Bad service with drink package??? help!

I have read some reviews where people state that the bar service is very slow and almost impossible to get a drink with the drink package...Has anyone had that experience. We are leaving in a week or so and want to buy the package, but only if we can actually get drinks. Thoughts??

I have read some reviews where people state that the bar service is very slow and almost impossible to get a drink with the drink package...Has anyone had that experience. We are leaving in a week or so and want to buy the package, but only if we can actually get drinks. Thoughts??

We had the ultimate package on mariner in march and hadn't problem anywhere using the package.

Where did you hear that? Makes no difference to the server/bartender what you have. They wouldn't even know that you have a package until you present your card.

Heard it in the reviews right on this very website. Liberty reviews...I'm hoping they are incorrect. Also, my guess is that a little bit of extra tipping goes a long way. (Even though gratuities are included with the package). Glad to hear you guys haven't had an issue.

Can it happen yes? Is it likely to happen? No.

My reading of the situation: when the package was new, there was a breaking-in period, for both customers and servers.

Now that the packages are "normal", I think that everything has settled down.

I think that you can expect good service if you choose to purchase a beverage package.

:)

i found just the opposite. Drink service was super fast with the ultimate package as the bartender rarely even handed me anything to sign. super fast

i found just the opposite. Drink service was super fast with the ultimate package as the bartender rarely even handed me anything to sign. super fast

I hope this is becoming more the norm. My only complaint about the ultimate package on the Allure in Dec was that I had to sign a receipt for every single drink every time, even bottles of water. Other than that the package was great, had no problem getting service at any of the bars, and got to know a few of the bartenders around the ship and tipped them a bit extra. Getting the bottled water included was awesome!

When we were on the NOS a few years ago, I had just the soda package. I felt like I got a little attitude or eye roll from the bartenders when I asked for a pop. It may have been my imagination (paranoia does tend to run in my family!. ;-). I wonder if because I had the soda package that they might not get as big of a tip or a waste of their time? Do you give a tip when getting a cocktail or just a pop of you have the package or is it included?

When we were on the NOS a few years ago, I had just the soda package. I felt like I got a little attitude or eye roll from the bartenders when I asked for a pop. It may have been my imagination (paranoia does tend to run in my family!. ;-). I wonder if because I had the soda package that they might not get as big of a tip or a waste of their time? Do you give a tip when getting a cocktail or just a pop of you have the package or is it included?

15% gratuity is included in all packages including soda. Up to you if you want to tip additional on top of that

Hi

Had the drinks package several times and never had a problem. You might have to wait at busy times but then it is the same for everyone package or not.

In some ways it is better as the waiters waitresses at your regular haunts get to know you are on the package and just bring you your drink. I do drop a few $$ now and again as I did before the package days.

Cheers

Selswick

My reading of the situation: when the package was new, there was a breaking-in period, for both customers and servers.

Now that the packages are "normal", I think that everything has settled down.

^^This has been my experience. I bought the package shortly after it was first rolled out on the Indy, and the bartenders DEFINITELY had an 'attitude' towards those with the package, at times even walking away to serve someone else if they saw my sticker!:eek:

However, my last 2 cruises that was NOT the case. The servers were their usual friendly, accommodating selves!

Idk if the bad service was just a problem w/ that particular crew, or fleet-wide 'growing pains' as the staff adjusted to the new program. All seems to be well now, though! I say buy with confidence!:D

15% gratuity is included in all packages including soda. Up to you if you want to tip additional on top of that

Yep, but they all share that 15% and it's off an amount that is generally lower than it would cost to buy all the drinks pax consume. (i.e. most Pax that buy the $55/day package anticipate drinking more than $55 worth of drinks or they wouldn't buy the program b/c it wouldn't seem like a good deal.)

The better the "deal" is for a pax, consume more for less, the more the staff work for the same or less money (only getting to share in the 15% of the $55 per day). I'd think most of the time you'd want to tag on an additional tip, except for maybe the stand alone soda card.

Keeping the bar staff happy and giving them incentive for good service (to get the add on tip) will help insure they don't start treating pax drinking w/o the package than pax who did purchase the program.

We had the Replenish package on the Navigator, and our bar service was the same whether we were getting an included drink or purchasing alcohol. I did think service was a bit slow across the ship at the bars, but that appeared to be a function of the staffing levels. For example, pre-dinner at the R Bar, there was one bartender trying to mix 7 or 8 complicated martinis/cocktails at once. He was hustling, but it was still slow. Was it the bartender's fault? Not at all. He kept a smile on his face and kept on mixing!

Edited by Cindy

I was on the Jewel last week and I did not have an issue with any bar service due to having the Premium Package. However I did find some of the bars were understaffed and had some long wait times, but this was the case for all passengers. After the first day or two you will be able to figure out which bar that will give you the service you desire. You will also find those bartenders that pour with a heavy hand!

I was on the Liberty in February and purchased a drink package. My experience was the service I received was neither slower or faster nor any better or worse than anyone else being served a beverage.

And, some of the waitstaff even went out of their way to ensure that they stocked my preferred adult beverage. And if they didn't have it, they would go and find it, if they weren't too busy at the time.

I found no service difference from prior cruises. Most of the time we got a slip for $0.00 but that's the only way I could add an extra tip since I don't carry cash.

Enjoy your cruise.

Me either, just $ in room for room service. I think tips are the primary reason slips are produced. If they were too busy to record it and print one out, I'd probably try to make up for it next round that got a slip.

If they are selling more packages and running thru more bottles quicker, pax are consuming more than before (even OJ, lattes, waterbottles and mock cocktails) so you'd think they'd want to increase bar staff. If they are serving up 25-30% more drinks than before, the staff would need to increase by at least 10-15% or there will be more waiting for drinks, whether in the plan or not.