Honolulu Hotels help!

sargemrs

Three couples of us are going to Hawaii in August. Does anyone know of a nice, but reasonable $200. or less, hotel that either provides a shuttle to the pier or a shuttle from the airport? We're all coming in a day ahead but plan to just rest until boarding ship the next day, so don't want to rent a car. If no shuttles then what about taxi service and about how much would it be for both trips? Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Also we're planning on doing the Pearl Harbor tour after the cruise since we have all day before our flight leaves; any suggestions on different options we might have, that would be reasonable.

Aloha - might I suggest that you first do some basic research a/k/a reading under the Ports of Call, look under Hawaii - direct link here - been asked many times and there's about 15 tons :D of replies.

Have a look of some of the recent reviews from folks who done the POA sailings often yield very helpful & latest tips/info of what worked, etc.

We did POA in 2009 so our dated review won't help - the discounted sites mentioned will quickly help you narrow down lodging options and shuttle/transport options, etc. Is the under $200 taxes/fees inclusive per night per couple as most standard "city" view hotel rooms usually fit up to 4 so a bit more "work" on your part? Try hotwires and/or priceline if you are trying to fit within a budget - otherwise, $200 per room/night should yield good # of reasonable 3 stars choices in the nearby Waikiki area, but none really walking distance to the pier.

Mahalo ;)

P.S. (MOD) this really should be moved to the Hawaii board. TX.

There are several shuttle services (you pay) that drop off at different hotels. As far as Waikiki hotels, I do not recommend Aqua Palms or Queen Kapiolani. Both have a decent location (they are at opposite ends of Waikiki) and are in safe areas. However, the furniture and beds at the Aqua Palms is beyond out dated and uncomfortable - my 12yo fell through the springs on the pull out and he's only 85lbs. We also had huge issues with the AC not working. The Queen Kapiolani was a really nice hotel back in the day, but the rooms are incredibly tiny - and we even had a Q/Q suite. Both have nice rooftop pools. If you got them for a steal and could put up with what I've mentioned and it's only for one night, go for it. But we were staying a week. I thought the Aston Waikiki Wave was a pretty decent price and a good hotel and location. Not far from the beach and also close to the International Market.

You will have to take a taxi or shuttle to the pier.

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach. We really liked it, though it is an older property. We loved the pool deck and they serve a continental buffet breakfast down there, too. You can eat by the pool or you can take your breakfast across the street to eat on the beach. The location of this hotel is outstanding - the Diamond Head end, much less crowded and right across the street from the beach.

We were just there in February. There's a review in my signature if you're interested. :)

I thought the Aston Waikiki Wave was a pretty decent price and a good hotel and location. Not far from the beach and also close to the International Market.

Unfortunately, the International Marketplace no longer exists. A friend sent me a photo a few weeks ago. It is a construction site now for a new shopping center.

For hotels, my favorite is Waikiki Parc, but I don't think you can get it for $200 in August. Look into the Outrigger Luana. It is a 3 star property but much nicer than the Aqua Palms. I think Norwegian uses the Marriott which includes transportation to the port.

Thanks all, and yes, we'd really like to stay at the Marriott but the price is $350-$400, I can't remember for sure, but know it was out of our league, especially since we splurged on a suite.:) Will definitely check out the Hyatt. Have tried to contact one of the shuttle services a lot of hotels mention and can't get them, so concerned about efficiency!:confused:

We need very clean and of course prefer updated, small is fine, we're spoiled I guess.;)

We are on the May 10th sailing - we found a condo on the VRBO website - we have used VRBO many times and have always been pleased - take a look as they will probably be in your price range

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Expect to pay more for Beach Front hotels - less for off beach.

Summer oddly is HIGH season for Hawaii - folks from the northern half of

the hemisphere think differently but the Hawaii Visitors Bureau stats prove

otherwise.

Hotels on Waikiki are not the only place to stay - try Turtle Bay on the North

end of Ohau and other resorts although you are further from the port of Honolulu

for transportation to your ship.

