Power strips

"Fire hazards" Haha that's the silliest thing I have ever heard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Because of the way many marine power systems work there can be a danger. They should be unplugged when you aren't present.

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

I've seen some controversial topics about bringing a power strip on board.

There will be 3 people staying in my room and all women.

This will be my very first cruise and wanted to bring a power strip.

are they allowed? Not allowed?

Use a belkin power strip and no trouble.

Thanks. I'll have to add it to my "list" of items to purchase.

There are two versions that look identical. If you need to charge an iPad type device, get the higher rated 2.1 amp version.

This will be more for straighteners, curling irons, camera batteries.

Your dismissal of a power strip causing a fire as "ridiculous" is seriously worrying to a marine professional. Hopefully you looked at the USCG document linked above. The major source of home fires is overloaded circuits, primarily from using power strips to feed multiple appliances from one outlet. And if you are intending to use multiple high wattage heating appliances at the same time, you will most likely trip the circuit breaker for your cabin. Household bathroom circuits are 20 amp, by code, if in a newer house, but the one 110v outlet in the ship's cabin is 15 amps. So, the current available for your appliances is limited by the circuit breaker for the circuit, but some ships, the 110v circuit is shared between 2-3 cabins.

Any electrical appliance noted in luggage will generally be checked for condition, and if in poor condition, will not be allowed to be used.

I know that many bring the Belkin adapter, and that it gets through security more than others, since it does not have a cord, and doesn't look like a power strip. However, the Belkin does have a surge protector, and can be harmful to the ship and can cause problems as outlined by the USCG. Surge protectors are not required on ships.

Your hair appliances are far more of a fire hazard than anything else, but the cruise lines are smart enough to know that they can't ban them.

Edited by chengkp75

This will be more for straighteners, curling irons, camera batteries.

I'll defer to Bob, but I'm not sure what wattage that thing's rated for. It may not be a good choice for a heat producing appliance. Most strips like that are designed for electronics, so they'll do fine for battery chargers, phone chargers, etc., but they're generally not not rated for straighteners or curling irons.

There should be two standard 110V outlets near the mirror; I'd use those for the hair implements.

Oh, and using those implements on a surge protector, not leaving them unattended, is what concerns the cruise line for fires!

I have been on 12 cruises. Most of them RCI. I always pack in my checked bag a brand new in original package power strip. I have never had it confiscated.

The last ship we sailed on (Allure) had 2 plugs at the desk/vanity and one behind the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen some controversial topics about bringing a power strip on board.

There will be 3 people staying in my room and all women.

This will be my very first cruise and wanted to bring a power strip.

are they allowed? Not allowed?

I've brought an extention cord with a power strip every time and never had any issues. I've even left my hair dryer plugged into it when we went to dinner and the room attendant just put it on the table so he could vacumn

Edited by runner2013

We packed a standard 5 or 6 plug power strip in our luggage 2 weeks ago on the Freedom. No problems at all. It sat out on the desk plugged in all week with camera batteries and various electronic chargers plugged in all week without anyone ever saying boo to us.

Your dismissal of a power strip causing a fire as "ridiculous" is seriously worrying to a marine professional. Hopefully you looked at the USCG document linked above. The major source of home fires is overloaded circuits, primarily from using power strips to feed multiple appliances from one outlet. And if you are intending to use multiple high wattage heating appliances at the same time, you will most likely trip the circuit breaker for your cabin. Household bathroom circuits are 20 amp, by code, if in a newer house, but the one 110v outlet in the ship's cabin is 15 amps. So, the current available for your appliances is limited by the circuit breaker for the circuit, but some ships, the 110v circuit is shared between 2-3 cabins.

Any electrical appliance noted in luggage will generally be checked for condition, and if in poor condition, will not be allowed to be used.

I know that many bring the Belkin adapter, and that it gets through security more than others, since it does not have a cord, and doesn't look like a power strip. However, the Belkin does have a surge protector, and can be harmful to the ship and can cause problems as outlined by the USCG. Surge protectors are not required on ships.

Your hair appliances are far more of a fire hazard than anything else, but the cruise lines are smart enough to know that they can't ban them.

Last cruise we brought the Belkin plus a power strip. They said no problem with the Belkin but checked the power strip closely..I had read on CC that they needed to be new and UL approved..this one was both..they allowed it. Turns out we never used it anyway. We DID use the Belkin but only for one thing at a time.. I did not realize that it actually had a surge protector...just thought it was a convenient USB type charger...Thanks for the info. I will remember that next time.

My husband had his tiny Leatherman confiscated in one of the ports on our cruise last week (had no problem getting on board with it in FLL). Anyway, when he went to retrieve it as were debarking he commented on the large number of power strips (and irons) in the bin of confiscated items. That said, I had a garden variety extension cord in my checked luggage, that did not get confiscated.

Be careful with straighteners.

[ATTACH]310861[/ATTACH]

This was our bathroom counter from one that didn't turn off. In case of a shipboard fire, you can't just leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yikes did you leave that plugged in? Eeeek. I always unplug everything when I'm done using it.