ATM cards for Euros

DRS/NC

I've been reading the various threads about Euros & ATM cards.

I'm still ignorant about a basic: is the ATM card you use to get euros in a airport/European machine the same one I use at an ATM here at home from my bank? Or is it some kind of international ATM card?

In years past (long past), I used traveler's checks & got them changed on the ship to dollars & used credit cards in ports. Last year, I used credit cards in ports (Norway, Ireland & Scotland). My friend used her euros once.

This summer, my cruise will begin in Holland; ports include UK, Ireland & France. I plan to use credit cards whenever possible, but will need euros for 1-2 private excursions.

I plan to talk w/my bank about euros & pounds, ATM, cash or debit cards.

Thanks for advice!

It is the same card as you use at home. Just make sure your bank knows you are out of the country.

No reason to talk to your bank about Pounds and Euros. Those other threads you have been reading are universally recommending using ATMs in country.

Edited by CruiserBruce

ATM cards are safer than debit cards, make sure your ATM card is cash only, no purchases, so nobody can use it without a pin.

ATM cards have symbols like "Cirrus" - may be on the other side of the card, you need to make sure the ATM has the same symbols.

Use the same caution you'd use at home while using the card - make sure nobody gets close to you.

Before leaving on vacation call your bank, and don't just tell them you are going on vacation, tell them "make a note on my account". First time I called my ATM bank, whoever answered that 800 outsourced call didn't know how to make a note on account, and tried to convince me this is not needed. I had to call 3 times till I got the right person.

You said, you need cash for tours - find out what is your withdrawal limit, if this will be enough in Euro to cover the price.

I've used my debit card around the world with no issues getting the local currency. Europe, Africa, Asia, and more. So call you bank and let them know. Occasionally they'll still lock it. Happened to me recently and I had to call them from Brazil to open it up. But 9.75/10 times there are no problems.

I opened a separate bank account that I only use for travel ..different bank than my regular accounts

I only keep a small amount in there <$1000

I use the ATM/debit card to get more currency....most cards you cannot use at POS machines in other Countries eg: dept stores grocery stores

check with your provider

Sometimes the ATMs just won't work. Went to an ATM in Rome it said my card wasn't valid or authorized or something like that. Went to another one and it went thru just fine.

The first one either didn't have enough euros or couldn't get a connection.

Also in Europe the machines might not be called 'ATM'. In Italy it is called a 'Bancomat'.

I'm usually someplace in Europe or UK twice a year. Never had a problem using my ATM card abroad, both in countries that use the Euro and those that don't. Also, my experience is that ATM's are more abundant in Europe than here. There's one on practically every block. Seems there are as many ATM's in Europe as there are Dunkin' Donuts, here! LOL

I've been reading the various threads about Euros & ATM cards.

I'm still ignorant about a basic: is the ATM card you use to get euros in a airport/European machine the same one I use at an ATM here at home from my bank? Or is it some kind of international ATM card?

In years past (long past), I used traveler's checks & got them changed on the ship to dollars & used credit cards in ports. Last year, I used credit cards in ports (Norway, Ireland & Scotland). My friend used her euros once.

This summer, my cruise will begin in Holland; ports include UK, Ireland & France. I plan to use credit cards whenever possible, but will need euros for 1-2 private excursions.

I plan to talk w/my bank about euros & pounds, ATM, cash or debit cards.

Thanks for advice!

We use our regular ATM card no matter where we are. A warning on this.... make sure you have advised your bank/credit union the dates you will be traveling and the countries where you will be traveling.

On a two month trip to Europe our ATM card died on us when we were in Venice. A call to the credit union uncovered the reason, somehow their fraud department had an alert that we were in Venezuela which is one of a few countries that they have blocked. We now take debit cards from two different financial institutions.

It is also a good idea to call your credit card company and advise them where you will be traveling.

Thanks, Everyone! You've clarified a lot for me!

You may also want to check with your bank to see if they have "ATM alliance" partners in the countries you'll be visiting. If I use a partner bank's ATM whilst traveling abroad, I don't get hit with a foreign ATM fee (although I would still pay the percentage for currency conversion).