Have military connections think about Ft. DeRussy - book these months in

advance.

Directions are Diamond - looking East to Diamond Head

Eva - looking West to the airport/Pearl Harbor

Mauka - looking inland toward a mountain

Makai - looking toward the sea

Waikiki is Diamond from the Port of Honolulu

Eva is West of the Port of Honolulu and the location of Pearl Harbor where the

USS Arizona; USS Missouri and USS Bowfin are located.

Hotels on the beach - looking at the beach Makai - looking inland Mauka.

Rush hour traffic is hazardous to getting you to the ship on time BEWARE !

Another hazard is 'SunBurn' - particularly bad in the summer months especially

September - fair skin wear sun screen !

For an extremely CHEAP island tour take the City Bus (THE BUS). Inquire about

the schedule and make your own excursion (Circle Island trip) !

Rent a Car or Hire out a cab or tour vehicle for a visit to:

The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific

Tantalus & Round Top Nuuanu Pali Lookout rain forest trip

YES you can hike to the top of Diamond Head for fantastic Photo Opts

In Aeia take the Aeia Loop Trail for views of the island that few see

Circle Island trip via THE BUS or private contractor

While in vicinity of the North Shore look at the surfing waves

Need clothing replacements or gifts - visit the Ala Moana mall (Eva Waikiki)

Glass bottom boats for coral reef sightings

Catamaran sailings

Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona (respectful clothing dress code); Missouri & Bowfin

I lived for two years in Hawaii (Oahu - Pearl City) and after some 100 + visits

back have not seen it all - make the most of your tour; visit and cruise -

definitely something for everyone

AND this is only Oahu - wait there is more - Maui - The Big Island - Kauai - (Look but no stop - Molokai - Lanai - Kahoolawe - Niihau)

ALOHA !!!!!

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add info

Three couples of us are going to Hawaii in August. Does anyone know of a nice, but reasonable $200. or less, hotel that either provides a shuttle to the pier or a shuttle from the airport? We're all coming in a day ahead but plan to just rest until boarding ship the next day, so don't want to rent a car. If no shuttles then what about taxi service and about how much would it be for both trips? Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Also we're planning on doing the Pearl Harbor tour after the cruise since we have all day before our flight leaves; any suggestions on different options we might have, that would be reasonable.

Taxies are very expensive in Honolulu. Airport to Waikiki will run you appx $50 + tip. There is a shuttle that is run by Roberts that will cost you appx. $8 per person one way from airport to your hotel. You can also book from hotel to pier for appx the same price. Just go to "roberts Hawaii dot com and you will find rates and how to book. I have used them many, many times.

Edited by nona0541
add clearification

Bid on Priceline. Waikiki is a great place to bid, trick is go for a 5 plus resort, that way you know you are getting a high end on the beach hotel. We have done this twice one time getting the Marriott the other getting the Hyatt. Both at $100.00 a night! Bid for one night the when your price is excepted it will ask you if you would like to add nights. The closer to the date the better start trying a month out.

Oh MY, these were great tips! I will certainly check into the Robert's Tours for shuttle service, that is a great price, very doable!! And will try the Priceline deal, that's a good suggestion. Hate to wait until a month out but may start trying now, as I'm a planning, get it done, type of person:)

I can't thank you all enough!!

Forget the suggestions about heading up to the North Shore or Ko'Olina to stay the night. It'll just add extra transportation costs and you won't really benefit from visiting the area for less than a day. Never mind the fact that there's no way you could snag a room out there out there for $200. You'd have to pay nearly double that amount for a standard room at Turtle Bay or a resort at Ko'Olina during the peak tourism season.

Although traffic on Oahu can be terrible (regularly a top contender with LA and NYC), you shouldn't have any issues getting to the ship. Traffic on Saturday mornings is pretty fluid. Back when I lived there, I used to drive through Waikiki to Honolulu every Saturday at around 10am (always stopped to admire POA on the way :D), and it always took about 5 min. The taxi fare from Waikiki shouldn't cost more than $30, but you could save some money by taking Roberts Hawaii's shuttle from Waikiki to the pier for $8 per person. You can book it online through Roberts Hawaii's Shorex website.

