Packing... Ladies help! Oh, men can help too!

What do I THINK I need to pack but should really leave at home?? Going in the Magic and it's been forever since I cruised and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fit my closet in a suitcase 😉

Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look for the

Stuff and more stuff thread

And the

12 days with a carryon thread

on the Fashion and Beauty Board.

I can't link them because I'm on my phone and I haven't figured out to do it.

Edited by SadieN

Put everything you want to take on the bed and then remove half. If you are going south in the summer, keep most of the shirts. I have always finished a cruise saying, "wow, packed too much." Also, pack things that can do double duty like a cover-up/dress. Keep shoes to a minimum. I try to pack a PJ set that is nice enough to wear in the mornings for coffee. I tend to wake up early and like to have coffee on the deck. (yes,I wear PJ's to the buffet. I am that person)

As far a make-up and beauty, I never need much of what I pack, but my hubby would call me "granola." I would pack a good shampoo and lotion. The water does a number on my hair and skin. I like Wen for a cruise because I can use it as an all day deep conditioner at the beach.

I agree on the shoes. My first cruise I brought a shoe bag....16 pairs! Now I just bring 4 and wear sneakers to the port.

Basic color shorts and pants with different color tops seems to work for me. Dresses are normally knit so no wrinkles. Have fun

Depending on how many suitcases you plan on taking and your space a couple of weeks before you are leaving, pack. Then every day look through the bags and anything that you spend time wondering if you should take it, remove it. You would be surprised how much you can eliminate that you would have never used.

What do I THINK I need to pack but should really leave at home?? Going in the Magic and it's been forever since I cruised and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fit my closet in a suitcase

Help!

Where is the ship going? (is it Disney Magic)? And for how long?

Plan each day. Try to stick to a few colors that can be mixed and matched.

Bring things that don't wrinkle and fold flat. Bring a sweater or something to keep you warm if the AC is too high on board.

If you're going to the Caribbean, forget a raincoat....you might get damp, but you will NOT be cold!

You really don't need anything on a ship that you wouldn't take on any vacation to the same climate!

A few years ago the day started off beautifully in Jamaica, in fact the whole day was gorgeous. We got back to the ship what must have been a popular time because there was a long line to get back onboard and wouldn't you know it started to rain and I mean poured. With no where to get cover it only took a few minutes to be drenched from head to toe. I now carry both an umbrella and rain jacket whenever I get off the ship. I was also pretty cold when drenched too especially getting onto the air conditioned ship.

Shak

I suggest you think about what kinds of products that you use everyday and can't live without. I'd pack those items. Next I would plan out what to wear. What I, and lots and lots of women on the fashion board do is make a chart and plan out something to wear for each day depending on what you will be doing on any given day. For example, here's one day's worth of outfits I would wear on a Caribbean cruise...

Morning/Afternoon:

Swimsuit

Coverup worn as a top

A pair of capri pants

A pair of rubber flip flops

A straw hat

Sunglasses

A tote bag in which there would be (Beach towel, suntan lotion for face and body, tinted lip balm w/spf of 15, a wide-tooth comb, a small hair clip, my ID and Sign/Sail card/1 credit card/a small amount of cash, a bottle of water, a couple of Advil, and whatever else I might think I'd need for that day's excursion).

Evening:

A cute top, a pair of capri pants or a maxi skirt, a pair of low-heeled or flat, dressy sandals, jewelry, and a small evening bag/wrist-let/or clutch.

That would typically be a day's worth of clothes for me.

As far as extra stuff, my can't live withouts (besides the basics...medications, cosmetics, toiletries, IDs, Cash, travel-related paperwork, nook/charger, Iphone/charger, camera/charger, etc.) would be...

A small plug-in that you can plug in 4 other electronics to it

Some thin, wire, hangers (I bring about 12 - they take up little room).

