First cruise in June on Navigator

kerrianno

Hi all...I'll be taking my first cruise in the Navigator in June to Alaska. I was wondering if anyone could give me any helpful hints? Also, I didn't see a formal night when I looked online, but I just want to be sure I have the right type of clothing. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Navigator now, there is no formal night. Gentlemen are generally wearing a sport coat (no tie) to evening meals in Compass Rose and Prime 7 but not always, some are coming is a dress shirt without jacket.

Advice -- if you are going north, try to book a suite on the starboard side. If you are going south, try for a port side suite. Other than that plan on having fun and don't stress about what to wear. During the day you will see people dressed in all sorts of attire (but not sloppy). After six o'clock it is country club casual. Be comfortable, be prepared for rain and maybe some cool weather.

Edited by shuguley

Yes! We are all booked for excursions and for prime 7! I'm getting excited! I'm traveling with my mom (she and my father planned to take this cruise for their 45th anniversary, but unfortunately he recently passed away). I'm doing the trip for him. Thanks so much for responding!

Hi all...I'll be taking my first cruise in the Navigator in June to Alaska. I was wondering if anyone could give me any helpful hints? Also, I didn't see a formal night when I looked online, but I just want to be sure I have the right type of clothing. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Kerrianno: We each make our cruises what we want them to be. If you desire to wear your formal dresses to all or only to one of your fine dinners, go for it. Go ahead and be stunning as you enter the restaurant. It is the right time to feel like a million bucks and to have all eyes on you as you're guided to your table at the window and assisted to your chair facing the sea. Your server will remember you throughout your voyage because of your beauty and gown and the calm way you turned away from the red and white wines he displayed and you asked him for his 'list' of all wines. He has a list and he will run to get it for you. From that moment on he will hand you the list at each dinner allowing you to select what wines you like with seafood, with steaks, and as a desert wine. Since you have an iPhone, ask your server to shoot pictures of you and your table each evening. Pictures are not very important at the time of the dinners, but they will help you relive the great moments you are about to enjoy on your June travel to Alaska with Regent. Jack

Kerrianno: We each make our cruises what we want them to be. If you desire to wear your formal dresses to all or only to one of your fine dinners, go for it. Go ahead and be stunning as you enter the restaurant. It is the right time to feel like a million bucks and to have all eyes on you as you're guided to your table at the window and assisted to your chair facing the sea. Your server will remember you throughout your voyage because of your beauty and gown and the calm way you turned away from the red and white wines he displayed and you asked him for his 'list' of all wines. He has a list and he will run to get it for you. From that moment on he will hand you the list at each dinner allowing you to select what wines you like with seafood, with steaks, and as a desert wine. Since you have an iPhone, ask your server to shoot pictures of you and your table each evening. Pictures are not very important at the time of the dinners, but they will help you relive the great moments you are about to enjoy on your June travel to Alaska with Regent. Jack

Kerrianno: I'm sorry to read that your father passed. Jack

My daughter and I did the Navigator to Alaska last year. We had a fabulous time! We left our husbands home and did the "girly" thing. Had a ball with the excursions; loved them all! All of the waiters, bartenders, cabin stewards took extra good care of us girls. Our weather couldn've been better (mid May) but we didn't let that stop us at all. Sat on our balcony, wrapped up in the big blue blankets and had cocktails in the rain! We were protected and the shore line was just as lovely in the mist and wispy fog, as it would've been in the sun. Have a wonderful time! Know you'll enjoy it!

Linda

I don't remember any binocs in the suites on navigator, and we have been onboard several times.

Take layers and appropriate rain gear. Also some gloves and a warm hat. Alaska is wonderful, but the weather is very changeable. I have been snowed on in July, and have worn shorts in June.

On Alaskan cruises, evening wear is definitely country club casual. You will see a few cocktail dresses or sparkly tops with slacks, but anything you would wear to a nice restaurant at home should be fine.

Have a wonderful trip with your mom!

... Gentlemen are generally wearing a sport coat (no tie) to evening meals in Compass Rose and Prime 7 but not always, some are coming is a dress shirt without jacket.

I would have to dissent on this. Gentlemen often do not wear sports coats on this, or other Regent ships. It is never required, but always acceptable of course, just not that common. Alaska is cool of course, but also more casual than some other itineraries, plaid shirts and sweaters are quite common for men.

Bring binoculars if you have them--I also don't remember any, but we were in a regular balcony cabin--perhaps the larger suites have them. I bought a new pair especially for the trip, and brought my old ones too, so we could both have a pair, and we were both glad of it.

My husband always wears a jacket to Prime 7 and/or Signatures and some dinners in Compass Rose. I like to dress nice so putting on a jacket is not a big deal. On our Alaska cruise he wore a jacket to Prime 7. Many men were wearing jackets. As everything else is a matter of taste. The Navigator is a lovely ship and you and your mother will have a terrific time. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad passing but how nice you're there to go with your Mom. Concierge cabins and penthouses have binoculars. Have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is so beautiful!

Binoculars are in penthouse suites and above. Agree that a good percentage of men wear jackets to the Captain's Reception and to Prime 7. Some gentlemen even wear them at dinner as it something they are used to doing in the area they are from. You will see everything from suit and tie to slacks and a collared polo shirt. Just dress in a way that you will feel comfortable (within guidelines:-)

That's exactly what I picture! I'm hoping that's how our trip is too! Should we bring binoculars? I hear they have some on board?

Bring your own. The ones supplied by Regent are not the best quality.

We have done this cruise the last 4 years. We always go between late May and end of June. We are taking a break this year but will do it again next year. I travel with my mom to the med each year as my father also passed. Regent always takes good care of us.

Back to Alaska - you have received lots of good tips already. Binoculars are provided in Concierge Suites and above. They are not great but not bad either. Excursions not to miss- Sea Otter Quest in Sitka; Crab Feast in Ketchikan; Evening Whale Watch in Juneau; Tracey Arm Glacier Viewing.

To pack- agree with layers. I would pack warm socks (smart wool), a good hat with pull down ear covers (for when you are out on deck). In Alaska, you can get by with nice slacks and tops for the evening. I would also take a sling bag to hold your camera, binocs, etc. Alaska can also be warm at the end of June so you have to plan either way.

One other suggestion is do not book a suite on deck 9 under the pool deck area which is on 10. My wife and I booked a Navigator suite for the extra room. Our suite is right under the Pool Grill. VERY BAD IDEA. Every morning work begins on the pool area before daylight. If they even drop a fork on the floor up there it sounds like it is coming through the ceiling of our suite! Talked to concierge the first morning and things got a little better but still a problem. This morning they were moving chairs and equipment around at 6 AM.