The USS Arizona Memorial and USS Missouri are not-to-be-missed sites and you should definitely check them out. NCL offers several tours on disembarkation day, and their rates aren't much more than independent offerings. It's about $50-$90 per person depending on which tour you book. Since you're flying out that day, and you have to carry your bags around with you, booking a tour is probably your best bet. You can leave the bags on the tour bus while you wander around. Also, during the summer months, it can be difficult to get tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial. You have to make reservations weeks in advance to ensure you get a specific date and time that you want to visit. If you don't have a reservation, and they run out of walk-in tickets, you're out of luck. By booking through a tour operator, you don't have to worry about figuring that out.

Unfortunately, the International Marketplace no longer exists. A friend sent me a photo a few weeks ago. It is a construction site now for a new shopping center.

Wow. That's kind of sad, but I'm sure that property/location is worth quite a bit! We were just there this past July.

I like the idea of bidding on Priceline or a reliable equivalent. The last thing you want in Hawai'i is to have to leave the beautiful surroundings to stay in a bad hotel, even for one night.

We've used loyalty points to stay at the Marriott on each of our visits to Honolulu. It's wonderful. Don't take the rates listed on their website as the final word - shop it.

And yes to Roberts shuttles. It's much less than a cab, and even though you will be sharing the vehicle with a busload of other people, they'll take good care of you.

I agree about seeing Pearl Harbor by way of a ship excursion. This experience is a must-see and WILDLY popular. I didn't expect the line that we encountered when we arrived, just to get into the building. You will be allowed to take very little with you into the site, too, so having a place to safely stash your belongings when you don't have a hotel will be very valuable. NCL will also be able to apprise you of other regulations you need to know in preparation for this visit. It's so special...

Hawai'i has been my favorite vacation destination EVER...and that is saying a lot. Enjoy the spirit of Aloha! You'll never forget it.

I can only relate my experience. We were very fortunate to have caught the Sun repo in Sept '07 from Hawaii back to the states when NCL decided not to leave her there to do 7 night cruises afterall.

Out of our 20+ cruises, this was my favorite. But enough...back to your question about a hotel.

I just got out my folder for this trip to jog the old memory and I see that we stayed at the Aqua Waikiki Wave....there are several hotels that start with 'aqua' but this one was at 2299 Kuhio Ave. should you decide to check further. We were about 2 blocks from the beach and a block from International Market which I'm sorry to hear isn't there anymore.

Our plane arrived after dark and we took the hotel shuttle bus from the airport. I think it was like $5pp and though it made a few stops before it got to ours, I enjoyed the ride! Our room was very nice and very large and we found a bottle of champagne on ice waiting. I instantly knew this must be a mistake and so we just hit the hay. The next morning we went to the front desk and asked about a good place for breakfast (they had free coffee in the lobby and that was it!) and were told to go about a block down where we found a great breakfast at a great price! I also asked him about the champagne and, yes, he too was surprised but just said 'enjoy'. So after breakfast, a walk to the beach and a stroll through the International Market we stopped at a great little bakery right next to the hotel and bought a couple of buns to have with the champagne before checking out. It was a nice ending to our stay.

We took a shuttle from the hotel to the pier. It was private if I recall and I think was $15pp. Someone mentioned the traffic and we definately got into some. However our driver knew lots of back-streets and got around most of it. I don't know if a cab driver with a meter would have been so inclined!

There are scads of hotels and lots of choices. I can only say that if we are ever fortunate enough to go to Hawaii again, I would not hesitate to book the same hotel.

Have a wonderful time.