Room deodorizer

Clorox wipes

Travel sized detergent/stain removing pen

Varied-sized Zip-loc, plastic bags (a large trash bag for storing dirty clothing in under the bed)

Pen, highlighter, a couple of paper clips, a few rubber bands, a small notebook, and a child's pair of scissors

A travel knife w/a corkscrew attachment (used enumerable times on cruises)

Small lint brush

Small sewing kit (used so many times I can't count)

A few Thank You cards for handing out extra tips

Snacks (chips, nuts, favorite candy, gum)

2 six-packs of soda, 2 bottles of wine, and 2 six-packs Fiji water

I always have pictures of my son with me at all times

That's how I roll.

I hope this helps.:D

Edited by mousey

I suggest you think about what kinds of products that you use everyday and can't live without. I'd pack those items. Next I would plan out what to wear. What I, and lots and lots of women on the fashion board do is make a chart and plan out something to wear for each day depending on what you will be doing on any given day. For example, here's one day's worth of outfits I would wear on a Caribbean cruise...

Morning/Afternoon:

Swimsuit

Coverup worn as a top

A pair of capri pants

A pair of rubber flip flops

A straw hat

Sunglasses

A tote bag in which there would be (Beach towel, suntan lotion for face and body, tinted lip balm w/spf of 15, a wide-tooth comb, a small hair clip, my ID and Sign/Sail card/1 credit card/a small amount of cash, a bottle of water, a couple of Advil, and whatever else I might think I'd need for that day's excursion).

Evening:

A cute top, a pair of capri pants or a maxi skirt, a pair of low-heeled or flat, dressy sandals, jewelry, and a small evening bag/wrist-let/or clutch.

That would typically be a day's worth of clothes for me.

As far as extra stuff, my can't live withouts (besides the basics, medications, cosmetics, toiletries, IDs, Cash, travel-related paperwork, nook, camera, etc.) would be...

A small plug-in that you can plug in 4 other electronics to it

Some thin, wire, hangers (I bring about 12 - they take up little room).

A light-weight jeans jacket

Room deodorizer

Varied-sized Zip-loc, plastic bags (a large trash bag for putting dirty in)

Pen, highlighter, a couple of paper clips, a few rubber bands

A small notebook, and a child's pair of scissors

A travel knife w/a corkscrew attachment (used enumerable times on cruises)

Small lint brush

Small sewing kit (used so many times I can't count)

A few Thank You cards for handing out extra tips

Snacks (chips, nuts, favorite candy, gum)

2 six-packs of soda, 2 bottles of wine, and 2 six-packs Fiji water

I always carry pictures of my son with me at all times

That's how I roll.

I hope this helps.:D

You did ask what not to pack, so I won't add any more items to your list. Remember, you can decant your usual toiletries into smaller bottles. You can use mini sizes of things like Tylenol. And you can wash out things like swimsuits. Most things you might want to take "just in case" you can either live without for a few days or, if you must, buy it there. I once forgot to pack any underwear for my husband. Luckily our first stop was Key West and we were able to buy some there! And he learned his lesson: now he helps with the packing!

I agree with the poster who said to decant your toiletries into smaller containers. I use container even much smaller than the 3 oz allowance. You can use contact lens cases for pomade, eye cream, concealer, etc, those things that you need just a dab of. If you have an Asian or Japanese home goods store near you, go check it out. I buy lots of tiny containers from there and they are about $1 each.

Take samples of moisturizer instead of a bottle. I save all my samples from Sephora for travel. I choose brands that I have already tried, so you don't use a brand you've never tried and come to find out you are allergic or something to that formula.

My bf and I travel with one shared rolling carry-on luggage and one personal item each, that's it, and that is for 10-14 day vacations. Bring some laundry detergent (again a sample size) and do shirt, undies, socks laundry halfway through.

All your clothes need to match everything else you are bringing (capsule collection).

