Turn your balcony light off!

KeithJenner

We have come back hours later from dinner to find the balcony light turned on and left on (maybe inadvertently) by the Room Steward or us? With the push light switches it is really easy to turn them on even when you are not trying to. I would not mind if someone left a note politely asking me to check my balcony light to make sure it is not turned on when we are not out there. It may even be getting turned on during the day when you wouldn't notice it was on and then stays on all night after the room steward closes the curtains at turn down.

If someone left a sticky note on my door telling me what they think I should do, I'd put it in my "special" filing cabinet.

I'm not a fan of balcony lights but I don't get my panties in a bunch over little things on vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If someone left a sticky note on my door telling me what they think I should do, I'd put it in my "special" filing cabinet.

I'm not a fan of balcony lights but I don't get my panties in a bunch over little things on vacation.

I agree, except for me it would be my boxer briefs. :P

The room steward should be turning the light off each night during turn down, right? Some people accidentally turn it on, some people forget it's on, some people have no idea it can even be controlled. My kid slept in the bed. The couch was near the window and my wife would turn on the balcony light and we would read by balcony light while he slept.

So sometimes when it seems like nobody is out on the balcony, there's a reason why the light is still on. I highly doubt anyone purposely turns it on just to irritate their neighbours who want to see the stars.

You realize there is a difference between someone telling you what to do and asking you nicely to do something for them. Lose the attitude!

Curious what type of a polite request might be acceptable to you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

You realize there is a difference between someone telling you what to do and asking you nicely to do something for them. Lose the attitude!

Agreed, goodness gracious.... you're on a cruise........oh wait.. you already know that, TifffanyD, .......be nice to neighbors and they'll be nice to you......:p

I love sipping a glass of wine sitting on the balcony looking up at the stars with hubby and finding new constellations........it's really a wonderful sight to behold. :D And yes, in total darkness, lovely ;)

Edited by B6ConMe

Cool idea. Star gazing and sticky notes now on todo list :D.

We have come back hours later from dinner to find the balcony light turned on and left on (maybe inadvertently) by the Room Steward or us? With the push light switches it is really easy to turn them on even when you are not trying to. I would not mind if someone left a note politely asking me to check my balcony light to make sure it is not turned on when we are not out there. It may even be getting turned on during the day when you wouldn't notice it was on and then stays on all night after the room steward closes the curtains at turn down.

It takes me a few days to figure out which switches turn on which lights. I rely on the trial and error method. :p

Edited by kylenyc

Curious what type of a polite request might be acceptable to you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Face to face. Maybe start with "hi - are you using your balcony light at night?" And go from there.

A sticky note on my door would come off as passive aggressive and annoy me.

Yes - but look at the subject of the thread. That's not a nice request. Neither is your last sentence.

And someone sending their cabin steward over to "teach me how to use the light" doesn't sound very friendly.

I don't leave my light on, don't try to annoy anyone, don't smoke and don't enjoy smelling smoke. I don't like hearing chatty kids early in the morning but I'm not gonna bang on the door and say "hey you kids - quiet down!" I just try to chill out and suck it up, buttercup. Too many folks seem to be looking for reasons to have a less than stellar trip.

Cool idea. Star gazing and sticky notes now on todo list :D.

It takes me a few days to figure out which switches turn on which lights. I rely on the trial and error method. :p

Hahaha, my wine didn't get all over my laptop, thankfully. :p You are so fawny :p

Personally I would rather someone catch me coming or going from the cabin to broach the balcony light issue, instead of a post it note. The written word can sometimes be taken the wrong way.

Starting out with something like "hi, how's your cruise going.....(light conversation), the stars were so beautiful last night when we were on our balcony, didn't you think?...oh I'm sorry your light was on, I just assumed you were enjoying them too".

