Is the Dawn being replaced in Boston?

wildescapade

I have heard two people mention this, is it true?

I'm gonna stick my neck out and suggest that the only way you'll know for sure is to wait until they've completed posting the rest of the Itineraries. I've seen on here where cc members seem to be a bit anxious about the Dawn leaving Boston but until NCL posts it, I won't believe it.

We'd like to take a cruise from Boston ourselves but it won't be for a couple of years since we're booked up :eek:

Keep your fingers crossed, we'll know for sure soon enough.

Edited by B6ConMe

I just checked Norwegian's web site. They have cruises listed for The Dawn out of Boston through October of 2015. 2016 schedule is not posted yet.

The only change in The Dawn's schedule that I find, is Her Winter Season- November 15, 2015 to April 24, 2016: sailing out of New Orleans instead of Tampa Bay.

I would love to see a brand new ship in Boston! One that does year round runs like the Breakaway! They always talk about expanding our cruiseport and they never do. It would boost tourism year round ( maybe). Former Mayor Menino, built up our seaport area with tons of nice restuarants and bars. Lets build a nice cruiseport ( if it is possible). One can dream...

I heard a couple of guys too. They said NCL has a new ship on order named "Anchors Aweigh", be based out of Boston 2017.

Of course I can supply no links or proof. Maybe it is just wishfull thinking on my part too.

The tidal flows make basing a huge ship in Boston nearly impossible to provision and load luggage onto. It's not a straight forklift operation but in low tides it's a forklift to another forklift to the ship. It takes too long.

I'm also wondering where this "Anchors Aweigh" idea came from. In order for that program to be realized, it would have to be Bliss or Escape coming to Boston and we already know where Escape is going. Given NCL's current marketing concept in Boston (versus Celebrity's) if anything I'd expect NCL to pull out of Boston when the 10 year contract expires.

I would love to see a brand new ship in Boston! One that does year round runs like the Breakaway! They always talk about expanding our cruiseport and they never do. It would boost tourism year round ( maybe). Former Mayor Menino, built up our seaport area with tons of nice restuarants and bars. Lets build a nice cruiseport ( if it is possible). One can dream...

It was nice Massport (now MassDOT) spent a couple of million re-doing the terminal inside but the outside is still a dumpy looking building. That whole area could use a sprucing up. The terminal building was already spruced up.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the Spirit came back to Boston. A lovely ship.

There had been speculation for the 2015 season if the Dawn was returning to Boston. The schedules came out in December 2013 and Boston still had the Dawn. Unless there's a press release between now and late 2014 stating something different, we won't know what ship will be repositioning to Boston in late April 2016 until the spring 2016 schedules are released. The past few years the schedules came out in late November/early December. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the Dawn in 2016.

I had no idea that Menino built anything in the port area??? Which business's are his?

I know he spent a lot of money, but it was our money, not his!:confused:

The next ship to be launched is the Bliss in the Spring of 2017. Her homeport and itinerary have not been announced as of now.

The names for the two newest ships The Escape and The Bliss were chosen as a result of a contest that Norwegian held.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the Spirit came back to Boston. A lovely ship.

I would take the Spirit back here in Boston in a heart beat! She's an incredibly lovely ship and my favorite in the NCL fleet for interior decor! She's a great outdoors which has scenic aft views. The Dawn doesn't have that and Maharini's Lounge on Spirit wipes the floor with Spinnakers on the Dawn!

Sign me up for petitioning NCL to put the Spirit back in Boston! :D

Given NCL's current marketing concept in Boston (versus Celebrity's) if anything I'd expect NCL to pull out of Boston when the 10 year contract expires.

The Dawn seems to sail pretty full out of Boston. With the exception of the rare October firesale, the fares are consistently high (nearly twice that of the Breakaway out of NYC). If NCL were to pull out of Boston, one would assume it would be because they could find a more profitable home for an aging ship. That seems doubtful.

