Questions about Sabor on Navigator.

I'm trying to find reviews or opinions on the new restaurant Sabor on the Navigator. I'm thinking about reserving a night for dinner. For those who've been there, what did you think about the food, service and atmosphere? :)

We ate at Sabor while we on the 4/6 Sailing...it was so delicious - be sure to go in there hungry. The table side Guacamole is absolutely the best I have had (you choose the amount of spice - we went with medium) Their pico and chips are so fresh and flavorful. We really loved the appetizer choices, and the entrees were too big for us to finish. Then ... After all that deliciousness - they bring out a desert tray containing lots of goodies (we could only 1 bite sample each one - or we might have popped)!!!!

I really really really wish this Sabor choice was on EVERY Royal ship.

I would gladly trade every Rita's Cantina in on this, instead. I don't see how you could be disappointed - except with how tight your clothes fit - while you are walking / rolling out. Just gave us more reason to walk around the ship.

We ate at Sabor while we on the 4/6 Sailing...it was so delicious - be sure to go in there hungry. The table side Guacamole is absolutely the best I have had (you choose the amount of spice - we went with medium) Their pico and chips are so fresh and flavorful. We really loved the appetizer choices, and the entrees were too big for us to finish. Then ... After all that deliciousness - they bring out a desert tray containing lots of goodies (we could only 1 bite sample each one - or we might have popped)!!!!

I really really really wish this Sabor choice was on EVERY Royal ship.

I would gladly trade every Rita's Cantina in on this, instead. I don't see how you could be disappointed - except with how tight your clothes fit - while you are walking / rolling out. Just gave us more reason to walk around the ship.

Thank you! It sounds WONDERFUL!! I'm a Texan and I LOVE fresh guacamole! :D:D:D

Edited by Ladysilver

As long as you go in with no expectations of what you're used to here in Texas you'll be O.K.

Tex Mex it is not! And the Margaritas and Sangria were nasty in our opinion.

As said, my faves were the excellent guacamole and the desserts...yummy. Ours was the maiden voyage for Sabor's just after refit and they were having service issues but apparently they are all ironed out now.

We had a very attentive server, name Luis. (Sorry I don't remember his last name) but he was so nice and helpful.

We also paid for the table side margaritas that were nicely anointed with tequila.

I loved the pico so much - that I stirred it into my rice and beans too.

DH didn't because he was expecting TEX MEX, which as said above, it is not. The atmosphere reminded me of a restaurant we used to go to in Cancun, great music and atmosphere. The guacamole is excellent, the snapper was great. Have you checked out the menu online? That might help you. I've been told the cucumber/jalapeno margarita was outstanding...don't know if I could do that. It was a very nice experience. Much better than Chop's, but we also enjoy Giovanni's.

Have a great trip. The ship looks like brand new, we were onboard for two weeks February 23rd, and we're gong back on Sunday.

DH didn't because he was expecting TEX MEX, which as said above, it is not. The atmosphere reminded me of a restaurant we used to go to in Cancun, great music and atmosphere. The guacamole is excellent, the snapper was great. Have you checked out the menu online? That might help you. I've been told the cucumber/jalapeno margarita was outstanding...don't know if I could do that. It was a very nice experience. Much better than Chop's, but we also enjoy Giovanni's.

Have a great trip. The ship looks like brand new, we were onboard for two weeks February 23rd, and we're gong back on Sunday.

Thanks! We are big Tex-Mex fans but are open to trying something "different." We've done Chops (excellent) and Portifino's (not impressed) on our last cruise. We're super excited and counting down the days! :D

As long as you go in with no expectations of what you're used to here in Texas you'll be O.K.

Tex Mex it is not! And the Margaritas and Sangria were nasty in our opinion.

As said, my faves were the excellent guacamole and the desserts...yummy. Ours was the maiden voyage for Sabor's just after refit and they were having service issues but apparently they are all ironed out now.

I dont understand why you think it would be Tex Mex? RCI describes it as modern Mexican cuisine on the site. Thats like going to a Chinese restaurant and saying it wasnt Thai food. Havent been on the NOS or to Sabor, so maybe im just missing something.

Maybe its not Tex Mex because its modern Mexican cuisine.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

Even though I live in TX I hate TexMex and love Mexican food. But to be fair, the Navigator (the only ship with the trial run of Sabor) sails out of Galveston, and is probably 50-80% booked by Texan cruisers. To think that a ship full out Texans, sailing out of Galveston, Texas would feature TexMex is not that big of a stretch. Luckily for me it isn't TexMex, but I was reluctant to book it, thinking it might be.

I dont understand why you think it would be Tex Mex? RCI describes it as modern Mexican cuisine on the site. Thats like going to a Chinese restaurant and saying it wasnt Thai food. Havent been on the NOS or to Sabor, so maybe im just missing something.

Maybe its not Tex Mex because its modern Mexican cuisine.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

I didn't think it would be Tex Mex, I said that in the first sentence..duh

Even though I live in TX I hate TexMex and love Mexican food. But to be fair, the Navigator (the only ship with the trial run of Sabor) sails out of Galveston, and is probably 50-80% booked by Texan cruisers. To think that a ship full out Texans, sailing out of Galveston, Texas would feature TexMex is not that big of a stretch. Luckily for me it isn't TexMex, but I was reluctant to book it, thinking it might be.

I agree, I like Mexican, not Tex Mex.. and I live in Texas (14 years now).. it is getting better in Texas, there are a few places that aren't just TexMex even here. I think we might try it...

IMG_0605.jpg

Queso Fundido & Chicken Stuffed-Jalapenos - Yes, we forgot to take a picture until we were 1/2 done.

IMG_0608.jpg

Jalapeno-Garlic Tiger Shrimp

IMG_0609.jpg

Yucca Barrel Fries, Mexican Rice, & Calabacitas

IMG_0610.jpg

Pollito

IMG_0612.jpg

Edited by schwpaul
Add title

Although Mexican is not my favorite food type, I will say the quality and freshness at Sabor were top notch. This was my girlfriend's favorite meal of the trip and we ate at Chops and Giovannis also. I would dine here again if we were to sail on another ship with Sabor onboard.

Paul

My wife and I ate at Sabor on the April 6th sailing and it was our favorite dinner of the cruise. We became fast friends with the Schooner bar staff and some of them make the drinks for Sabor (Magic Mike and Alex are great bartenders). While the wife and I were sampling the jalapeno cucumber margaritas, Luis from Sabor came out and talked to us about the menu and what we might like to try. We booked a table shortly thereafter and were not disappointed.

The tableside guac is fantastic. From our previous discussion with Luis, he knew we liked the spice, so he adjusted the recipe accordingly and we had a delicious, spicy guac in no time. We devoured the guac and would have requested more if we weren't too busy stuffing ourselves with bacon wrapped chicken with jalapenos or red snapper ceviche.

For entrees, my wife had the tuna crudo tacos and I had the mole short rib. Both were great. My wife is a big fan of tuna crudo if it's prepared well and she said it was among the best she's had. The short rib was fork tender and melt in your mouth smooth. The mole was not chocolatey or peanut buttery, but just right. For dessert, you get a tray with a small portion of everything. We were stuffed but ate it anyway.

All in all it was a great dinner. The jalapeno margaritas were very good and spicy. Only $2 each with the premium package. The avocado margarita was interesting, but too creamy for my liking.

For reference, we did not eat at Chop's or Giovanni's Table. We did try Izumi and were very pleased with the rolls and sashimi, as well as the hot sake.