Bathroom Attendants

HappyTvlr

Totally agree! Great attendant! Always tipped her if I had my purse with me.

I remember a bathroom attendant on 2 of our cruises. Feb 2014 and one of our cruises last year. I gave him a nice tip. He really seems to be having a great time. It was a bathroom near Blu. Richard

Totally agree! Great attendant! Always tipped her if I had my purse with me.

I remember a bathroom attendant on 2 of our cruises. Feb 2014 and one of our cruises last year. I gave him a nice tip.

So this could be the explanation.

Originally assigned to clean the restrooms, they started handing out towels and quickly discovered how easy it was to supplement their income with tips this way.

There is a steady stream of people going in and out of the restrooms outside the theater for the half hour or so before and after each performance every night.

With two shows each night, those tips can quickly add up for two hours total time spent hanging around in the restroom.

This could be the solution to the question raised on the other thread

How do you people afford all those cruises?

Now all we need to do is stop at a uniform shop to pick up some appropriate looking uniforms. Between the two of us covering both the men's and women's restrooms, we will be all set.

If even a quarter of the people going in and out of the restrooms before and after each show give us a tip for handing them a towel, we will have a good head start on paying for our next cruise. ;)

We promise not to hug any of you.

Edited by varoo

I'm just off the Reflection. I saw cleaning staff in the highly trafficked area bathrooms during the evening, but I wouldn't call them attendants.

My wife and I commented the bathrooms onboard were consistently the cleanest public restrooms we've ever seen. Kudos to the crew for their effort.

I've frequently seen a ladies room attendant. And not just there to clean up. They would hand you towels, wipe down the sink as soon as it was used, make sure there were always a full stock of cloth hand towels. As in if 2 were used, they'd immediately replace them. Hit the door opening button as I was leaving. And if not doing that, they'd kind of stand off to the side in a corner.

I can't remember a Celebrity cruise where I DIDN'T see them. Usually it was in the evening, early night time hours. Not there 24/7.

I've seen attendants, crew who obviously (or at least that was my impression) were there just to hand out towels and be pleasant. I've seen cleaners who were there with cleaning supplies, keeping it tidy. I've most often had to fend for myself. And no rhyme or reason-- sometimes someone's there, other times not, same rest room, same time of the day.

Possibly it's done on an as-available basis-- "We have no other duties for you right now. Go be the rest room attendant by the MDR for the next hour." Or "We're short-handed in the laundry. Your rest room attendant shift is cancelled until you help them catch up."

On our April 5 Century cruise, I saw an attendant a couple of times in the restroom right outside the buffet area. I think they are there during peak times to try to prevent the spread of illness. After all, if someone is in there, it helps ensure that people wash their hands. Also, they immediately clean the stall just used.

Not my idea of a fun job, but it could really help prevent illnesses.

Love all the responses and opinions. And yes, I am certain it was Celebrity because I have only cruised with them. The attendant was in the restroom just off the MDR, and she was there most of the evening as far as I can tell. I agree that the services provided such as the handing of the towel, wiping up, and getting the door were nice and had the added benefits of keeping everyone honest with hand washing are beneficial to everyone. I think I just got annoyed with the constant singing (I didn't mention that earlier), and the over zealous interaction. I love interacting with staff and the high level of service Celebrity provides, but I just hope the next attendant takes the interaction down a notch.

I am so thankful for someone bringing up this subject. I've thought I have been hallucinating for the last ten years!

On the Millenium in 2004 I was at the pool and just sat down on the lounger when I got a really - sorry, people - bloody nose. I picked up my towel, held it over my nose and hurried to the restroom. There was an attendant in there dressed in a black dress with a white collar who asked me if I was ok. I went into a stall and told her that I would be fine. She stayed there and kept asking me how I was. Finally after 20 minutes and me getting weaker I told her that I really wasn't ok. She called medical and in a few minutes a wheelchair arrived and I was taken to medical. Long story short - I looked really good for the next three days with my nose packed and a white bandage over it! I had left my glasses and everything at the pool. When I found my way back there after 1.5 hours everything was still there. I picked up my stuff and went to see if the attendant was still there. She wasn't.

I went back every day around the same time and at other times and, to this day, I have never seen another attendant in any of the restrooms on any of the cruises or ships we've been on.

She was the angel looking after me that day.

On each celebrity cruise we have taken, there have been attendants in the bathroom. Always by the theatre and the specialty resturants and Blu.

During our December cruise the attendant had not noticed a particularly disgusting toilet and I pointed it out to her. During the last cruise there were often two in the room cleaning and socializing with each other or talking on their cell phones.

I have always assumed in the evening they have bathroom attendants.

We sailed in Jan on Equinox and as we were dining in Blu each night I used the bathroom next to the Ensemble lounge. The attendant kept the place spotless and she was well rewarded at the end of the cruise. I always think it is the little things like bathroom attendants that make the difference between Celebrity and other cruise lines. Long may it continue.

Scotslizzy

This has got to, be one of the most unusual complaints ever. I can't imagine why someone would be upset about a friendly restroom attendant doing her job and being pleasant.

