Cut backs on Elite Breakfast (Coffee Break)

CruisingChick

From reading the "Live From" thread by Tuggers she has posted that starting with her April 26th cruise there has been a major cut to the Elite Morning event. There is no more buffet and they just bring you a small tray of food to your table. Here are links to the two of her posts regarding this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42608638&postcount=63

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42625508&postcount=70

Does anyone else have any more information regarding the Elite Breakfast? As it seems Gail is the only one reporting on this.

Thanks.

Anne Maria

From reading the "Live From" thread by Tuggers she has posted that starting with her April 26th cruise there has been a major cut to the Elite Morning event. There is no more buffet and they just bring you a small tray of food to your table. Here are links to the two of her posts regarding this:

Does anyone else have any more information regarding the Elite Breakfast? As it seems Gail is the only one reporting on this.

Thanks.

Anne Maria

I don't see this as being a huge problem. It isn't as though there is a derth of food on a cruise. So you can't eat in a separate location and call yourselves "elite" while gloating. Big deal. You act like they stopped serving breakfast on the entire cruise or that there is no other dining options.

As businesses move to follow the airline industry and gut reward programs you can expect a lot more of these changes. Brand loyalty is going to become a thing of the past.

From 19 until 24 April... The morning Elite event [held in Tuscan Grille]--with the usual continental breakfast buffet and beverage service--was alive and well on Constellation as recently as last week...

Under perks we are told we will get a "access to a Coffeehouse Style Breakfast".

Now I'm not exactly sure what the definition of "a coffeehouse style breakfast" is, but it is disappointing that something we have come to enjoy is being, in effect, taken away. Yes they are perks and Celebrity has the right to change them if they want but this is very disappointing.

It was an enjoyable atmosphere where you could sit relax, talk to others without all the noise of the crowded buffet or the MDR and get to know other members. Also the Captain's Club Host(ess) was usually always there to talk to members.

Edited by CruisingChick

From 19 until 24 April... The morning Elite event [held in Tuscan Grille]--with the usual continental breakfast buffet and beverage service--was alive and well on Constellation as recently as last week...

As it was on Summit the April 19-26. This just started on the April 26th cruise.

Under perks we are told we will get a "access to a Coffeehouse Style Breakfast".

Now I'm not exactly sure what the definition of "a coffeehouse style breakfast" is, but it is disappointing that something we have come to enjoy is being, in effect, taken away. Yes they are perks and Celebrity has the right to change them if they want but this is very disappointing.

It was an enjoyable atmosphere where you could sit relax, talk to others without all the noise of the crowded buffet or the MDR and get to know other members. Also the Captain's Club Host(ess) was usually always there to talk to members.

From the sounds of it, nothing has been taken away. They are just serving the breakfast items differently. Still the same enjoyable atmosphere:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

From the sounds of it, nothing has been taken away. They are just serving the breakfast items differently. Still the same enjoyable atmosphere:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not sure how you could say nothing has been taken away...

Lots of us think they have made the Elite Breakfast so unappealing that people will not go as much. You can no longer use it as breakfast because there is just not enough served. We’ve already seen a decline in usage. Once there are only a few people taking advantage of it X will do away with it. Most people think it was just too popular. It’s such a shame because the breakfast and cocktail hour are two of the most coveted perks to being Elite/Elite Plus.

Also with the decline in usage the atmosphere will definitely not be the same.

I guess they are putting all the money spent on Elite perks into the Zenith and Suite perks in Michaels Club.

Seems like there will be more waste. Food served that isn't eaten would have to be discarded, wouldn't it? They couldn't take the platters to a different table, and so someone who wants only a croissant and passes on the meat,cheese, fruit would end up with that much food thrown away and I don't see how this could be any saving

If it doesn't produce revenue it's

going to be cut.

Jack

Well if the cut things back anymore I won't be sailing on Celebrity.

I have been reading of cut backs and changes for a while and even before Tuggers posted this about the Elite Breakfast I said to my DH that this upcoming cruise on Summit might be our last.

It sounds like exactly the same food they have always had except it's brought to the table. I would think if they want more they just need to ask.:confused:

That was my thought as well. I would prefer to have it served than jostle with other people in that U shaped buffet setup they had on the MIllie.

