Thoughts? We have only been 2 other cruises before ...both Disney ...

I would cancel and book princess or NCL.

Alaska is about Alaska, not about the ship. In my opinion Ketchikan is the lesser of the port stops in Alaska but I'd still rather go then go at a reduced pace and miss it.

Bill

I agree, I would cancel with Carnival and go with either Princess or NCL. I have been on Princess but not NCL. I loved Princess when we went to Alaska. They really know what they're doing in Alaska. I am actually going again this summer to Alaska on Princess. I've had friends that have cruised NCL to Alaska and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe NCL is cheaper than Princess but I do know that Princess is having some Alaska sale going on. I do not care that much for Carnival. I've cruised with them many times but once I cruised on Princess I've rarely gone back to Carnival. Plus Ketchikan is such an "Alaskan town" that you think of when thinking about Alaska. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely change to get the whole Alaskan experience and I feel like what Carnival is offering isn't that fare. Hope that helps! But just know whatever choice you make it will be great no matter what!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was lucky enough to be on the Norwegian Sun when I went to Alaska last year. I was on the Miracle to Cabo and PV. For Alaska cruises, I prefer the NCL Sun a whole lot more than the Miracle. I really like the Observation Lounge on the Norwegian Sun. It allows you to listen to love songs, see people dance, and view the scenery/wildlife at the same time. The chairs are pretty comfortable, too. I thought it was perfect for Alaska cruises. I'm waiting for another last minute deal. :)

With that said, I like the $50/person OBC and 25% off a future cruise.

Edited by izmeeh

Even with Ketchikan, Carnival would've been the last cruise line that I would've booked to go to Alaska. With one lonely ship, a mediocre itinerary, a midweek departure, and prices that were actually higher than other cruise lines, Carnival was dead last in our list when we sailed to Alaska last summer.

As others mentioned, Alaska is about Alaska. Pick based on itinerary first. Don't be surprised to see prices on Holland America and Princess drop as you get closer to sailing. With multiple ships (some with as many as 8 ships) and itineraries, they need more incentive to fill up the ships.

We ended choosing Holland America. The itinerary was phenomenal, including a visit to Glacier Bay (Carnival normally visits less scenic Tracy Arm), and Sitka. We had a much more convenient Saturday departure, the cost of the cruise was considerably cheaper than most other cruise lines (thanks to a kids sail free promo), and a few days before departure, we were able to upgrade for free to a balcony from an oceanview plus we received OBC when prices dropped.

Alaska is a once in a lifetime experience. You already know that Carnival is making it less than you want it to be. Don't settle for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app