As someone else mentioned, we've came into our cabin after turn down service to closed blinds. I was on our first cruise for almost a week before I even knew the balcony had a light. It just happened one night, I moved the curtains to look outside and the light was on. I know for a fact we never touched those light switches so the room steward must have been out there and left it on. It could have been on every night before that for all we knew.

Face to face. Maybe start with "hi - are you using your balcony light at night?" And go from there.

A sticky note on my door would come off as passive aggressive and annoy me.

I would venture that most people don't spend a lot of time in their cabins, hence a note might be more effective than trying to catch someone "at home" and possibly sleeping, dressing for dinner, enjoying private time, etc. I think it's perfectly acceptable to leave a nice note (e.g. Hi neighbor! I was hoping you might turn off your balcony light when you're you're not using it. We enjoy star gazing off the balcony, and it would be a huge help to not have the extra light. Thank you!)

I would venture that most people don't spend a lot of time in their cabins, hence a note might be more effective than trying to catch someone "at home" and possibly sleeping, dressing for dinner, enjoying private time, etc. I think it's perfectly acceptable to leave a nice note (e.g. Hi neighbor! I was hoping you might turn off your balcony light when you're you're not using it. We enjoy star gazing off the balcony, and it would be a huge help to not have the extra light. Thank you!)

Agreed. If there were something so simple I could do to make life a bit better for my neighbor, I'm happy to do it. Seeing a note Ike this wouldn't bother me in the least, I'd be delighted to oblige.

All this commotion and commentary about a simple Edison convenience fixture !

But for sure most folks don't even know about a light on the balcony until it is

pointed out to them.

Now as for the switch to turn the bloody light on and off - therein lies a problem

Some ships it is hidden behind the blackout curtains and on others not readily

seen near the door leading out to the balcony.

So just start flipping switches in the proximity of the door to the balcony - when

you get light well you solved which one does it.

Now turn it off until it is needed.

Other switches in the same location may be the cove lighting in ceiling where

the curtain track is or another way to turn on/off the cabin lighting like when

you first enter your cabin from the passage way - some of these switches are

located next to the bed/consul so you can turn off the lights not getting out of bed.

So get switched on so you don't switch others off ! LOL !

Hey, you mean all this time I didn't have to sit on the balcony in the dark because there is a light out there:p? Actually, I never thought about a light because I love the stillness and the darkness of being out there. It is calming and soothing while stargazing. I even turn out the room light and leave a light on in the bathroom so I don't have to turn on the light and wake my husband.

I wouldn't be offended by a note. If the person left a note with the room number, I would leave a note on the cabin door saying thank you for letting me know it was on and ask when is the best time to sit on the balcony based on your experience.:D

That note wouldn't bother me in the slightest, and I'd be happy to help. I'd probably venture outside the following evening in hopes of meeting the star gazers and sharing a drink.

On our very first cruise we discovered there was a light on the verandah about day 4. The light was on. We never turned it on, so consequently didn't know it had been on for 4 days straight! It took some effort to find the switch to turn it off. Then we left it off. So some people may just not know.

I agree because I didn't know there is a light out there. But, I wouldn't be looking for a light:o because I like the darkness. However, it is possible the steward turned on the light during the evening cleaning to make sure there are no towels, glasses, etc. out there.:cool:

I like my light on, and I really don't respond well to notes on a door.

I wonder what this means, exactly. How many notes on a cabin door have you received? When you say you "don't respond well"... does that mean you get belligerent? Do you become passive-agressive and do more of whatever it is that's being addressed? Do you retaliate? Do you ignore the note?

I really don't get it...

I wonder what this means, exactly. How many notes on a cabin door have you received? When you say you "don't respond well"... does that mean you get belligerent? Do you become passive-agressive and do more of whatever it is that's being addressed? Do you retaliate? Do you ignore the note?

I really don't get it...

Maybe bad experiences with post its on the fridge... "Buy milk now or else!", "Dinner in the microwave... Heat it up yourself", "Don't forget to pick up first born offspring after school!" :p

Edited by kylenyc