Balcony

tinykygal

Asking for opinions here and appreciate your response.

We seldom splurge on a balcony when cruising the Caribbean as we spend our time outside and book an inside cabin.

Do you enjoy your balcony in Alaska or do you find it a waste of money? We are deck people in warm weather but unsure about the variable Alaska weather.

Thank your for your help.

My DH and I did 2 weeks B2B last year for Alaska. He was a cruise virgin while I had cruised several times before. Have had balcony for Caribbean with teen/young adult daughters. Typically book insides as we are not in the cabin except to shower/sleep.

My take..... DH did enjoy some time on the balcony particularily Glacier Bay day. He would also spend time out there while I showered or worked out. I did spend some time out there but more time on the open deck and on Glacier Bay day did a lot of moving between the 2 sides.

Alaska is expensive especially excursions. My DH did enjoy the balcony and would likely want another if we did Alaska again. I on the other hand could easily get by with an inside as I spent a lot of time out and about. I do not mind insides and could easily justify a pricey excursion (or 2) if I did inside.

Really depends on your preference. I am a 'go go go' type personality where my DH is more of a 'porch sitting' watch the world glide by type of person. The do have blankets and hot chocolate if it gets cold and the hot tubs are open.

LOVED Alaska. Hope to do again.

Edited by Normal 1

We had a verandah in Alaska 5 years ago and will be doing the same this summer. The weather is so variable in AK that it was nice to be able to curl up with a nice wool blanket on our verandah with some room service hot chocolate. Our steward supplied the blanket way before we even hit the cold area which caused us to wonder what we were in for! (July 2009) We're looking forward to the late sunsets from the balcony and the scenery again. But, I will say, we did sped a lot of time around the ship too because the grass is always greener on the other side! And the whales are always on the opposite side of the ship from wherever we were! We also enjoy breakfast on the balcony and late afternoon drinks and snacks there too. If you are traveling with friends/family in another cabin, it's also nice to have the steward open the balcony connecting door. Check with your cruise line to see if that's possible. We were on HAL. Oh, something else to consider, there will be a considerable amount of sunlight. Sunrise may be 5 ish, but the twilight of 4:30ish will come in the windows. And the twilight in the evening may be 11 ish. Enjoy no matter what your decision is!

Agree.. we have two aft-wraps and a regular balcony booked for August.. so much to see, unlike the Caribbean which is just water.. I wouldnt even consider Alaska without a balcony. We like to sit out there till late, enjoying wine and quiet.. splurge on it...i bet you wont regret it..

There is a lot to see. It's nice to go out on the balcony when you wake in the morning and you are pulling into the next port. We also enjoy the balcony when pulling out at the end of the day.

Most of the time you want to be out and about so you can see it all. Since a balcony can cost $1,000 more per person you probably need to consider your budget. You can always get a nice view from the Lido or other areas of the ship.

I always book insides. I'm cheap but not on any budget. ( been on 5 cruises already this year)

I would suggest, if paying for a balcony causes tour cut backs, to think carefully if this is a good decision for you? In my opinion, tours are 50% of the trip.

I've been upgraded a few times to outside cabin, which I didn't find any advantage, and still spent all my time out on deck, seeing more expansive views, which is MY priority.

You will need to find out what YOUR priority is?