Thanks all, and yes, we'd really like to stay at the Marriott but the price is $350-$400, I can't remember for sure, but know it was out of our league, especially since we splurged on a suite.:) Will definitely check out the Hyatt. Have tried to contact one of the shuttle services a lot of hotels mention and can't get them, so concerned about efficiency!:confused:

We need very clean and of course prefer updated, small is fine, we're spoiled I guess.;)

If the Marriot is that high, you can be relatively sure most of the places will be in the same ball park. I highly recommend the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but only if you are prepared to pay for it. I don't know what the rates would be when you are planning on traveling. Try the Hyatt. We have stayed there a few times. The Astons are priced a little lower.

Forget the suggestions about heading up to the North Shore or Ko'Olina to stay the night. It'll just add extra transportation costs and you won't really benefit from visiting the area for less than a day. Never mind the fact that there's no way you could snag a room out there out there for $200. You'd have to pay nearly double that amount for a standard room at Turtle Bay or a resort at Ko'Olina during the peak tourism season.

Although traffic on Oahu can be terrible (regularly a top contender with LA and NYC), you shouldn't have any issues getting to the ship. Traffic on Saturday mornings is pretty fluid. Back when I lived there, I used to drive through Waikiki to Honolulu every Saturday at around 10am (always stopped to admire POA on the way :D), and it always took about 5 min. The taxi fare from Waikiki shouldn't cost more than $30, but you could save some money by taking Roberts Hawaii's shuttle from Waikiki to the pier for $8 per person. You can book it online through Roberts Hawaii's Shorex website.

The USS Arizona Memorial and USS Missouri are not-to-be-missed sites and you should definitely check them out. NCL offers several tours on disembarkation day, and their rates aren't much more than independent offerings. It's about $50-$90 per person depending on which tour you book. Since you're flying out that day, and you have to carry your bags around with you, booking a tour is probably your best bet. You can leave the bags on the tour bus while you wander around. Also, during the summer months, it can be difficult to get tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial. You have to make reservations weeks in advance to ensure you get a specific date and time that you want to visit. If you don't have a reservation, and they run out of walk-in tickets, you're out of luck. By booking through a tour operator, you don't have to worry about figuring that out.

I was thinking the same thing. If you had a lot of time, that would be one thing, but if you only have a day or so, you almost have to stay downtown or on Waikiki.

DH and I booked the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel. It's right on Waikiki Beach and is a resort. Huge pool, decorated like a Hawaiian Village…..thus the name! :) We booked on Bookings.com for $159 but we booked early! Never too early to book….there is no cancellation fee through this web site for cancellations up to 72 hours prior so you can cancel if you find a better deal. Be careful….some hotel booking sites do charge a booking fee. Also, many of the larger, beachfront hotels add hidden fees that are not quoted in the price. The Hilton Hawaiian Village adds a $30 per night "resort fee". We arrived Friday at 3:00 and left at 7:00 am next morning for a tour of Pearl Harbour that took us right up to the time we boarded the ship. We felt the fee was a waste for us but everyone gets charged the fee regardless of whether you have time to enjoy the amenities or not. The total bill which started at $159 was still slightly over $200 after fees and taxes but the location is superb! You can walk to the beach for dinner and shopping, etc.

We used JohnnyCab for our transportation from the airport. $25 flat fee and they are very responsive when you make the reservation. We were just 2 adults for $25 but they do have larger vans for larger groups and I believe it is still $25. Be sure to make a reservation. They will email you right back and answer any questions that you have. Or you can call. We found them on the cruise critic thread that was mentioned earlier. Good reviews. Hope this helps…...

Edited by debbeck

DH and I booked the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel. It's right on Waikiki Beach and is a resort. Huge pool, decorated like a Hawaiian Village…..thus the name! :) We booked on Bookings.com for $159 but we booked early!...The total bill which started at $159 was still slightly over $200 after fees and taxes but the location is superb! You can walk to the beach for dinner and shopping, etc.

To the OP, keep in mind that it's currently the off-season in Hawaii, and you intend to travel during the peak season in August. Prices will considerably higher for you. HHV is a lovely property, but it'll be far beyond your price range.