No problem as long as they don't try to hug me. :eek:

No problem as long as they don't try to hug me. :eek:

I doubt they just randomly hug people. It's probably someone the've been speaking with regularly and it's a mutual thing. I must admit I've hugged lots of Celebrity employees over the years.:)

This has got to, be one of the most unusual complaints ever. I can't imagine why someone would be upset about a friendly restroom attendant doing her job and being pleasant.

It was not a complaint, but merely an observation and opinion about something I found a little over the top that seems to have been part of the norm for this one particular attendant. As for the hugs, it was not just people she was really familiar with because she attempted to hug me. I managed my way out of it. Not being snobby because I have hugged staff members, but none were wearing plastic gloves in the ladies room.

Same for us on our last 3 cruises. I like the special touch. Reminds me of the airport in CLT. ;)

I didn't read this entire thread, but is there any mention of tipping the attendants on the ship, like we do in the airport?

Edited by Iamthesea

On the Solstice in March from Sydney to Auckland there were attendants in all of the public restrooms that I utilized. They were not there sometimes early in the day, but after 10 or so they were present. They triggered the water when you washed your hands, they handed you a towel, and they opened the door when you left. I got the feeling that it was part of Celebrity's Novo prevention protocol.

So this could be the explanation.

Originally assigned to clean the restrooms, they started handing out towels and quickly discovered how easy it was to supplement their income with tips this way.

There is a steady stream of people going in and out of the restrooms outside the theater for the half hour or so before and after each performance every night.

With two shows each night, those tips can quickly add up for two hours total time spent hanging around in the restroom.

This could be the solution to the question raised on the other thread

How do you people afford all those cruises?

Now all we need to do is stop at a uniform shop to pick up some appropriate looking uniforms. Between the two of us covering both the men's and women's restrooms, we will be all set.

If even a quarter of the people going in and out of the restrooms before and after each show give us a tip for handing them a towel, we will have a good head start on paying for our next cruise. ;)

We promise not to hug any of you.

If only Jack Benny were still alive,if only..

Hi

We were on this cruise and experienced the amazing bathroom attendant Jatnna in the ladies restroom outside of the MDR. This was her main job, we often saw her cleaning and readying the room during the day and then in the evening she was there all night ensuring everything was tip top. We loved her and yes we are all different but she seemed so genuine and I have never laughed so much when going to the bathroom! I'm sure she had many passengers that she hugged and my girlfriend & I were certainly among that group as well as our husbands who always came to say hello. She was a really interesting character and was trying to work her way up the ladder, I'm sure she will succeed.

My son and wife were on the Solstice for their honeymoon 2 cruises after us and she gave them a beautiful letter thanking us for our friendship. No return address just a lovely gesture.

It would be fantastic to meet her again on a future cruise and I know going in the ladies on the Equinox in September will not be quite the same without that bubbly personality to greet us.

Lesley :)

I have to be honest....I can't think of a less impactful role to me on the ship. Of course, they need to ensure that the restrooms are clean....but to have someone stationed there to hand out towels and press the button to open the door feels like a "nice to have" and not something I really look for or even want on a cruise. I really don't like bathroom attendants in land based locations either. That is one place I am not looking to have conversations or make friends...lol.

I would rather have more crew in other areas (bars, pool areas, restaurants, etc.) than have people stationed in rest rooms.

Hi

We were on this cruise and experienced the amazing bathroom attendant Jatnna in the ladies restroom outside of the MDR. This was her main job, we often saw her cleaning and readying the room during the day and then in the evening she was there all night ensuring everything was tip top. We loved her and yes we are all different but she seemed so genuine and I have never laughed so much when going to the bathroom! I'm sure she had many passengers that she hugged and my girlfriend & I were certainly among that group as well as our husbands who always came to say hello. She was a really interesting character and was trying to work her way up the ladder, I'm sure she will succeed.

My son and wife were on the Solstice for their honeymoon 2 cruises after us and she gave them a beautiful letter thanking us for our friendship. No return address just a lovely gesture.

It would be fantastic to meet her again on a future cruise and I know going in the ladies on the Equinox in September will not be quite the same without that bubbly personality to greet us.

Lesley :)

It must be a chick thing, but don't touch me if you are wearing those gloves that have been dipped in everyone's toilet water. :eek:

A bit of a random topic, but I just read a cruise review and it was mentioned. On a Dec 2012 cruise through the Panama Canal my husband always came back from the restroom just off the MDR laughing because the attendant was a funny guy. The ladies room had no attendant. Well, on our Oct 2013 South Pacific cruise there were attendants in both ladies and men's rooms. At first I thought it was nice to have the room kept tidy at all times, but after a couple of days it was annoying. She was lovely and doing a great job, but it was just too personal and she even got to the point of greeting or parting with some passengers with a hug. I've been cruising with Celebrity for a few years now, and I never had a problem with the restrooms not being tidy even without the attendants. It is a personal opinion, but with all the cutbacks that are being mentioned I hope the attendants are retained but trained for other more useful jobs.

On our Reflection cruise all the bathrooms were tidy...kept sparkling clean.

Very impressed

IMG_4659.jpg.204c1e76c948936dcdb2b1ca38d92534.jpg