The Bermudian Grease ball & Pink Coral Sand

FIRELT5

Which beaches are most likely and least likely to be affected? Clearly Grape Bay has been affected recently so I will avoid that location and Elbow beach due to proximity.

Unfortunately, all the most popular South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay and Elbow Beach can potentially be affected.

Which beaches are most likely and least likely to be affected? Clearly Grape Bay has been affected recently so I will avoid that location and Elbow beach due to proximity.

What about John Smith's Bay Beach?? It is north east of the Grape Bay and Horseshoe, Warwick and Elbow are south west.

SBtS

What about John Smith's Bay Beach?? It is north east of the Grape Bay and Horseshoe, Warwick and Elbow are south west.

SBtS

This is from the study:

" If a single sample exceeds 104 enterococci per 100ml in salt water, the US EPA recommends that the beach be closed, or posted, for swimming until levels are lower.

Water samples from the study show contaminations levels ranging from 40 CFU/100mL along Southlands Beach, to 104 CFU at Elbow Beach centre. Contamination levels along John Smith’s beach, Grape Bay beach and Warwick beach were also found to be above the US EPA GeoMean standard."

So John's Smith can be affected as you can read above. They don't mention Horseshoe and other beaches are not named but I would assume all the beaches could be affected under certain conditions. I would not conclude that beaches not named are not affected. And since there is another sewage discharge near St. George I don't think there are going to be any Bermuda beaches on either shore that coud not be affected under certain conditions.

As long as there is any raw sewage outflow the right thing to do during the beach season would be daily checks and posting of beaches if they were above the US EPA standard.Twice a week checks does not cut it in my opinion.

Edited by Charles4515

What are your opinions about swimming in the water if you have been immunized?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You all will fine .

It happens in the USA all the time when it rains and waste water plants overflow .

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/04/09/proposal-would-close-massachusetts-beaches-less-often-from-contamination/owlWhRFjjlrocGEF3RIloL/story.html

I know it sounds nasty to read and I am a bit creeped out, but having been raised in Massachusetts and swimming in local beaches and ponds ( God knows some of them are gross) I think you have to accept that no beach is 100% bacteria free. There is always waste of some sort...unfortunately. I was really nervous, but I still think I will go in up to my waist and not dunk my head and make sure I rinse off and shower as soon as I et back on board. Debating the vaccines, but more worried about what is in THEM than in the water. I just want to see that pink sand ( grease ball free- hopefully) and stick my feet in warm ocean water. If you have ever swam at Nahant Beach you will know why I want to feel it. That water is so cold it makes your legs numb. :D But the government needs to realize they have a problem and if they want tourist $$ to feed their economy then they need to do something.

Why does that mean we will all be fine?

I am not convinced that twice a week measuring in Bermuda is enough. If they measured daily that would make a difference to me. I will go to the beach for sure but as of now I might not go in the water.

Why does that mean we will all be fine?

I am not convinced that twice a week measuring in Bermuda is enough. If they measured daily that would make a difference to me. I will go to the beach for sure but as of now I might not go in the water.

I mean if you had your shots and pollution levels are acceptable you should be O.K.

Having worked building and rebuilding waste water plants across the America , I for one would be far more concerned about the Pharmaceutical products that leach into our drinking water and can not be filtered out .:eek:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/22/hudson-students-win-natl-science-award-for-water-study/

Edited by biker@sea

I mean if you had your shots and pollution levels are acceptable you should be O.K.

Having worked building and rebuilding waste water plants across the America , I for one would be far more concerned about the Pharmaceutical products that leach into our drinking water and can not be filtered out .:eek:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/22/hudson-students-win-natl-science-award-for-water-study/

I agree that if pollution levels are acceptable it would be okay to swim but I am hesitant to believe they are acceptable with only twice a week checking. If the water was sampled every day I would be okay with swimming.

"Seawater samples were taken from Elbow Beach, Grape Bay, Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Hungry Bay, John Smith’s Bay, Clearwater Beach, Shelly Bay, Tobacco Bay, Snorkel Park and Grotto Bay.

All the results were well below the 104cfu/100ml safety standard with Grape Bay, John Smith, Clearwater Beach, Shelly Bay and parts of Elbow and Horseshoe recording readings of ‘0’ enterococci counts."

The results are good but then again that is for a single day, last Tuesday. Conditions can change from day to day. That does not mean that if they did reading on Wednesday the results woud be the same. Until they stop dumping raw sewage I think they should do daily samples during the swim season. Twice a week would be sufficient if they were treating the sewage. I don't think it is sufficient without water treatment.

Disclaimer: It is only my personal gut feeling that it should be done daily.