What would make Oceania (even) better?

numbersix

I totally agree with TravelCat2 - don't have Trivia and Tea at the same time and don't have Trivia in the Theatre. Why not have it right before tea in Horizons like Regent does? And on Riviera and Marina Horizons is so huge this really shouldn't be a problem.

I don't mind what time Waves closes in the afternoon because I don't eat anything that close to dinner but I would like at least one dining venue to stay open later if tours are coming back around 1300 or so. Otherwise one has a terrible rush to get lunch...

And I agree with the person(s) who said that the smoking area at Horizons should be either completely glassed in or removed. And I would also like to have NO smoking on the pool (or any other) deck. I found myself holding my breath every time I walked by that area. Smokers don't realise this I think - to non-smokers smoke stinks and there is no other way to say it. So glassed in with double doors is the way to go.

O could learn a lesson from how the specialty coffee locations are handled on Celebrity and Azamara.

Of course on Celebrity the coffee is not included (unless you buy one of the drink packages) but there is a wide array of delectable tea sandwiches and pastries that are available to all at no cost throughout the day -- enough for breakfast or lunch).

On Azamara the Mosaic Cafe (which is the entire deck 5 area in front of the shops on their R ships) is a fabulous and comfortable place to get coffees and small bites (included). I find Baristas on the O ships very uncomfortable (yes, I know, supposed to be like a coffee bar in Italy where everyone stands up and has coffee). I want to sit in a comfy chair and linger with my latte. I hope that the R ship version of Baristas will be a more comfortable place to linger.

Completely agree that Cafe al Bacio on Celebrity blows away Baristas in almost every respect - seating, location, food and drink menu, socialization etc. Celebrity took a mediocre prior concept - Cova Cafe - and tweaked it until they came up with a real winner.

The Spa Deck on the O class ships, available to Concierge and above (and apparently finally key accessible only) is a meaningful perk. The good news, but also the problem, is the isolation of the area. While we don't expect Evian spritzers and cold towels every 15 minutes, it would be nice if there were one pool butler and one pool waiter who were responsible to cover the area once on an hourly basis; we have been there on occasion when they never appeared. Service is random, seemingly without any assigned responsibility.

Finally, a real pet peeve because it is so simple and so little cost - upon embarking the ship in port, why is there not a welcome back tent, an attendant, cold water, and something such as fruit punch. The absence of any greeting and warmth is so Carnival/NCL-ish; in fact, they may even do better, I'm not sure.

Come on FDR - Oceania is terrific, the little things that would make it GREAT are so simple to implement.

OK, I will play.

I would like the library on Riviera (and, I assume, on Marina) to be configured somehow so that we could have quiet reading time there.

On the R ships we always enjoyed the quiet atmosphere on sea days. But there, the Library is more enclosed.

On our last Riviera sailing I got into a scrap with another passenger when I (politely -- really!) asked that they please speak more quietly as there were people trying to read in the library. He called ME rude and criticized me loudly for having the gall to request quiet in a library!

I believe they were spillover folks from Baristas - so I guess this piggybacks onto the Baristas comments, above. The noise level in Baristas (especially the wonderfully enthusiastic servers there) can be heard all the way through the Library. That needs to be closed off if possible.

Just my cranky, whiny thoughts.

Finally, a real pet peeve because it is so simple and so little cost - upon embarking the ship in port, why is there not a welcome back tent, an attendant, cold water, and something such as fruit punch. The absence of any greeting and warmth is so Carnival/NCL-ish; in fact, they may even do better, I'm not sure.

Come on FDR - Oceania is terrific, the little things that would make it GREAT are so simple to implement.

