What is the best ship?

ragethjj23

Regardless of line, what ship was the best you have been on and why? My wife and I will be going on our first cruise with carnival on the valor. We choose this cruise for its itinerary (San juan, st. Thomas, st kitts, barbados, st lucia, st. Maarten) and want our next to be more because of the ship. Thanks!

Very subjective and personal. If you get 20 responses, you're going to have a list of 20 different ships! But it will be interesting to see why folks chose the ship they did.

Edited by marco

Regardless of line, what ship was the best you have been on and why? My wife and I will be going on our first cruise with carnival on the valor. We choose this cruise for its itinerary (San juan, st. Thomas, st kitts, barbados, st lucia, st. Maarten) and want our next to be more because of the ship. Thanks!

The one that I'm on at that time! :p

We have sailed 5 times on RCL Voyager class. Our favorite so far has been on Mariner, great ship, best crew, always had great fellow passengers. We now have 2 cruises booked on Allure for 2015 including the 12 night TA, maybe that will become our favorite.. happy cruising

Interesting comments. So here is something to ponder. Look at the ultra-luxury lines (Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, Regent, etc) and you will quickly notice they have something in common. None of those lines have large mega ships. In fact, most of their ships only carry a few hundred passengers. Then you can look at a line like HAL which has many different size ships, and the ship they own that has the highest percentage of repeaters (and the highest prices) is their smallest and oldest ship (Prinsendam). Two of the Allure lifeboats could hold all the passengers on the Prinsendam!

So. getting back to the topic, why would you think that folks are willing to pay very high prices (sometimes more then $1000 per passenger day) for a small ship? One could objectively argue that the "best ship" is the one that can demand the highest prices and still get 100% occupancy.

Those luxurious small ships are small because they have a small clientele who can afford them.

My favorites have all been Voyager class, the biggest I have been on so far. Voyager, Navigator, Adventurer of the Seas. All very close in layout, but the Navigator edged out the others slightly for the crew and atmosphere on the cruise I was on. Of course, crew and atmosphere are subject to change each cruise.

Edited by jamessemaj

I have only done 4 cruises on 4 ships, but this is my opinion:

Most beautiful - Disney Dream

Most fun - Liberty of the Seas

The one that gives me the strongest feeling of being on a cruise ship - HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

This is such a funny and endearing question! You have not yet cruised -- you don't yet know that your cruise will not turn out to be "all about the ship!" You may love Valor and never be tempted to sail on any other ship! Just wait, and after you've sailed, think about what you did and didn't like about the ship itself (if you find anything you didn't like) and then you'll know more what you are looking for, and even whether your next cruise truly should be "all about the ship."

I remember before our first cruise, I was poring over photos of ships (interior and exterior), thinking that how the ship looked -- what color the upholstery was, what kind of artwork was to be found, how the bow was shaped (believe it or not, I thought this would actually be important to me!) -- would influence my enjoyment of my cruise. I do not deny that these aspects are somewhat important -- a spectacularly beautiful atrium is a spectacularly beautiful atrium, after all. But in the end, I have realized that it is ambiance, service, passenger mix, and many other factors that make the greatest difference to me.

But don't think that the itinerary will not influence your feelings about the ship you experienced them on! It can make a difference. I have a fondness for particular ships not only because of the ship itself, but because of the places it took me! I have never been taken anywhere except Nassau by more than one ship, so my feelings about the ships I've sailed on are interconnected with the ports I associate them with.

And no matter how many other ships you try, you will probably have a fondness for Valor because it was your first ship! (It's a little like your first kiss...)

Yes we haven't been our first cruise but we still wanna plan our next :) did you have any suggestions of good ships?

This is such a funny and endearing question! You have not yet cruised -- you don't yet know that your cruise will not turn out to be "all about the ship!" You may love Valor and never be tempted to sail on any other ship! Just wait, and after you've sailed, think about what you did and didn't like about the ship itself (if you find anything you didn't like) and then you'll know more what you are looking for, and even whether your next cruise truly should be "all about the ship."

I remember before our first cruise, I was poring over photos of ships (interior and exterior), thinking that how the ship looked -- what color the upholstery was, what kind of artwork was to be found, how the bow was shaped (believe it or not, I thought this would actually be important to me!) -- would influence my enjoyment of my cruise. I do not deny that these aspects are somewhat important -- a spectacularly beautiful atrium is a spectacularly beautiful atrium, after all. But in the end, I have realized that it is ambiance, service, passenger mix, and many other factors that make the greatest difference to me.

But don't think that the itinerary will not influence your feelings about the ship you experienced them on! It can make a difference. I have a fondness for particular ships not only because of the ship itself, but because of the places it took me! I have never been taken anywhere except Nassau by more than one ship, so my feelings about the ships I've sailed on are interconnected with the ports I associate them with.

And no matter how many other ships you try, you will probably have a fondness for Valor because it was your first ship! (It's a little like your first kiss...)

Who makes the best automobile? Why?

Which hamburger tastes better; McDonalds or Burger King? Why?

Which is better; Coke or Pepsi? Why?

Who was funnier; Shields or Yarnell? Why?

Like the OP's question, these are all interesting queries that would receive a wide range of answers.

