No more zumba on pool deck?

ICANTWAITTOCRUISE

Thank you Jane for your honesty. Talk is cheap and people always say " There's no way I'm going to pay those Ba%#ds", but then they do.

On my first Celebrity cruise there was this moron who kept playing Black Jack hand after $10 hand.

When he went to Bistro on 5 he was furious at having to pay $5 for gelato for his dessert crepe.

He refused! That idiot was me.:o. People are funny about money.

The cost of a cruise with air makes the $11 charge a tiny tiny amount of the total cost.

This doesn't absolve Celebrity of being greedy short-sighted dopes but yours is the mature attitude (unlike mine).

This doesn't absolve Celebrity of being greedy short-sighted dopes but yours is the mature attitude (unlike mine).

I'd venture to say that it is Canyon Ranch who are, in your words, the greedy short-sighted dopes, since I'm sure in their contract with Celebrity, they can charge whatever they want for their services and Celebrity might not have any input in the prices that Canyon Ranch charges.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'd venture to say that it is Canyon Ranch who are, in your words, the greedy short-sighted dopes, since I'm sure in their contract with Celebrity, they can charge whatever they want for their services and Celebrity might not have any input in the prices that Canyon Ranch charges.
So you're saying poor little RCCL, current maket cap of 11 Billion, has no input as to what may be charged or not charged. What programs are to be considered as an "intro" class or not.

That they may not mandate that certain programs be without charge. So if ,as an example, Canyon Ranch wanted to charge for using the equipment or the showers, RCCL would have no power to impose its wishes.:rolleyes:

I disagree. This is all on Celebrity and their corporate masters. And if their have to "pay back" CR for these classes - They should !

Edited by richstowe

So you're saying poor little RCCL, current maket cap of 11 Billion, has no input as to what may be charged or not charged. What programs are to be considered as an "intro" class or not.

That they may not mandate that certain programs be without charge. So if ,as an example, Canyon Ranch wanted to charge for using the equipment or the showers, RCCL would have no power to impose its wishes.:rolleyes:

I disagree. This is all on Celebrity and their corporate masters. And if their have to "pay back" CR for these classes - They should !

Didn't say poor anyone. Just that it all depends on how the contract between Celebrity and Canyon Ranch is written as to if Celebrity has input on what Canyon Ranch charges for the services, etc. under their control. I'm also guessing that Canyon Ranch has been successful charging for Zumba on the other ships where they have spas, since on some they have apparently doing it for years, so it will be intersting to see if they have success on Celebrity ships.

Agree to disagree, we all have our opinions. I won't vilify anyone without knowing all the true facts.

Didn't say poor anyone. Just that it all depends on how the contract between Celebrity and Canyon Ranch is written as to if Celebrity has input on what Canyon Ranch charges for the services, etc. under their control. I'm also guessing that Canyon Ranch has been successful charging for Zumba on the other ships where they have spas, since on some they have apparently doing it for years, so it will be intersting to see if they have success on Celebrity ships.

Agree to disagree, we all have our opinions. I won't vilify anyone without knowing all the true facts.

Zumba classes used to be taught by Celebrity activity staff. If they are now being taught by Canyon Ranch, it was Celebrity's decision to make the change. I am sure Celebrity knew all the details before agreeing to hand Zumba over to Canyon Ranch.

This has become an issue here only because Zumba on the ship was previously free.

Anything becomes an issue when a company starts charging a fee for something that used to be included free.

Nobody is complaining about the fee that is charged for other exercise classes on the ships like spinning or yoga. Most passengers simply do not attend them.

On one of our Celebrity cruises a young man from the ship's staff led a free exercise class called aerobic Latin dance, or something similar.

It was just like Zumba, but without using the Zumba name.

Some of the passengers who participated thought it was even better than the Zumba classes.

Anyone can lead a dance exercise class as long as they do not call it Zumba and do not use any Zumba materials. Such classes were around for years, under different names in different places, long before the Zumba marketing explosion.

I wonder if Celebrity could still offer such free classes under another name, or if there is some kind of non-compete clause that would prohibit them from doing so, should they even wish to do it at all.

And the financial folks thank you for this. As I write this sitting in an airport, I had the opportunity to upgrade to the extra legroom seat for just $50.......oh, that's the seat that used to be free when the ticket cost less. I stuffed my carry on so I didn't have to pay the $50 fee to check a bag....which was also free on that cheaper flight. But I guess many just buck up, open their wallets and pay which is why we will likely see that included meals are all in the buffet and eating in the mdr will have an additional fee.think I'm exaggerating...wait a few years..hopefully a few, but likely sooner.

ghstudio - I hear where you are coming from but I have to be honest. There are MANY things on a cruise I won't pay for - bingo, art auctions, massage, etc. but for years they have been charging for certain exercise classes - and no I wouldn't pay for those but Zumba is what I do well - what if they charged for trivia? Some people would pay for that because that is what they enjoy. I don't want to pay for Zumba but if it is the only way I can do it then I will but truly on my last cruise - I was the only person out of a pretty large crowd each day that was experienced - so X may have shot themselves in the foot over this one as I suspect there are few people willing to pay.