I am very disappointed about this downgrading of the elite breakfast. I hope that if enough of us voice our displeasure we can convince X that it is their interest to return it to the lovely experience it was.

interestingly, no-one has mentioned the delightful almond croissants!!!! that is a highlight for me, along with my double expressos.

I really hope it hasn't changed too much, I have always enjoyed the quiet yet friendly ambiance, along with the CC host to chat with.

We are going on the Summit, May 11th so I will be happy to report back - actually we were supposed to have been on the repositioning (have done it quite a few times) but work schedules interfered this year!

I can't believe all the cutbacks. It never seems to stop. I really hope it backfires on them with less business. They have lost my business since last April. 60 cruises in 17 years with no cruise in over a year now.

When I read of the cutbacks it really makes it easier to not go.

It sounds like exactly the same food they have always had except it's brought to the table. I would think if they want more they just need to ask.:confused:

It doesn't sound at all the same to me. I would often make a small sandwich. I don't think that would be very practical to do while someone is holding a tray.

No, it isn't the end of the world and no one is going to starve, but it was a very nice way to start the day. We especially enjoyed it on our recent Eclipse cruise. The Tuscan Grill is such a very nice location, it's a shame to use it just for an extra cost restuarant. I imagine the attendance will drop off, especially with so many having the drink package.

Still hoping they're just testing the concept :)

It doesn't sound at all the same to me. I would often make a small sandwich. I don't think that would be very practical to do while someone is holding a tray.

No, it isn't the end of the world and no one is going to starve, but it was a very nice way to start the day. We especially enjoyed it on our recent Eclipse cruise. The Tuscan Grill is such a very nice location, it's a shame to use it just for an extra cost restuarant. I imagine the attendance will drop off, especially with so many having the drink package.

Still hoping they're just testing the concept :)

Really, she said it was in the same location and the tray was a three tiered tray (like a tea sandwich server) that was left at the table. It sounds like there just wasn't enough lox on the tray for her. Just ask for more.

Thanks.

Anne Maria

Will be on the Summit in August. Truthfully, never enjoyed the Elite breakfast- just a glorified continental breakfast- not really what we enjoy. So IMO not a great loss.

You can have room service if you like the quiet at breakfast time- or for a nice continental breakfast try cafe el Baccio. With the free drink packages, you can always get cappuccino or bloody mary's if you like that. On our last two cruise on the Silhouette, we never had the breakfast in the Tuscan Grill. Since we have the drink packages, we do not go daily to the Cocktail lounge either- they have just a few drinks that they offer which aren't great. Who needs the extra snacks before dinner. Just go to say hello to some people and stay a few minutes if at all. Royal Caribbean has a wonderful cocktail hour- with great food- Now those pre dinner snacks are worth the calories. They also have much better drinks offered to Diamond Club guests- if you are Elite on Celebrity- you automatically become Diamond club RC guests!

The cutbacks are getting annoying....that's why we are no longer exclusive Celebrity cruisers even though we are elite plus. Simply put, we vote with our money.

Wonder what's next to go...

Edited by ghstudio

Really, she said it was in the same location and the tray was a three tiered tray (like a tea sandwich server) that was left at the table. It sounds like there just wasn't enough lox on the tray for her. Just ask for more.

I do not believe that it is lox, but, rather, smoked salmon.

Given food allergies not happy with the new arrangement. Much prefer to select what we want and can eat than have a pre selection with more being wasted because it is not what we want or if items have touched on the plate there is cross contamination (yes I know there is also a cross over risk on a buffet but not if you are taking items well apart, it's the almond croissants and their falling off flakes that would be the killer)

If this is a permanent change, we will of course make alternative breakfast plans, but will also note add more reduction in offering to the growing list of Celebrity cutbacks

Edited by uktog

I think this is great. No other hands, germs..touching my food as they did when it was buffet. As for lox, did you ask for more? If you wanted more I would think you could ask for a plate of lox and they would bring it to you. This non-buffet approach seems much more civil to me. I applaud this change. Thanks again Celeb!