Unfortunately all those answers would be useless.

As is your reply. I'm simply asking what more experienced cruisers felt was the best ship that they have been on and why they felt that way. I never said I would choose based on the best response, but I will look into those ships recommended. I was already looking into the allure of the seas and it getting positive feedback is great. I appreciate all the helpful responses.

Allure, Oasis? Just experienced being in port with one of those behemoths. Not a pleasant experience! Just think about 6000 plus passengers disembarking from only one ship in a given port. What challenges does that cause for a ship that only has about 2000 passengers in port at the same time? Think about it! I will hopefully not have this experience again.

That's something like asking, "What's the best restaurant?" Preferences and tastes vary so much that one person's idea of the best ship would be the cruise from hell for another.

Enjoy your first cruise. Once you get your first experience that will be a good starting point to learn what you like and don't like in a ship.

Interesting comments. So here is something to ponder. Look at the ultra-luxury lines (Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, Regent, etc) and you will quickly notice they have something in common. None of those lines have large mega ships. In fact, most of their ships only carry a few hundred passengers. Then you can look at a line like HAL which has many different size ships, and the ship they own that has the highest percentage of repeaters (and the highest prices) is their smallest and oldest ship (Prinsendam). Two of the Allure lifeboats could hold all the passengers on the Prinsendam!

So. getting back to the topic, why would you think that folks are willing to pay very high prices (sometimes more then $1000 per passenger day) for a small ship? One could objectively argue that the "best ship" is the one that can demand the highest prices and still get 100% occupancy.

Not sure that "most expensive" necessarily equals "the best" in terms of what someone looks for in a cruise. Not everyone - based on the very description you offer - can afford, or wants to spend the most money on a cruise, nor looks for the type experience offered by the more exclusive and often smaller ship lines.

"Best" to many people is defined as what is provided to meet their particular expectations and budget for their cruise. And, judging by the fact that most of the cruise lines you describe are smaller and with smaller ships, these lines cater to the minority of the cruising public. The vast majority of cruisers apparently find their "best" ship in the majority of the other lines, whose success is built on the experience they provide.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi,

Doesn't seem like a difficult question to answer...here's mine...so far, Celebrity Eclipse...liked the size; liked the staff and wonderful service; loved the Molecular Bar; like the smoking policy; sailed on it shortly after its inauguration, and have found I like "newer"; loved the aft/stern cabin and views; loved the Gym; loved the itinerary; enjoyed the food; loved the Coffee shop.

Enjoy your first cruise, and enjoy finding your favorite !

Woody

Should I have asked what was the best ship you were on and why? OBVIOUSLY everyone has an opinion and I am just looking for ideas.

OP, I thought you asked a simple, easy-to-understand and straight-forward question, and I thought I have responded to your question to the best of my ability, although I have to also admit that technically I didn't really say what I consider "the best" for me. :p

Just be aware that cruise critic have many sophisticated cruisers, industry experts, travel agents, employees and senior executives of cruise lines, among others. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience on cruising, and on posting comments on cc. They may interpret a question in a different way than you and me.

Another suggestion - instead of asking "what is the best ...", maybe you can try "what is your favorite ..." instead, and then elaborate a bit more in your post why you are asking the question - just to give the reader a little bit more context.

All of the above are just my opinion and anyone are more than welcomed to disagree :).

Should I have asked what was the best ship you were on and why? OBVIOUSLY everyone has an opinion and I am just looking for ideas.

That's what you did ask, but maybe the proviso that you had booked Carnival based on itinerary and want opinions on just a cruise for the ship confused some people? You will find a lot of that on CC. Just ignore the extraneous balderdash and pay attention to those who respond to your question.

We live in a very small town, and we don't want to sail on a ship that has more people than our town. Those behemoths like Allure, Oasis and Epic are just too crowded for our tastes.

If you want "Best", most would tell you to look at the luxury lines. But I have to be honest in saying that the mass market lines are more alike than different. With all the budget cuts across the board, about the only difference is the size of the ships. Yes, some ships offer different things like rock climbing and flow riders (to us, those things really aren't a part of the cruise experience), but in overall terms of food and service, cruise lines really are more alike than different. In days past, you might have been able to pigeon hole all cruise lines---Fun Ships, retiree ships, ships that cater to Europeans, upscale ships---but cruise lines have become so alike (it's like they don't want to be really different and set themselves apart from the others), that if you find one line you're happy with, then stick with that line and enjoy.

Yes we haven't been our first cruise but we still wanna plan our next :) did you have any suggestions of good ships?

Only if you can suggest what it is you are looking for. We liked Celebrity Infinity, Carnival Fascination, HAL Zuiderdam, all for different personal reasons. We disliked Caribbean Princess for personal reasons. We sailed on the ships we liked 8, 5, and 3 years ago, respectively, and before at least one of them (Fascination) was stretched and changed via the "Evolutions of Fun" upgrade. We cannot say what any of these ships is like now, nor whether we would recommend them. In general, we prefer a ship of around 2000 pax.

I guess that is the point I was making -- hard to recommend unless I know what the parameters are. Sorry -- didn't mean to be difficult.