New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

My eyes are blurry from studying the deck plans! Have I missed the chatter about what the extra specialty restaurant space is on deck 2 and Grand Dutch Cafe on deck 3? Can we also get three cheers for Gelato on the Lido?!?!

We were talking about the specialty restaurant a few pages back. I am also incredibly interested in the Grand Dutch Cafe. I hope it's similar to Princess' International Cafe but featuring Dutch goodies.

We just received an email regarding the new ship that is very nice and informative, also includes some of the first sailings in the Med. but I noticed one thing when looking at the stateroom layout for the Verandah, Vista, Signature, etc. It seems the the large TV built in the bulkhead(wall for land lubbers) is above the couch area. To watch the TV you have to lay in the bed???? Is this just my observation or am I incorrect?

The other thing I noticed is the difference between the Verandah and Vista suites? It appears that the Verandah is longer and narrower than the Vista?

Other than that I think the layout and color schemes are really nice and bright.

"Chilly" sounds perfect to me. I can dress for the colder weather, compared to the brutal heat of summer. And we know there won't be crowds of tourists.

It's the fact that these are first cruises that could discourage me. I was on the inaugural of the E-dam, and vowed never again. I had a blast with my friends, and the itinerary was great. But shipboard? Awful. It was just not up to HAL standards.

I agree about the TV's being only viewable from the bed. While it is nice to have it off the counter tops, which have shrunk, it would be nice to be able to view from couch.

But I do think the new decorating stunning and the layout for the Neptunes is good especially if there are two entrances to bathroom..... one to toilet area and one to shower/sinks.

I would expect that is who they would be trying to attract. We in the senior set may be their past and present but we are not their future. We may book cruises this year, next year and for many, lots of years to come but reality is the 40 and 50 somethings in usual circumstances would have lots more years of travel.

The downside to that set is COLLEGE tuitions. The senior have educated their kids, funded weddings, helped with the kids house downpayments (in some cases), have planned our retirements and have the time and cash,,,,,, now.

Ah but if they can lock in the 40's and 50's now with the occasional cruise they have them after the kids are out of the nest completely

"Chilly" sounds perfect to me. I can dress for the colder weather, compared to the brutal heat of summer. And we know there won't be crowds of tourists.

It's the fact that these are first cruises that could discourage me. I was on the inaugural of the E-dam, and vowed never again. I had a blast with my friends, and the itinerary was great. But shipboard? Awful. It was just not up to HAL standards.

While the cruises look very tempting, we were with Ruth on the Eurodam Inaugural. We expected issues with the ship being new. What we didn't expect was to be treated as 'inconveniences". We (the passengers who paid a hefty premium) were definitely were in the way of the invited guests. We don't expect to do another.

We were talking about the specialty restaurant a few pages back. I am also incredibly interested in the Grand Dutch Cafe. I hope it's similar to Princess' International Cafe but featuring Dutch goodies.

The image of the top level of the atrium faces Guest Relations so the blue chairs are part of the Grand Dutch Cafe. Wonder if that bright royal blue means it's gonna be a delft color scheme and/or theme?

We have set up a new roll call forum for the Koningsdam so that when the first CC member books space on the new ship, (s)he can post the first roll call for the new ship.

Koningsdam Roll Calls

Question for you Walt. If there's a 7 night and a 19 night that both leave on 2/20/16 and the one listed is, from the name of the voyage, the 19 night... is it proper to make a new thread for the 7 day?

I agree about the TV's being only viewable from the bed. While it is nice to have it off the counter tops, which have shrunk, it would be nice to be able to view from couch..

I do tend to agree with that. In the Neptune luckily there are a number of chairs that look comfortable and will still work but additional chairs are at a minimum in the Signature Suite and the couch is basically in a separate room for the Vista Suite. Unless those TV's come out of the wall and can be angled on a wall mount it won't work well at all in a Vista. And regardless of a wall mount that comes out or not that wouldn't provide viewing from the couch still.

Ah but if they can lock in the 40's and 50's now with the occasional cruise they have them after the kids are out of the nest completely

That's a maybe. :)

If there is a break in the ability or desire to cruise of four or so years, who is to say something new won't catch their eye. Loyalty can easily fade in that time span. There are so many variables, I concede it is impossible to predict what could be the most loyal base for HAL in the coming decade. HAL has many more facts and data than we can imagine and they likely keep their fingers crossed a bit. :D

Given the state of the world at this moment in time........ Who of us has a clue what is coming next?

Edited by sail7seas

Given the state of the world at this moment in time........ Who of us has a clue what is coming next?

Call HAL and book yourself on board for the World Cruise next month... in Penthouse... put it on your credit card. Worry about in April. If the world is ending... Oops!!! ;)

Call HAL and book yourself on board for the World Cruise next month... in Penthouse... put it on your credit card. Worry about in April. If the world is ending... Oops!!! ;)

Of course... still gotta have a quarter million bucks in available credit... But no big deal... the 1% will absolutely love that beautiful Pinnacle Suite :D

Of course... still gotta have a quarter million bucks in available credit... But no big deal... the 1% will absolutely love that beautiful Pinnacle Suite :D

Nope, :D :D Not me.

I'm not hot to do World Cruise. Much as I love the ships and cruising, you won't find me on a World Cruise. :o

And the Penthouse? Me? Alone? Definitely Not!! :) DH and I wouldn't have done that together.

Edited by sail7seas

Question for you Walt. If there's a 7 night and a 19 night that both leave on 2/20/16 and the one listed is, from the name of the voyage, the 19 night... is it proper to make a new thread for the 7 day?

Yes. In fact the strongly suggested standard (not a rigid rule) is that the 7 day and the 12 day segments be separate roll calls.

Please see this post: Roll Calls for Multi-Segment Cruises

I see the tv in front of the bed in those rooms and a picture over the couch?

no cruise line will take you into a port that is unsafe - Istanbul & Kusadasi will be fine I am sure

If you have not been to Ephesus before - you need to see it - fabulous!

best

Patrice

Edited by ptsaint