No more zumba on pool deck?

ICANTWAITTOCRUISE

Yes, it was Andres. He was part of the Activities staff and became a licensed Zumba teacher. He is awesome!!

On our Equinox T/A in November they had a Zumba instructor from Spain. They did it twice a day, he really got everyone going. He was really good.

But those day are gone since they cut the activities staff. On the Infinity they had 4 people now they have 2.:(

Just spoke to current; Zumba instructor on solstice. He is leaving at the end of this cruise. Zumba is taken over by Canyon Ranch, classes held in fitness center. One or two will be free but then they will be $11 per class starting next cruise.

Hopefully passengers will not attend the for a fee classes and then, possibly, Canyon Ranch will re-evaluate charging for them.

Hmmm. I was trying to see if there was anything specific about Zumba on the Canyon Ranch website...I didn't see anything, but it was interesting reading:

http://www.canyonranch.com/sea/luxury-ships/

http://canyonranch.com/sites/default/files/i/downloads/atsea/celebrity_cruises_guide_to_services.pdf

I might be incorrect, because I don't do the classes at their spa in Tucson, but I believe all classes are included in the total cost. It also includes meals, use of fitness equipment, pools, etc. The only things I've paid for there is spa treatments and salon treatments (they do give you X amount to spend on treatments, etc. within the cost - for example, for four night stay, I got $630 worth of treatments).

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hopefully passengers will not attend the for a fee classes and then, possibly, Canyon Ranch will re-evaluate charging for them.

I will definitely not be paying for something that was free before. It is not like spinning that needs some equipment.

I hope it is a fail venture and no one pays for it.

I will be fine with the treadmill/elliptical and my own music.

Edited by Sandy1975

I will definitely not be paying for something that was free before. It is not like spinning that needs some equipment.

I hope it is a fail venture and no one pays for it.

This was one really good thing they did and now they're going to charge for it. I have no intention of paying for it. Really, just how much money are they saving with this compared to the lack of goodwill.

I truly hope this fails but if people are prepared to pay for other classes, no doubt they'll pay for Zumba and Celebrity will be saying - kerching! - another money-earner :mad:

Edited by Bobal

Just spoke to current; Zumba instructor on solstice. He is leaving at the end of this cruise. Zumba is taken over by Canyon Ranch, classes held in fitness center. One or two will be free but then they will be $11 per class starting next cruise.

Just read a Facebook post from someone on the TA. First two "intro" classes were free the rest it's $11 in the fitness centre

Just read a Facebook post from someone on the TA. First two "intro" classes were free the rest it's $11 in the fitness centre

Very disappointed to hear this. My daughter very much enjoyed the Zumba classes on the Century (Alaska 2013) that were held in the theatre. (Of course, due to the weather, the pool deck was not an option.)

Celebrity might not be the cruise line of choice for many thirty-somethings, but the Zumba classes were definitely an activity that many of them would enjoy. Most would not be inclined to pay $11 per session for them, though.

I hope Celebrity reconsiders the decision to charge for the Zumba classes. It seems to me that activity leaders who were also certified to teach Zumba would have been the most flexible type of employee. I don't feel that the recent move to fire half the activity staff and hire contracted-out Zumba instructors for extra-charge classes is an improvement in any way.

Celebrity might not be the cruise line of choice for many thirty-somethings, but the Zumba classes were definitely an activity that many of them would enjoy. Most would not be inclined to pay $11 per session for them, though.

Yep, this 30 something will not want to pay for the class. Not because I can't afford it but because I don't want to.

So short-sighted! They want a younger demographic and then they nickel and dime them?

Wonder how many VP's it took to come up with this.:mad:

Such a shame to hear Zumba classes are going to be at a charge.

However if this is the case where will they be held? I can't think of a space big enough in the fitness centre, is there a separate room which I have missed?

If another venue, how will they stop people joining in? Unless they close the sky lounge for a period or use the Theatre stage and surely this would limit the numbers able to participate.

4 of our usual party of 8 are between 24 and 29. I asked them what they thought of this proposal. They stated they would not pay for any classes as these are free with their gym membership and both girls would not want to participate in a paid for class with novices or an unknown instructor. It seems Zumba classes can vary tremendously, however all 4 participated when the class was held on the deck because of the 'party atmosphere ' created by the instructor.

Have Celebrity thought this through? Activities such as poolside Zumba are more likely to attract the younger cruisers rather than the 'Mature' cruiser.

well this 60+ zumba fan is very disappointed. I have taken 4 cruises with celebrity in the last year and a half and zumba was the area I thought celebrity had made the right call with. It is not so much the $11 I object to ( oh yeah I guess I do object here too) but rather the loss of what was a fun participatory program that many seemed to really enjoy. Relegating it to a smaller cramped space and then charging for the privilege...no say it ain't so joe. I've been reading several other threads which are bemoaning the downward spiral in celebrity's general program and have kept quiet, but this was the only activity this elite plus participated in.

