Unwanted "music"

Mary Ellen

I'm having a hard time imagining a five star Mariner who has to go through a third party to voice a complaint.

Some folks like background music others don't.

I remember one time, reading and relaxing in the Crow Nest and the background music was excessively loud and all folks around were complaining. I got up and went to the bar and told the bartender. Result low decibels.

If one has a problem while cruising, speak up and let it be know. If your one of the one's who wants total silence wear ear plugs; which are available at the Front Desk. You also have to remember no matter what your star status not all cruisers have the same expectations.

Have always been able to find quiet zones on a Dam ships though not required and actually I prefer quiet back ground music.

Wish I was on a Dam cruise with music in the back ground. Awaiting to be flamed.

Edited by aliaschief

I'm having a hard time imagining a five star Mariner who has to go through a third party to voice a complaint.

Some folks like background music others don't.

I remember one time, reading and relaxing in the Crow Nest and the background music was excessively loud and all folks around were complaining. I got up and went to the bar and told the bartender. Result low decibels.

If one has a problem while cruising, speak up and let it be know. If your one of the one's who wants total silence wear ear plugs; which are available at the Front Desk. You also have to remember no matter what your star status not all cruisers have the same expectations.

Have always been able to find quiet zones on a Dam ships though not required and actually I prefer quiet back ground music.

Wish I was on a Dam cruise with music in the back ground. Awaiting to be flamed.

No flames here, I totally agree with you Chief.:)

You are so right! The last few years it seems more and more times while sitting in any local restaurant, I finally say to my DH - "does someone think we actually enjoy listening to this?" I do not like to scream over music just to enjoy conversations with others at my table.

I'm also one who doesn't like loud background music!.. But, I wear hearing aids, & when trying to read I can turn them down.. DH on the other hand, has perfect hearing & hates to go into a restaurant or any venue with background music.. He would actually get up & leave if the music bothered him..

On the Prinsendam we often heard background music in the Crow's Nest when the crew was setting up & Supervisor's are not present.. Mostly it's been the new music, which I don't consider music at all! IMO it's just noise!

I've actually been known to go to one of the crew & ask them to turn it off as people were trying to read & or enjoy the sights without the Noise!

Betty

In November on the Noordam, we had to repeatedly ask to have the music turned down. When it was sometimes ignored, we just did it ourselves. Not only was it loud, but a great deal of was geared to the cruise directors and younger staff's age and taste, while the majority of the passengers outside were middle aged and over. Glen Miller would probably not have offended anyone (LOL)!!!

We are sailing the Noordam again in August in Europe, and hope that this will not be repeated. If it is, I will be more vocal next time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one disturbed by high volume music. Just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam and music from the speakers at the Seaview Pool was particularly obtrusive. Ditto for the thermal suite of all places. I don't need a rock concert in the men's locker room. To be fair, I don't like the so called background music in department stores, groceries and alike which are clearly geared to the younger crowd as you indicated.

I think part of the problem is a clash between the "old" more sedate HAL and the younger demographic HAL is trying to attract. A lot of new and younger cruisers like not only different music but louder music and a more party atmosphere than the more senior HAL pax enjoy. Change is part of life and not always a good change for all. I love Glenn Miller, but I think HAL is definitely trying to dispense with its Glenn Miller reputation.

Edited by peaches from georgia

I think part of the problem is a clash between the "old" more sedate HAL and the younger demographic HAL is trying to attract. A lot of new and younger cruisers like not only different music but louder music and a more party atmosphere than the more senior HAL pax enjoy. Change is part of life and not always a good change for all. I love Glenn Miller, but I think HAL is definitely trying to dispense with its Glenn Miller reputation.

and in doing so, may well dispense with its passengers who enjoy the sedate lifestyle...it was one of the things that attracted me to HAL for my 1st cruise. Not a party boat, not expecting loud intrusive music.

One thing is for certain. If I was on the ship, and had that problem, I would not be raising it with cruise critic members. No percentage in that.

I would have it addressed by the ships personnel and I would do it sooner than later.