This has become an issue here only because Zumba on the ship was previously free.

Anything becomes an issue when a company starts charging a fee for something that used to be included free.

It's not just the new fee for the class that is an issue. I think that for many of us, there was a kind of novelty associated with doing Zumba by the pool. Pros and cons always, but the pros were outweighing the cons for me...it was perfect vacation Zumba...focus on fun and burn some calories. Going into some room in the fitness center is just not as appealing at all. I was not impressed with the fitness center on Connie, I didn't enjoy the one class that I took there partly because of the class itself and partly because of the room...picturing Zumba in that same place makes me sad.

My wife really likes doing Zumba. It is something that she plans her schedule around. The change to move it into a fairly small area in the work out facility makes it less attractive to her on ship.

While it won't stop us from cruising on Celebrity it will figure into some of our decisions. We have been planning to take Celebrity on a TA next year and then catch the Royal Princess in Southampton. We wanted Celebrity for the pool in the Solarium (Royal Princess only has an outdoor pool) for the at sea days on the TA. Now we may switch our plan and take the Royal Princess for both the TA and the following British Isles cruise.

Reading this thread and I'm really wondering what's going to happen on our cruise in August. We are a group if 25+ Zumba members and instructors. This will be our second cruise but the last one was on NCL. On that one, we booked the nightclub at 6 am daily and also did Aqua Zumba mid morning and another around 4pm on sea days. Ours was closed classes for liability but in the open areas people joined in. The following year, Zumba became a regular activity. I'll be curious to see if this Canyon Spa tries to interfere with us or work with us. Our trip has been booked for over a year now. We pay a surcharge to cover our instructors so I'll be damned if I'm paying twice! Only time will tell.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I don't believe it's just about the money. Jane makes a good point when she says she was the only one who appeared experienced. As I have already stated the young adults with us would not choose to pay for a class due to the variance in Zumba instructors but did join in by the pool. A fun activity which on our cruise was very popular. In fact by the end of our 12 day cruise most of the deck were participating in some way.

A lot of Celebrity ships are going to be Europe and Med. based for the next 5/6 months. Most cruises are port intensive, regular gym attendees take the correct equipment training shoes etc. but most passengers conscience of luggage allowance will not have trainers or sports wear with them. By the pool people joined in in swimming costumes, some with a coverall or T shirt most people's feet were bare. Remember most Europeans don't wear pumps/trainers/sneakers anywhere other than a gym.

Our objection is a fun activity has been removed which was enjoyed by many who may not attend a gym and an an extra exercise class added for the gym attendees.

Why can't Celebrity do both? Fun dance class poolside, serious exercise class in the gym.

Exactly my opinion - it was fun by the pool, a lot of participants and it created a good atmosphere.

And the older ones of us could take part until they were out of breath and then go sit down without having to be embarassed :rolleyes:.

A paying class is a whole different level - not just the additional fee (small part of total holiday budget), but especially the more formal taking part. I assume, you will have to register, group will be smaller and more "dedicated" and someone not very experienced or fit will feel out of place and most of us won t even venture that way.

It seems to me that Celebrity just can not make up its mind ; on one hand is trying to attract a younger clientele, on the other hand doing away with activities by activity staff that especially younger people seem to enjoy. On our last 2 (long, repo) cruises there were activities like Zumba, eggdrop, boat building, team events (different countries competing for price), that certain people (especially some older ones ?) might find a bit silly, but which attracted a lot of the younger cruisers and was good fun for all to watch.

Edited by Michidoeme

but most passengers conscience of luggage allowance will not have trainers or sports wear with them. By the pool people joined in in swimming costumes, some with a coverall or T shirt most people's feet were bare.

This is true but at least on my last sailing, there were about 10 of us who knew what we were doing. I was impressed, especially by about 3 or 4 of the passengers doing zumba because they could keep up. I am one of those that must get some form of workout in my trip so I take my gym clothes and shoes. Zumba for me was an extra calorie burner so for that reason and because I can wait until I come back, I won't be paying for the fee. Same reason I won't pay for spinning classes. I am very particular about the instructor.

Currently on Solstice. There is a free intro Zumba class poolside tomorrow. After that, it is $11 + 18%/class. Bummer. Maybe this has already been stated. Don't have time to read the foregoing posts.

I don't believe it's just about the money. Jane makes a good point when she says she was the only one who appeared experienced.

Our objection is a fun activity has been removed which was enjoyed by many who may not attend a gym and an an extra exercise class added for the gym attendees.

Why can't Celebrity do both? Fun dance class poolside, serious exercise class in the gym.

Why can't Celebrity do both? They can but it seems they won't !

As YVR cruiser has stated, the plan seems to be giv'em a sample pool-side early in the cruise, and then push the pay-for classes.

Am I horrible if I'm glad to see Zumba moved indoors? I always find it annoying to be lying out at the pool with a book and then Zumba lady comes out and starts shouting in her microphone and then half of the pool deck is overtaken by people doing random moves that that the lady isn't even doing. I find it as annoying as the pool band. I think the pool area should remain a relaxing, quiet atmosphere. There are plenty of indoor locations for those that want to hear loud voices, music, etc....unfortunately, I think we're stuck with the pool band.

