RCCL Secrets they don't tell you about

Saw this on the Carnival board. Are there any behind-the-scenes secrets they often don't tell you about... or you wish you knew beforehand?

Sailing on the NOS sept. 24th and trying to learn as much as I can.

Jim

YES!! The biggest secret is that you'll only have as good of a time as you allow yourself. If you let yourself get all worked up over line cutters, seat savers, elevator intruders ect.. ect.. basicly rude behavior of others you will not have a good time. I have decided a long time ago, that I will not allow anyone else to take my nice vacation away. I have a good time whether waiting in line to check in or trying to push my way out of the elevator while everyone is rushing. It's your vacation have a ball. Smile and ignore the little things that maybe wrong, but not worth getting upset over.

When I was on AOS nobody told me how much stair-climbing I'd be doing. Being to impatient to wait for elevators, I was constantly using the stairs. Cabin deck 9 to dining room deck 3 to the pools on the upper decks to the gangway on lower decks back to buffet on the 11th. Who needs a gym? By the end of the week I'd eaten like a pig but gained no weight and as opposed to my usual sedentary lifestyle had been moving constantly.

Bring your own coffee pot because their coffee is like mud. I found a coffeemaker with a plastic mug instead of a glass pot that I am bringing. I also found out recently that our RCCL balcony does not have a dining size table, so I went online and searched for "rollup tables" and ordered one ($19.95+shipping) that is perfect size and height. It arrived in three days. It is a nice collapsable table that sets up quickly and will be perfect for dining. It came with a canvas bag with a shoulder strap--light and easy carrying. It is sad that RCCL doesn't carry these for Room Service Dining on my balcony. Oh well, I figure the table will be great for holidays when you are always looking for another table.

YES!! The biggest secret is that you'll only have as good of a time as you allow yourself. If you let yourself get all worked up over line cutters, seat savers, elevator intruders ect.. ect.. basicly rude behavior of others you will not have a good time. I have decided a long time ago, that I will not allow anyone else to take my nice vacation away. I have a good time whether waiting in line to check in or trying to push my way out of the elevator while everyone is rushing. It's your vacation have a ball. Smile and ignore the little things that maybe wrong, but not worth getting upset over.

Excellent point!

EXCELLENT attitude!! Change your Latitude! :)

I couldn't agree more. Well said!

They don't tell you how addicted you will become to their cruiseline after your first cruise with them:) Excellent service, food, staff, lots to do!

Cruising, it's the only way to go!

We will be completing our 9th cruise with RCCL in January. Only sailed 2 other lines, and by far, RCCL is simply the best. They don't have to tell you that, they SHOW you that:)

Most folks don't know that regardless of cabin type, if you ask your cabin steward for robes, you will probably get them. We've always had robes from our very first RCI cruise. You can get a larger ice bucket for chilling champagne at any bar. You can ask your room steward to leave 2 ice buckets in your fridge or have him fill your own collapsable cooler for more ice. Extra hangers can be provided by room steward. You can order anything on the dinner menu as a side dish, or get as many entrees, appetizers, etc. as you wish. I always request a side of asperagas if it is offered on one of the entrees. On one cruise our tablemates requested an avacado and a papaya sliced as an appetizer every night. If you order the "drink of the day" in a plain, not souvenir, glass, it will cost less.

More secrets? Let's see..............just because your documents say "boarding begins at 2 P.M. with departure at 6 P.M.", you can usually board by 11 - 12.

SOMETIMES the specialty restaurant only charges half price the first night.

You don't have to buy that photo that you like right away. You can stockpile all of them (either with the photo people at the desk or in a corner of the display) and make up your mind near the end which one(s) you want.

You can have your formal picture taken as often as you like. You can go from photo station to photo station to photo station, and see the next day which one(s) turned out best.

You don't REALLY need tickets for the ice show. Generally, you can just walk right in.

Make friends with a bartender. Money is always appreciated, but sometimes just being friendly and courteous gets you "extra" consideration when you want a drink.

Carol

that's the ticket!!! Our cabins are on deck 2! I was getting discouraged when I keep reading about everyone on higher decks but now I realize it is karma! Who needs to go to the gym, the stairs it will be for me!

Melissa

On our last cruise aboard the Brilliance we were able to check our carryon luggage with a crew memeber while we went to eat in the Windjammer. We had to be back to pick it up by noon. Sure was nice not having to tote everything. Hope they do this on the other ships.

but they are for the handicapped in their wheelchairs, so we at 55 use the stairs everywhere we go. Just hike up the gown to go up, but beware of kids running up them. Oh how I wanted to stick my foot out to trip them, but I didn't.

But with all the calories we burn, we can have that extra desert!

Someone just referred to it, but not in this context. The froo-froo drinks can be bought without alchohol! My body no longer tolerates alchohol and I thought I had been consigned to an umbrellaless life. It was two days into my 02/04 cruise before I noticed the waiters had separate rum bottles. Thanks for RCI for putting the froo-froo back in my life.

I was thinking someone told me that the shipshape center is more than meets the eye. There's a sauna, whirlpool, and steamroom all for free. True? How does the steam room or sauna differ from the thermal suites which I assume are not free? Anybody have more details on the shipshape center attractions?

Most folks don't know that regardless of cabin type, if you ask your cabin steward for robes, you will probably get them. We've always had robes from our very first RCI cruise. You can get a larger ice bucket for chilling champagne at any bar. You can ask your room steward to leave 2 ice buckets in your fridge or have him fill your own collapsable cooler for more ice. Extra hangers can be provided by room steward. You can order anything on the dinner menu as a side dish, or get as many entrees, appetizers, etc. as you wish. I always request a side of asperagas if it is offered on one of the entrees. On one cruise our tablemates requested an avacado and a papaya sliced as an appetizer every night. If you order the "drink of the day" in a plain, not souvenir, glass, it will cost less.

Great tips!

favorite secret and laugh about RCI...at the specialty coffee bar they sell "Seattle's Best Coffee" however, you can also get it for free at the buffets as they also brew "Seattle's Best." However, the buffet doesn't serve it with espresso or froth it as a latte...Yes, you can board at noon - but that's when all the transfer passengers (from the airlines) are boarding and it will be your longest wait at least an hour. If you wait until 2 pm the lines are non existent...yes, you can bring a couple bottles of wine or some beer in your luggage, just pack it well so it doesn't break. As long as you drink it in your room-there is no problem and your cabin steward will gladly bring you a corkscrew or bottle opener...restaurant dining - this is where you can have it your way 3 appetizers and no entrees or 2 entrees and no appetizers. If you don't like the dish, gracioiusly tell your waiter and it will be replaced with another...if you don't like the excursions the cruise line offers, you can choose from others that will be waiting for you at all your ports...also take part in the trivia and games it's a great way to meet your fellow passengers!

Archived