If the ships personnel do not know about it, or how one feels about it, they can hardly be expected to respond or resolve the issue in a timely fashion.

SeagoingMom,

My post was about the aft Seaview pool. The cruise director or other staff would start some music and wander off, often leaving the music quite loud after multiple requests for less volume. When he or she left, we simply went up and turned the volume down!!

You are so right! The last few years it seems more and more times while sitting in any local restaurant, I finally say to my DH - "does someone think we actually enjoy listening to this?" I do not like to scream over music just to enjoy conversations with others at my table.

Absolutely. It is everywhere these days....the gas stations, many restaurants, retail stores, seems to be all over. Very annoying. Not everyone has the same taste in music. Going into a venue and hearing loud unappealing music (like rap or hip-hop - very sorry, I know some people like it) just turns me off. Sometimes silence is golden.........

Go to the Library. Guaranteed to be quiet.

On the Vista Class ships the "Library/Exploration Cafe" is open directly on to the Crow's Nest. Definitely, not a quiet atmosphere.

Ray in NH

Edited by Ray in NH
Corrected name

Absolutely. It is everywhere these days....the gas stations, many restaurants, retail stores, seems to be all over. Very annoying. Not everyone has the same taste in music. Going into a venue and hearing loud unappealing music (like rap or hip-hop - very sorry, I know some people like it) just turns me off. Sometimes silence is golden.........

To me its not the style of music - everyone has their own tastes. Its the volume. The younger generation is used to blaring loud music. My definition of loud is when you have to raise your voice to speak to someone across the table.

There seems to be different issues here. Are we talking about BACKGROUND music or something else.

Background music should not be something you can't talk over. What many of you are posting sounds like night club music.

In the public areas, during the day, I have never heard anything more than contemporary music, like you might here on your local "Lite" or "at work" FM station.

Except once. When the HALcats were playing by the back pool on the Eurodam in 2010 (?). The music was so loud I could still hear it on my balcony on deck 4.

If it is not a live "show" (I use that term loosely) it can be turned down. Yes, ask the local bar keeper. And it is still not satisfactory, I would go to the front desk &/or HM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To me its not the style of music - everyone has their own tastes. Its the volume. The younger generation is used to blaring loud music. My definition of loud is when you have to raise your voice to speak to someone across the table.

Agreed.....whatever is played is WAY too loud......conversation is inhibited........to say the least.

I've mentioned this before. Hal is gearing towards younger people. The salt and pepper haired couple on every brochure has been replaced by a couple in their 30's

The dive, BB King blues band. The ships are getting younger.I heard Greenday in the background in the photo section one day.

I will say the older crowd all danced to Bb King Blues band and packed the joint every night.

Looks like the best solution is to pack your Walkman, Barry Manilow Cassette's

And sit out on the promenade deck.

.I heard Greenday in the background in the photo section one day.

Green Day did have "American Idiot: The Musical" which did over 400 performances on Broadway. So what you heard was probably show tunes. ;)

Because this is how they converse across the table:

4Image43.jpg.2d8459ded77a814ccaf926eb588dc1a3.jpg

Edited by bcd2010

Because this is how they converse across the table:

Sorry but you can't just say that about the younger people - I'm in a group of ladies with average age in the 60's [i keep it low!!] and some of the oldest ones at the table have their phone out every minute. I hate seeing entire families sitting at a table with their phones all out not talking.

Same at work meetings - drives me crazy!

I'm 64 and love Glenn Miller. I also like Snopp Dg, Eminem, and Adele. I have quite varied tastes. I love Bruce and the Beatles. I don't like it loud when I'm reading though. If there must be background music make it soft and low. I like loud music when I'm dancing and partying.

We have found this too on HAL and on Celebrity too. Music very intrusive.

Husband once asked if it could be turned down, or preferably off, and was

told that "no it is a requirement of the ship and other people expect it".

We found the only place we could get any quiet was in the Library, but

most of the time, we found that everybody else thought the same and it

was difficult to find somewhere to sit there.