On our cruises there has been a tent in most ports with drinks (water, fruit punch) & some chairs (not many)

For the spa deck there was a trolley out side the entry with drinks on it...sodas & water

No alcohol in the spa area which is fine for me, it is not a party area

I can only imagine the free for all there would be in the laundry room if it was free to all on the R-ships :eek:

It works just fine as it is ....maybe those with 20 + cruises could have free laundry as a perk (I am not there yet)

I do hope they do NOT become like Azamara

Edited by LHT28

On our cruises there has been a tent in most ports with drinks (water, fruit punch) & some chairs (not many)

For the spa deck there was a trolley out side the entry with drinks on it...sodas & water

No alcohol in the spa area which is fine for me, it is not a party area

If those changes have been implemented since our last Oceania cruise it would be most welcome. We had put both items on our comments card. It's good to know that comments are considered and sometimes acted upon.

If those changes have been implemented since our last Oceania cruise it would be most welcome. We had put both items on our comments card. It's good to know that comments are considered and sometimes acted upon.

We sailed in Jan on Riviera the cart was there outside the spa deck along with the key entry system

As for the tents they have been in the ports for several years now

Lyn

We sailed in Jan on Riviera the cart was there outside the spa deck along with the key entry system

As for the tents they have been in the ports for several years now

Lyn

We too have been on ) cruises where there was not only a welcome tent, but even a band serenading us when we returned.

I think it might be a function of who the cruise director is.

I can only imagine the free for all there would be in the laundry room if it was free to all on the R-ships :eek:

It works just fine as it is ....maybe those with 20 + cruises could have free laundry as a perk (I am not there yet)

The laundry room on the Azamara R ships are no no more crowded than on the O R ships. I don't think the cost is a factor. It's a few dollars

I'm from SF too (but born in Brooklyn) and, with all do respect, traditional Neapolitan or Sicilian pizza is either red sauce made with San Marzano tomatoes or white sauce made with fresh clams. Beyond whole milk mozzarella, a sprinkling of parmigiana, a few snipped basil leaves and EVOO, one meat topping (preferably Molinari hot Sicilian sausage in CA [or the east coast equivalent]) is acceptable. But, please, don't refer to California Kitchen type bread "pies" with all sorts of ingredients piled on them (or do it yourself ingredients) as pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sure that you are right and that is (essentially) what they do serve on O - pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella and one meat or other ingredient.

My whole point of posting was that I don't want a traditional Neapolitan or Sicilian pizza - I prefer my own style. I like it without tomato sauce and with lots of meat & cheese - Paul's style :D. I am sure I am not alone in this.

Call it whatever you want but most Americans would still call it pizza. White pizzas (without tomato sauce) are very popular now - I was just a little ahead of time for that :)

FWIW - I spent 10+ years in NYC and LOVED the pizza there (in fact, pizza & pastrami are the ONLY things I miss about NY). Also, I've been to Italy many times and never cared for pizza there (though I am sure it is more "authentic") - much prefer "American" style pizza.

To each their own :D

Edited by Paulchili

I really can not see a free for all, after all it's washing cloths, rather you use the ship laundry or do your own. Why have to go to the hassle of getting tokens?

I really can not see a free for all, after all it's washing cloths, rather you use the ship laundry or do your own. Why have to go to the hassle of getting tokens?

I have read there are many problems on the R-ships in the laundry room ...fights etc...

I have not experienced this but it seems to happen

It is not a big deal for me to go & get a few tokens we usually pass by reception a few times during the cruise ;)

Maybe they could charge for the specialty restaurants then they could include free laundry & cheap drinks

OH wait ..then it would like Azamara :)

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

There have been many "free for alls" (more like individual arguments & fights) in the history of cruising in the laundry rooms of most cruise lines, I am sure. I have seen people being taken off the ship for a fight in the laundry (on a Cunard).

Edited by Paulchili

There have been many "free for alls" (more like individual arguments & fights) in the history of cruising in the laundry rooms of most cruise lines, I am sure. I have seen people being taken off the ship for a fight in the laundry (on a Cunard).