Michael

Am I horrible if I'm glad to see Zumba moved indoors? I always find it annoying to be lying out at the pool with a book and then Zumba lady comes out and starts shouting in her microphone and then half of the pool deck is overtaken by people doing random moves that that the lady isn't even doing. I find it as annoying as the pool band. I think the pool area should remain a relaxing, quiet atmosphere. There are plenty of indoor locations for those that want to hear loud voices, music, etc....unfortunately, I think we're stuck with the pool band.

Michael

No your not horrible but that being said, I'll be on the Century in Alaska so i'd imagine the group will move indoors anyway. I've never been in this ship before but I've found the pool areas on the other ships noisy without the band's or Zumba. That's why I read books along the promenades where there are usually only passersby. It's more the fact that more and more activities -especially the popular ones- are all now charging fees. To me it's not the way to entice people to the cruise industry when there are so many all inclusive vacation options competing for their clients.

No your not horrible but that being said, I'll be on the Century in Alaska so i'd imagine the group will move indoors anyway. I've never been in this ship before but I've found the pool areas on the other ships noisy without the band's or Zumba. That's why I read books along the promenades where there are usually only passersby. It's more the fact that more and more activities -especially the popular ones- are all now charging fees. To me it's not the way to entice people to the cruise industry when there are so many all inclusive vacation options competing for their clients.

That's the big question isn't it? Up the cruise fare to Regent, Silverseas and have everything included or have an affordable fare and then go a la carte and pick and choose what you want to pay for. There are enough people that post that say that they don't want to "subsidize" things for other people that they themselves are not interested in.

That's the big question isn't it? Up the cruise fare to Regent, Silverseas and have everything included or have an affordable fare and then go a la carte and pick and choose what you want to pay for. There are enough people that post that say that they don't want to "subsidize" things for other people that they themselves are not interested in.

I also cruise Crystal, but not so much since they went all inclusive. Before they went all inclusive, they offered an any way you want OBC; I got $1,000 on a cruise, but now I don't get the $1,000 and the fares have gone up, so it is costing me considerably ($1,000+) more to cruise with them, since I'm subsidizing others alcohol consumption. I don't mind paying for what I drink, but to pay for what others drink, not so much.

We're currently on the Reflection TA sailing on April 26th. The first Zumba class, which was an Introduction to Zumba, was free and held at the pool. The rest cost and are being held in the fitness center around every other sea day during the crossing. Classes may not be held while in port; no class in Tenerife and I think no class today while in Malaga. I have not seen the price listed. Kathy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know how they could stop you...but there are signs all over the pool deck that say "no exercise." It's crazy...but it's true. I was paying attention because I was looking to see if there was a place anywhere where I might be able to flop out a yoga mat and do yoga on my own on a future cruise, because I didn't want to pay to attend a class...that, and I wanted to be able to do it whenever I wanted to...so I found it very interesting to see those "no exercise" signs all over.

Just for your information, we have just got off the Eclipse and a man was doing Tai Chi all on his own up in the sky lounge near the doorway, nobody passed any remarks there was actually something else going on in the sky lounge, but his activities didn't interfere with that, don't see why you doing yoga would offend anyone, enjoy I say. :)

That's just cheap from them. What else are they going to cut. Fee for a chair closer to the pool?

How much is a zumba instructor cost them per week; $800-$1000 per week (including room)? That's $0.50 per guest (Constellation 2000 pass.)

My wife enjoyed the FREE Zumba class on the ship. She will not pay for it.

This may have been addressed earlier but as a former activities staff Zumba I can say that the reason for the change is 100% the new gym Canyon Ranch. They wanted to offer the Zumba, which is why it has a charge (like spin and Pilates), and with the elimination of multiple activity staff positions it fit with te timing. All act staff/Zumba were let go as soon as CR took over the gym regardless of contract. The ships with an activity host that can instruct line dance or Latin dance should still be doing those classes just no Zumba. This is the new direction Celebrity wants to go and honestly I think it's a good idea for them (even if it put me out of a job temporarily). So long story short- font expect free Zumba on any more Celebrity sailings. I am just glad that guest are able to try a class first before they pay for it because even a diehard Zumba fan knows that not all instructors are created equal :)

This may have been addressed earlier but as a former activities staff Zumba I can say that the reason for the change is 100% the new gym Canyon Ranch. They wanted to offer the Zumba, which is why it has a charge (like spin and Pilates), and with the elimination of multiple activity staff positions it fit with te timing. All act staff/Zumba were let go as soon as CR took over the gym regardless of contract. The ships with an activity host that can instruct line dance or Latin dance should still be doing those classes just no Zumba. This is the new direction Celebrity wants to go and honestly I think it's a good idea for them (even if it put me out of a job temporarily). So long story short- font expect free Zumba on any more Celebrity sailings. I am just glad that guest are able to try a class first before they pay for it because even a diehard Zumba fan knows that not all instructors are created equal :)

Thank you for your explanation. I'm sorry you are out of a job. I was looking forward to having Ron again when sailing on Eclipse next year. I guess it's not to be. He was great.