4 of our usual party of 8 are between 24 and 29. I asked them what they thought of this proposal. They stated they would not pay for any classes as these are free with their gym membership and both girls would not want to participate in a paid for class with novices or an unknown instructor. It seems Zumba classes can vary tremendously, however all 4 participated when the class was held on the deck because of the 'party atmosphere ' created by the instructor.

This is very true. I would usually first watch and see if the class fits what I look for in Zumba. For me, I need to feel like I am having a good workout and not just moving around dancing. Instructors can vary significantly, especially if there isn't a base for what the class level is like.

The thing about Zumba instructors is that they are LICENSED not certified. You pay for the 8 hour training and presto! you are a Zumba instructor! Of course they differ. And people are very particular about their Zumba instructors. Style varies greatly. Zumba instructors are allowed to do whatever they want so long as they are within the guidelines of Zumba...but there is NO Zumba police...and so...instructors vary greatly. GREATLY.

I don't think Celebrity is in control any longer...and all the comments on this thread are now without any influence toward Celebrity, because I believe that they have given control of all this and related to Canyon Ranch. I can only imagine that Canyon Ranch pays Celebrity for the privilege of owning the real estate and related services on board Celebrity ships...and now Canyon Ranch is trying to turn a profit against the cost of the rented space.

Edited by Anita Latte

So disappointing - Finally managed to talk my daughter into joining a Med cruise this Summer - she was looking forward to doing Zumba on the pool deck. One of the points of convincing her cruising was just not for "grey haired" people.

Edited by Michidoeme

Just got off the Reflection today. The first intro class for Zumba was free, then it was held in one of the fitness rooms by Canyon Ranch and **fee applies for the remainder of the week. I didn't even bother to ask how much!

I do various dance classes inside "buildings" all year round...One of my favorite things to do on a cruise (last one was MSC Divina) was zumba on the deck. Doing zumba outside instead of inside gives a whole different vibe to it...Will have to really think about paying $11 for an inside class while onboard!

I paid for the aquabike class on MSC since it was OUTSIDE in the pool so it's not just about the $$

Sad to read about this and hope it changes before our December 2014 cruise!

Barbara

Got curious about why the change to charge for Zumba. I found two items for ships that Canyon Ranch has the spas and, as you can see, they both charge for the Zumba classes. I guess this is just something that Canyon Ranch does; doesn’t mean it is right or wrong, just something they do.

I found this article dated 2010 for a Cunard ship: Use of the fitness center, changing rooms and lockers are complimentary. Some of the instructor-led classes, such as Zumba and Spinning, are available at an additional cost.

2014 for Oceania from cruise critic: Recently back from B2B Caribbean cruise and they did have Zumba classes on some days but not daily. It is not listed in the Daily Currents but on the currents insert under Fitness Class Schedule (of which I only brought 1 home with me) BUT it happens to be one with 8am - Zumba classes on it. 45 minutes at an extra charge of $11.

Did Zumba for the first time on the Silhouette in 2012 (inside in the atrium) and got addicted to it. Last year on the Eclipse they did the outside classes at the pool, it was fun but sometimes pretty hot in the afternoon and you had a lot of spectators. Both times the instructors were part of their entertainment team and both were pretty good. Hope to have Zumba in May on the Reflection but I definitely won't pay $ 11 per lesson. We have a lot of ports where we will do a lot of walking and I can go back to my gym at home after 11days. I love Zumba and I would like to do it on the ship but it won't ruin my cruise experience if I skip it for a few days. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So disappointing :mad: and as with everything on a ship the price is out of line for what you would pay at a Zumba studio. However I'm sure that I would be one to pay for it as it is my exercise of choice - I'm not a runner and Zumba burns calories while toning. For the price of a drink - it is my healthy choice.

Just got off the Reflection today. The first intro class for Zumba was free, then it was held in one of the fitness rooms by Canyon Ranch and **fee applies for the remainder of the week. I didn't even bother to ask how much!

+1

I was on the Refection the beginning of April. DS and I enjoyed the free 15 min intro/teaser Zumba on the pool deck but I was very disappointed that there was a charge for the rest of the week. We did not go after that.

So disappointing :mad: and as with everything on a ship the price is out of line for what you would pay at a Zumba studio. However I'm sure that I would be one to pay for it as it is my exercise of choice - I'm not a runner and Zumba burns calories while toning. For the price of a drink - it is my healthy choice.

And the financial folks thank you for this. As I write this sitting in an airport, I had the opportunity to upgrade to the extra legroom seat for just $50.......oh, that's the seat that used to be free when the ticket cost less. I stuffed my carry on so I didn't have to pay the $50 fee to check a bag....which was also free on that cheaper flight. But I guess many just buck up, open their wallets and pay which is why we will likely see that included meals are all in the buffet and eating in the mdr will have an additional fee.think I'm exaggerating...wait a few years..hopefully a few, but likely sooner.

Edited by ghstudio