Dunno. Where again are these "rumors" coming from, anyhow?

I would take the Spirit back here in Boston in a heart beat! She's an incredibly lovely ship and my favorite in the NCL fleet for interior decor! She's a great outdoors which has scenic aft views. The Dawn doesn't have that and Maharini's Lounge on Spirit wipes the floor with Spinnakers on the Dawn!

Sign me up for petitioning NCL to put the Spirit back in Boston! :D

I'll sign .

Dawn's a good ship but Spirits one of a kind .

The Dawn seems to sail pretty full out of Boston. With the exception of the rare October firesale, the fares are consistently high (nearly twice that of the Breakaway out of NYC). If NCL were to pull out of Boston, one would assume it would be because they could find a more profitable home for an aging ship. That seems doubtful.

Dunno. Where again are these "rumors" coming from, anyhow?

These rumors surface every year about NCL pulling out of Boston. The fact is they sign a 10 year contract to tie up the Boston to Bermuda run. When that comes up for renewal then we'll see whether there's any truth to NCL leaving Boston. Based on the current condition of the cruise pier in Boston I know we're not going to receive a Breakaway ship. The current marketing trend has been for their newer ships which it seems based on pricing as you've mentioned... are having a hard time filling. :cool:

The advertising campaign NCL was running in Boston recently announced they're sailing to the Caribbean from Boston. That was very misleading since neither the Breakaway nor the Dawn go to the Caribbean when they sail in the summer. They go to the Bermuda. Celebrity has really ramped up their marketing in Boston with deals and promotions just for Boston area residents. They've sponsored major sports teams like the Red Sox and they don't even have a ship here. Maybe they're positioning themselves to take the slot when NCL vacates?

The tidal flows make basing a huge ship in Boston nearly impossible to provision and load luggage onto. It's not a straight forklift operation but in low tides it's a forklift to another forklift to the ship. It takes too long.

I'm also wondering where this "Anchors Aweigh" idea came from. In order for that program to be realized, it would have to be Bliss or Escape coming to Boston and we already know where Escape is going. Given NCL's current marketing concept in Boston (versus Celebrity's) if anything I'd expect NCL to pull out of Boston when the 10 year contract expires.

I doubt that NCL will give upthe Boston to Bermuda run. Because the ships usually sail full, it's a cash cow.

Dose any one know when the contract is up…I would hate to see NCL leave Boston…it saves us so much not to have to book a flight… We do not care where we go as long as its a cruise…I would love to cruise out of boston to the Caribbean….if possible

Dose any one know when the contract is up…I would hate to see NCL leave Boston…it saves us so much not to have to book a flight… We do not care where we go as long as its a cruise…I would love to cruise out of boston to the Caribbean….if possible

Well, NCL is committed at least through 2016. Caribbean is to far for a trip from Boston, Bermuda or Canada are the choices unless you do the extended relocation from Boston to New Orleans once a year.

I haven't seen (heard?) the advertising campaign you mention, but I suppose you could call the Dawn's repositioning cruises from/to Boston a Caribbean cruise. I agree, though, it's misleading. The reason I'd pay top $$ is for the convenience of both embarking and disembarking in Boston.

The advertising campaign NCL was running in Boston recently announced they're sailing to the Caribbean from Boston. That was very misleading since neither the Breakaway nor the Dawn go to the Caribbean when they sail in the summer.

Is it too far? The Gem can make it to San Juan from NYC in 2.5 days. I always assumed that the cruise lines liked sea days: thousands of captives to tempt with overpriced baubles and gewgaws and "art."

Well, NCL is committed at least through 2016. Caribbean is to far for a trip from Boston...

Well, NCL is committed at least through 2016. Caribbean is to far for a trip from Boston, Bermuda or Canada are the choices unless you do the extended relocation from Boston to New Orleans once a year.

I don't think it is too far, but it would be mostly sea days and maybe 2 ports. I would love to see a 10 or 11 day from Boston to the Caribbean.