Kids first cruise...eastern or western?

beckzay

My husband and I have cruise 4 times, our kids have never been. We're finally taking them next April and I think we've decided on the Victory but now we aren't sure which itinerary would be best for them for their first time. We've only sailed the E. Caribbean and Bahamas, we have no experience with the W. Caribbean. Our choices are:

Eastern...Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and a sea day

Western...sea day, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, sea day

Also, my kids have never been to the Caribbean at all, so is the Western Caribbean as beautiful? Oh, the "kids" will be 14 and two 21 yr olds :)

My husband and I have cruise 4 times, our kids have never been. We're finally taking them next April and I think we've decided on the Victory but now we aren't sure which itinerary would be best for them for their first time. We've only sailed the E. Caribbean and Bahamas, we have no experience with the W. Caribbean. Our choices are:

Eastern...Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and a sea day

Western...sea day, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, sea day

Also, my kids have never been to the Caribbean at all, so is the Western Caribbean as beautiful? Oh, the "kids" will be 14 and two 21 yr olds :)

I would personally rather do the Western iterary out of these 2 with kids those ages. Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk are really more beach trips and I personally don't care if we ever stop at Nassau again. Jamaica you could go to Dunns River Falls or Mystic Mountain with the Jamaican Bobsled and Ziplines. The Sting Rays are a must on Grand Cayman.

You know my gd loved all three of the cruises she went on. I think it was the other children, the friendly cruise, oh yeah she had a crush on the piano player. She enjoyed the ship just as much as the islands.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My kids prefer the Eastern. Depends on any excursions you are/are not planning. Kids love Atlantis in Nassau, cabana/villa at HMC makes an awesome beach day and they always enjoy the large pool in Grand Turk.

What are you looking to do in port.

If it's beach time choose eastern.

If you want to do more adventurous do western and go tubing in Jamaica and hike the waterfall.

Grand cayman has good snorkeling and great beaches. But since it is a tender port you run the possibility of not stopping if the weather doesn't cooperate. We missed it on our last cruise. But went the other 2 times

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My kids prefer the Eastern. Depends on any excursions you are/are not planning. Kids love Atlantis in Nassau, cabana/villa at HMC makes an awesome beach day and they always enjoy the large pool in Grand Turk.

We would be completely happy with spending time just spending some family time at some beaches, snorkeling and touring some ports on our own. Excursions can get pretty pricey for a family of 5! I think I'm leaning more towards the Eastern, even though Jamaica and Grand Cayman seem fun too! I'm just thinking, cost wise, we should do the eastern.

Maybe do western since you have only done eastern before. I tell people that you can typically do the same things anyplace, but generally western places are bigger and therefore have more options. BUT I'll say again, you will find plenty to do either place but maybe go western just because it will be new for all of you. And yes, you will find the same beauty everywhere.

We would be completely happy with spending time just spending some family time at some beaches, snorkeling and touring some ports on our own. Excursions can get pretty pricey for a family of 5! I think I'm leaning more towards the Eastern, even though Jamaica and Grand Cayman seem fun too! I'm just thinking, cost wise, we should do the eastern.

Jamaica remains my favorite port that we visited with Belize a close second, but of all the ports you mentioned, I would not recommend Jamaica or Belize as a "do it on your own" place, especially on the first time. Having a guide is what made these our favorite ports.

Also, with the Western there are 2 sea days. I'm concerned that on the Victory my kids might not find enough to do. I don't know...probably just overthinking it again :) really, any ship and any itinerary would be fine, it's a vacation!!!!

Oops, just realized when I access the boards from my phone I have a different username. Not sure how that happened, but my username on this post should be beckzay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Twinsplus1

You might consider that Grand Cayman is a tender port, so if you miss that port, then your cruise would be Jamaica only. I've done both the eastern and western cruises with my kids and I'd choose the eastern. Half Moon Cay is a tender port too, but you'd still have 2 other ports if you missed it.

I prefer eastern, but your kids would probably have more fun on the western. You cannot go wrong with Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica, then Stingray City in Grand Cayman.

My vote! For what it's worth. With kids, they will so get into the stingray city.