Please be careful...debit fraud

luv2cruzfrmco

ouch! Thank goodness my credit union keeps a watch on my card and when 2 charges were made out of state they canceled it pronto. Took 5 days to get a new card, charges were never taken out of my acct balance. They even called me when I made a charge to PetShed for my dogs heartworm stuff since it was an Australian company.

Call your credit union [or bank if you must use one] and let them know when you travel or go out of town and are not available for them to confirm unusual charges.

Did you use your card on the way to the airport locally? Taxi, parking, food before you left? It most likely got skimmed right before you left your own city. You're a good target if they think you won't have access to your email or banking online for a few days.

My husbands card has been compromised twice now. He no longer uses it for late night fast food purchases. We suspect that's where his got skimmed.

I did not use my card from the time I left home.

I did not use my card from the time I left home.

Like others have said it was probably skimmed in your home town

Did you shop at Target?? maybe it was part of those cards that were compromised

We had this happen at home. Last year someone installed skimmers at gas stations. After a good portion of my friends were hit by this I am pretty careful when going to ATM's, gas stations etc. I "jiggle" where you insert your card. Lots of times they install the readers right over the CC slots.

Just be careful. We're using mainly a CC now instead of a debit card for everything.

:confused: What do you mean you 'jiggle'? How?

The same as a cheque, for those of us in other parts of the world

Sure, a cheque is less risk for you, but significantly more risk for the receiver, which is why more and more places are refusing to accept cheques, and I don't blame them. I use some cheques for small solo businesses-people with whom I have an established relationship (like my massage therapist), but I can't think of a single retail business I know of that still accepts cheques. I know if I opened my own business I would not accept any cheques - cash, debit, or credit cards only. The risk of accepting cheques (NSF) is too high.

All the major grocery stores in my area accept checks if you have the store issued ID card. I've had those cards for 20+ years and never have an issue paying for my groceries with a check.

My hair salon, pharmacy, hardware store, WalMart etc all accept checks for payment.

I won't have a debit card.

Edited by sail7seas

All the major grocery stores in my area accept checks if you have the store issued ID card. I've had those cards for 20+ years and never have an issue paying for my groceries with a check.

Not many countries outside of your own will accept cheques theses days

I don't think any merchant in any country not using the US dollar (and isn't that every country outside of our own?) EVER accepted US dollar checks.

Exactly

since this is about cruising to other Countries people may want to have a back up plan

Debit card credit card cash

We are business owners so we have gotten stolen cards..and as consumer we have had our cards stolen..

Just a few things to help prevent it,

ALL credit cards have alerts that you can set. Ours are set so no outside charges from other countries is allowed (we change this and set vacation plans when we do leave the country)

Our debit card for both the business and personal also comes with alerts. I have so many set up. from no charges over 500.00 on the personal account, (they will be declined) to no foreign transactions. Also I am emailed for every thing. Most banks will also monitor these for you all you have to do is sign into your account and set it up.

Scammers online - when you are buying online make sure it is a reputable company, that they have a name, number and email address that you can use.

Make sure an online company is PCI compliant

Make sure they are on an encrypted site .

Scammers - We have taken courses in this (ya really) did you know that a GOOD thief can take that slip of paper you tossed out from the grocery store that shows the last four digits of you cc card..and poof they are on the way to steal your info? they have the last four digits, AND most likely the zip code (common sense there) and SOME receipts even show your name...Never toss out receipts...bring them home and shred them

Shredding --- shred everything that is personal, for us it is now just routine and should be for everyone. you can buy a decent shredder at Targets for about 40 bucks.

Folks ----- 1234 or 867-5309 is NOT a good password. You might think it is..but its not.

Facebook - please change your hometown to Antartica, and your birth date to 1901 or better yet set you settings and privacy SO high that only your friends can see it and not everyone! (go to the top and click on the little icon then click on privacy and follow the instructions)

Having your identity stolen stinks and you cant prevent all of it (look at Targets last Dec) but you can become less of a victim by using common sense. When we were young we were always told to pay attention to your surroundings, stay in lighted parking lots, walk with friends, well today we still do that but add in the above mentioned tips.

Hope it helps someone!

Scammers online - when you are buying online make sure it is a reputable company, that they have a name, number and email address that you can use.

Make sure an online company is PCI compliant

Make sure they are on an encrypted site .

My bank offers something called ShopSafe. With it I can set up a temporary credit card number that is associated with my real account. If I make an online or telephone purchase, I first go to my bank's website and request a new number. I set the maximum amount that can be charged - typically $5 more than the total cost - and the date that it expires - the minimum is 2 months, which is what I usually set it for.

If that credit card number gets stolen, the thief will only be able to charge a couple of dollars before it maxes out. It will be more trouble for him to find something he can buy with the small available balance than his time is worth.

Your bank may have a similar security option available to you.

It's more likely it was skimmed a couple of months ago, rather than just before purchases were made on it. They often run a small purchase through first, to check it's working.

THIS! My debit card was caught in Florida the night before Thanksgiving. I remembered a couple of months before I had 2 $1 charges on the card. Sometimes a charge like that will show up when you register with e-bay/paypal that sort of thing and I guess I disregarded it. But that was apparently the charge that tested my card. I am much more vigilant about checking my debit card online regularly.

Several years ago BofA called me because someone was trying to use my card in South Africa. They wanted to know if I'd been there. Uh..NO!! Someone had tried to check my balance with the card 3 times but kept entering the wrong pin. I was dumbfounded and asked how someone could have gotten my card number. They said not to try to figure it out because it could have been anywhere. Moral to the story -- it can happen to anyone anytime you swipe your card. Thieves can be very good at their craft.

I opened a separate checking account with my bank that is used just for travel, and have a debit card that is tied to only that account. I only put about $1000 or so in that account when I am going to be traveling outside the USA, so that reduces the amount that would be accessible to fraud or a thief. That also prevents them from accessing my other banking accounts, because they are not connected to the travel account.