No more zumba on pool deck?

ICANTWAITTOCRUISE

Am I horrible if I'm glad to see Zumba moved indoors? I always find it annoying to be lying out at the pool with a book and then Zumba lady comes out and starts shouting in her microphone and then half of the pool deck is overtaken by people doing random moves that that the lady isn't even doing. I find it as annoying as the pool band. I think the pool area should remain a relaxing, quiet atmosphere. There are plenty of indoor locations for those that want to hear loud voices, music, etc....unfortunately, I think we're stuck with the pool band.

Michael

No not horrible... unless i am too... i am not a fan of Zumba - not a fan of it poolside - woule MUCH rather hear live music or nothing at all than Zumba classes.

I will definitely not be paying for something that was free before. It is not like spinning that needs some equipment. I hope it is a fail venture and no one pays for it.

LOL. Those were my words when Royal Carribean brought the concept of pay restaurants to cruising. Some 23 years later, everybody is just so happy for the choices that pay restaurants provide. Meanwhile, the MDR no longer serves the quality of food that it once did. That quality is now relegated to the pay restaurants.

Update: We just returned from our Reflection TA. I posted about zumba on May 6th while on the cruise. Zumba was offered for a fee on some port days when the ship arrived late into port (class in morning) or departed early (class late afternoon), but not when we were in port for full days. Also as I noted in my May 6th post, it was offered around every other sea day.

No not horrible... unless i am too... i am not a fan of Zumba - not a fan of it poolside - woule MUCH rather hear live music or nothing at all than Zumba classes.

Am I horrible if I'm glad to see Zumba moved indoors? I always find it annoying to be lying out at the pool with a book and then Zumba lady comes out and starts shouting in her microphone and then half of the pool deck is overtaken by people doing random moves that that the lady isn't even doing. I find it as annoying as the pool band. I think the pool area should remain a relaxing, quiet atmosphere. There are plenty of indoor locations for those that want to hear loud voices, music, etc....unfortunately, I think we're stuck with the pool band.

Michael

I was fine on cruises when they stayed on the pool-deck dance floor, but found it very annoying when people were blocking the track. We would be walking on the track at a fast pace and would be stalled by people who would not budge to let us by but instead just keep on doing zumba like that was the official overflow area.

Kathy

Guess it has moved to the gym...but the upstairs nighclub is also a big space...I have been to the breast cancer dance/exercise event there...plenty of room and a nice sound system!

because Zumba is a gym activity, I was not sad to hear it has left the pool area....nice music there is a plus and maybe a live band in the afternoon

Not sure if I am right but last year we were on the Reflection week of 3/30 and this year week of 4/12....I could have sworn there was poolside Zumba every afternoon last year, but didn't see it listed this year!?

Anyone know why or notice this? I was a bit disappointed as I do work out in the mornings but had been practicing up on my Zumba to be able to do it outside at the pool:)!

Just back from the Reflection TA & the only zumba on the pool deck was a taster session lasting about 15mins. If you wanted to do any more zumba classes you had to put your name on the list that was in the fitness centre, the room that the zumba class is held in only allows 15 people per class at a cost of $11 a lot of people were very angry & upset. This is because Canyon Ranch has taken over the spa. Really disappointed about this as I was looking forward to the poolside zumba class every day. By the was they only had 2 members of staff to do all the exercise classes:mad: Only managed to get my name down for one class as they were always full.

Marion.

Edited by Maz_1

This may have been addressed earlier but as a former activities staff Zumba I can say that the reason for the change is 100% the new gym Canyon Ranch. They wanted to offer the Zumba, which is why it has a charge (like spin and Pilates), and with the elimination of multiple activity staff positions it fit with te timing. All act staff/Zumba were let go as soon as CR took over the gym regardless of contract. The ships with an activity host that can instruct line dance or Latin dance should still be doing those classes just no Zumba. This is the new direction Celebrity wants to go and honestly I think it's a good idea for them (even if it put me out of a job temporarily). So long story short- font expect free Zumba on any more Celebrity sailings. I am just glad that guest are able to try a class first before they pay for it because even a diehard Zumba fan knows that not all instructors are created equal :)

Please tell me this isn't Victor...or at the very least...you have been promoted as per my request to the head office.

Just back from the Reflection TA & the only zumba on the pool deck was a taster session lasting about 15mins. If you wanted to do any more zumba classes you had to put your name on the list that was in the fitness centre, the room that the zumba class is held in only allows 15 people per class at a cost of $11 a lot of people were very angry & upset. This is because Canyon Ranch has taken over the spa. Really disappointed about this as I was looking forward to the poolside zumba class every day. By the was they only had 2 members of staff to do all the exercise classes:mad: Only managed to get my name down for one class as they were always full.

Marion.

Only 15 zumba participants are allowed due to the small area..... (plus it is hot in there) What if...... some folks want to "Zumba" on the other side of the gym where the treadmills are? You could still hear the music. Would the staff "round the passengers up?" and charge them $11 each?

Only 15 zumba participants are allowed due to the small area..... (plus it is hot in there) What if...... some folks want to "Zumba" on the other side of the gym where the treadmills are? You could still hear the music. Would the staff "round the passengers up?" and charge them $11 each?

The Reflection has a separate fitness classroom with a door; the room is accessed from the hall before entering the larger room with the treadmills and other aerobic and weight machines. The ship also has separate stretching, spinning, and personal trainer/assessment rooms from the same hall. There is no classroom floor by the treadmills or music or voices emanating from those smaller rooms, and you can't see the classes from the larger room, only from the hall that leads to the larger room. The Reflection spa/fitness area has a different layout than the other ships, at least the ones with which I am familiar. The other ships I am familiar with have the class floor integrated in the same room with the equipment.

Kathy