I believe Crystal and Azamara have free laundry rooms. I have never heard of free for alls in these rooms, if 2$ tokens stop all these fights I guess going to the front desk to buy them helps people get rid of their aggression. If you are afraid to go the the laundry room do as I do, use the ships laundry however it does cost!!

Edited by hypercafe

I believe Crystal and Azamara have free laundry rooms. I have never heard of free for alls in these rooms, if 2$ tokens stop all these fights I guess going to the front desk to buy them helps people get rid of their aggression.

I don't know if it is the $2 fee that stops these fights.

They are usually over "who is next" or "why did you remove my clothes from the washer/dryer" or someone leaving their clothes in washer/dryer for 30 minutes+ after they are done while others are waiting to do theirs.

All it takes to get along in the laundry room is common courtesy and respecting each other - like you would do anywhere else.

I don't know if it is the $2 fee that stops these fights.

They are usually over "who is next" or "why did you remove my clothes from the washer/dryer" or someone leaving their clothes in washer/dryer for 30 minutes+ after they are done while others are waiting to do theirs.

All it takes to get along in the laundry room is common courtesy and respecting each other - like you would do anywhere else.

Agree. I have seen some pushback when someone divides their wash into 4 loads and hogs all the equipment when there are people waiting. You just have to ignore folks who are discourteous.

Has nothing to do with charging $2. And it's not about any inconvenience in getting tokens. That is not big deal. I just think charging the $2 is"small" and not in keeping with the Oceania experience.

2. Enclose the smoking section in Horizons totally - smoke wafts out, especially in the smaller ships.

I grant thy wish ---

"Horizons, the line’s observation lounge, will also be refurbished with a new color scheme and décor. In addition, the company will completely enclose the ships’ only indoor smoking area, located in Horizons, with glass and install a state-of-the-art air filtration system"

http://cruiseradio.net/three-oceania-ships-to-undergo-refurb-in-2014/

Edited by PaulMCO

I grant thy wish ---

"Horizons, the line’s observation lounge, will also be refurbished with a new color scheme and décor. In addition, the company will completely enclose the ships’ only indoor smoking area, located in Horizons, with glass and install a state-of-the-art air filtration system"

http://cruiseradio.net/three-oceania-ships-to-undergo-refurb-in-2014/

It sounds like the smaller ships will be looking like the Riviera and Marina. We could not smell smoke in Horizons (although some people near the area say they could). I suppose the doors open into Horizons so smoke could waft out.

It sounds like the smaller ships will be looking like the Riviera and Marina. We could not smell smoke in Horizons (although some people near the area say they could). I suppose the doors open into Horizons so smoke could waft out.

We could lock all the smoker's in there and throw away the key.

But that would be for another thread. :D

or we could lock them in the Laundry room and see if there are still fights to use the laundry....

We could lock all the smoker's in there and throw away the key.

But that would be for another thread. :D

or we could lock them in the Laundry room and see if there are still fights to use the laundry....

LIKE button

1. Later departures from ports.

2. Higher end cheaper shore excursions - paying more for same excursion offered on other lines.

3. A deck party. I didn't really have "fun" on Oceania. Everything was perfect, white bread, but no real fun.

My perfect cruise line:

1. Oceania's food and rooms (beautiful).

2. Azamara's port calls, staff, deck parties and ship size.

3. Seabourn's shore excursions.

I want Oceania to be Oceania. Not Azamara. Not Carnival or Disney. Not even Crystal or Celebrity. Not even Regent. Nor Doubletree. My library quibble was minor. I LIKE O and just wish I could go more often. Please, no loud parties or major changes in the demographic.

I will bow out of the discussion.

I want Oceania to be Oceania. Not Azamara. Not Carnival or Disney. Not even Crystal or Celebrity. Not even Regent. Nor Doubletree. My library quibble was minor. I LIKE O and just wish I could go more often. Please, no loud parties or major changes in the demographic.

+1, very well said-

I will bow out of the discussion.

+ 1

I am with you on all counts ;)