Sitka and Ketchican

SEAEDP

Just wondering if these two cities are walkable/explorable without buying a specified excursion?

I may get the zipline excursion in Ketchican, but Sitka seems like it is a charming, quaint little town that I could explore on my own.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Absolutely! Both Sitka and Ketchikan are very walkable.

Sitka in particular is a jewel, one of my all-time favorite AK ports (running neck and neck w/Homer and Kodiak!:D). Be sure to be up for sail in to Sitka - the Sound is dotted with tiny little islands, Mt. Edgecomb, a dormant volcano, looms across Sitka Sound, you will often see whales, sea otters or sea lions frolicking in the water during sail in. It is just magical.

Walk along the water front toward the Totem Park, stopping at the volunteer aquarium filled with brilliantly colored starfish that you can handle if you wish, visit the museum across the street, then walk along the shaded pathways of the Totem Park to see the amazing craftsmanship of the totems that are placed all along the paths. Walk thru the forest to the Raptor Center, I believe admission is $12 per person. See those majestic birds of prey up close and personal. Catch the bus back to town, visit the Russian church, shop in the local stores with pretty handmade crafts, have a reindeer sausage from the food cart at the corner by the traffic light, see the native dancers - oh, just soooo much to do and see in Sitka, for very little $$$. Enjoy!

Sitka in particular is a jewel, one of my all-time favorite AK ports (running neck and neck w/Homer and Kodiak!:D). Be sure to be up for sail in to Sitka - the Sound is dotted with tiny little islands, Mt. Edgecomb, a dormant volcano, looms across Sitka Sound, you will often see whales, sea otters or sea lions frolicking in the water during sail in. It is just magical.

Walk along the water front toward the Totem Park, stopping at the volunteer aquarium filled with brilliantly colored starfish that you can handle if you wish, visit the museum across the street, then walk along the shaded pathways of the Totem Park to see the amazing craftsmanship of the totems that are placed all along the paths. Walk thru the forest to the Raptor Center, I believe admission is $12 per person. See those majestic birds of prey up close and personal. Catch the bus back to town, visit the Russian church, shop in the local stores with pretty handmade crafts, have a reindeer sausage from the food cart at the corner by the traffic light, see the native dancers - oh, just soooo much to do and see in Sitka, for very little $$$. Enjoy!

Sounds amazing!! Thanks so much for the info. I'm very excited:D

We finally decided today to do the hot glass [??] excursion in Sitka - its the one thing my friend wanted to do there. Ketchikan we are leaving open to walk Creek Street and shop.

Thanks for the heads up to be awake for sailing into Sitka - I'm normally a late sleeper but will try to make an exception! Hopefully we'll have some free time to see some of the other things mentioned.

On my first Alaska cruise, I didn't book any official excursions and I had a great time!

Assateague Island Princess covered most of what I would have said about Sitka, but in addition, I also enjoyed going to the top of Castle Hill. It was right in town and easy to walk to. There are interpretive plaques at the top explaining the historical significance of the site, as well as wonderful views!

There is also a small grocery store about a block up hill (away from the water) where you can stock up on sodas for your cabin if you want. Or snacks. 'Cause you know there just isn't enough food on the ship ;). It wasn't hard to find - I think there was even a sign on the street with an arrow pointing the way.

I'm actually kind of sad my upcoming cruise isn't stopping in Sitka. I was looking forward to it on my last cruise but that port it was cancelled due to stormy weather.

As for Ketchikan, right off the docks there's a lot of shopping if you're into that. If you see coupon books in the port before departing, grab one (or two) and here's where you can go wild getting inexpensive trinkets for the folks back home. You have to look closely if you want authentic Alaska merchandise - a lot of the stuff's from China - but there are official symbols designating Alaska items and native-made items. Sometimes the coupons are good for some of those. But I picked up some very inexpensive calendars with nice Alaska photos on each month that I gave as gifts, and a free hat, and I think there was a free coffee mug (but most were chipped).

We walked around, poked around Creek Street (shopping, but some unique stores), rode the funicular up the hill to Cape Fox Lodge (it was $1 per person at the time), then walked down Married Man's Trail. On my itinerary we were only in Ketchikan from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., so time was limited. I hope this next time to get out to Totem Bight State Park and check out the totem poles. I''m not sure if it's still the case, but in the past you could take the city bus out there for something like a dollar.

If you really want to treat yourself, though, I highly recommend you contact Island Wings and enjoy a float plane flight through Misty Fjords National Park. It was breathtaking! Michelle and her staff were great!

Hope this helps!

While on a company project I lived for about 4 months during the summer in Ketchikan. I have never seen so much rain in my life. It would rain for 3 or 4 days straight without letup. Miserable weather, to say the least. Could not wait to get out of there and back to some sunshine. That is probably why I would never take an Alaskan cruise. :(

Sitka and Ketchikan are wonderful ports to walk around and see the sights.

Sitka -- this where you can buy Russian Matryoshka nesting dolls.

Ketchikan - the last few years HAL has limited the time you are here. Which is a shame as there is so much to see. Creek Street is great.

While on a company project I lived for about 4 months during the summer in Ketchikan. I have never seen so much rain in my life. It would rain for 3 or 4 days straight without letup. Miserable weather, to say the least. Could not wait to get out of there and back to some sunshine. That is probably why I would never take an Alaskan cruise. :(

I found it really funny - when I got off the ship in May 2010, when it was sunny and warm. so many locals kept saying to me "It's not normally like this. It's usually rainy" and things like that. I felt like we were really blessed.

Yep, funny.....We got off the ship in Ketchikan last June and it, too, was SUNNY and (relatively) warm. Right on the dock we were able to book a 1.5 hour float-plane trip to the Misty Fjords...!! WOW! we saw so much and landed on an isolated lake somewhere out there in the beautiful wilderness. Totally incredible!

We were on a round tripper, so were back the next week and took the city bus to Totem Bight Park......very easy and nice, and we walked around town as well.

Hey AIP - I totally agree with your comments. You must be getting excited about your cruise (again :D) to Alaska next month. Don't forget this Tuesday Season 10 of Deadliest Catch starts - 3 hours! Can't wait.

Hi Sue (waving:D!) - Actually here in the US, Deadliest Catch Season 10 started LAST week. Be sure to watch - it was a good one! Hoping to see the Time Bandit in Homer again, and maybe even one of the other boats - we missed the Cornelia Marie in Kodiak in 2010:(.

Now back to your regular programming.....

Both are walkable. It rains a lot in Ketchikan. The locals call it "Liquid sunshine."

In Sitka there is a drug store on the main drag with a soda counter. And the kid can make a chocolate soda the way they made it when I was a teenager.

We had blue skies in Sitka and Ketchikan; Juneau and Glacier Bay were cold and wet. You never know what you get.

We walked around Sitka to some of the places of interest already mentioned. In Ketchikan we did the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. Hokey but a lot of fun. Then we explored the town by foot (and funicular).