And shoes! We women are the worst offenders when it comes to shoes. I did a thread a while back about the least amount of shoes to bring on a cruise. I was shocked to find some bring more than 5 or 6 pairs, and some even more than 10! Last time I brought three: heels, flats, flip flops. I used flip flops as my walking shoes. But this time I will swap the heels (takes up way too much room, I wear 4"+ heels) for sneakers, and bring also water shoes, leave behind the flip flops. For formal nights I will bring fancier flats that work for day or night.

Not that I really need to minimize our luggage. We aren't flying on Spirit like we did last time. But after packing so light last time, it was a real eye opener. To me it's like a game how small I can get everything down. I also just picked up some compression bags from TJ Maxx. Like giant ziploc bags to get all the air out (wasted space).

Edited by whataboutport

I agree with the poster who said to decant your toiletries into smaller containers. I use container even much smaller than the 3 oz allowance. You can use contact lens cases for pomade, eye cream, concealer, etc, those things that you need just a dab of. If you have an Asian or Japanese home goods store near you, go check it out. I buy lots of tiny containers from there and they are about $1 each.

Take samples of moisturizer instead of a bottle. I save all my samples from Sephora for travel. I choose brands that I have already tried, so you don't use a brand you've never tried and come to find out you are allergic or something to that formula.

My bf and I travel with one shared rolling carry-on luggage and one personal item each, that's it, and that is for 10-14 day vacations. Bring some laundry detergent (again a sample size) and do shirt, undies, socks laundry halfway through.

All your clothes need to match everything else you are bringing (capsule collection).

And shoes! We women are the worst offenders when it comes to shoes. I did a thread a while back about the least amount of shoes to bring on a cruise. I was shocked to find some bring more than 5 or 6 pairs, and some even more than 10! Last time I brought three: heels, flats, flip flops. I used flip flops as my walking shoes. But this time I will swap the heels (takes up way too much room, I wear 4"+ heels) for sneakers, and bring also water shoes, leave behind the flip flops. For formal nights I will bring fancier flats that work for day or night.

Not that I really need to minimize our luggage. We aren't flying on Spirit like we did last time. But after packing so light last time, it was a real eye opener. To me it's like a game how small I can get everything down. I also just picked up some compression bags from TJ Maxx. Like giant ziploc bags to get all the air out (wasted space).

Great post!!

I guess I'm the "what if I don't have enough" type. I have LONG hair and need lots of conditioner! I don't use much make up but body lotion and body wash I love so I'm not sure 3oz would be enough!

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about bringing foundation or any type of heavy makeup. I LOVE the skin-evening, color match creams (Almay has a great hypoallergenic one) with sunscreen. It's pretty light, evens out everything and provides sun protection!

I print a blank calendar for the duration of the cruise, and label the day's generic activities at the top of each day (sea day, port, etc.). Then I write down planned outfits (including undergarments - days you might need extra will even out with days you stay in swimwear all day). That is ALL that gets packed. And the calendar goes on top in the suitcase for reference. You can always switch around, but then you don't over pack. My kids do the same - it's the only way to make sure 3 boys don't UNDER pack! (Mom, did you pack my underwear?:eek:)

I guess I'm the "what if I don't have enough" type. I have LONG hair and need lots of conditioner! I don't use much make up but body lotion and body wash I love so I'm not sure 3oz would be enough!

I learned from Happyks on this forum that you don't need as much conditioner as you think. A small quarter-sized dab is enough for my very thick, just below shoulder length hair. I started cruising with 6 oz of shampoo and 10 of conditioner for a one-week cruise. I just got back from a 14-night trip with 2 oz of shampoo and 3 oz of conditioner. I had lots of shampoo left and just a little bit of conditioner. And my hair was fine.:)

The other thing to consider is buying some of your favorites once you get to your destination. If it's in the same country in which you live, you shouldn't have a problem, assuming that you aren't going straight from the airport to your ship. If not and your favorite item isn't available, it's an opportunity to try something new. Body lotion and sunscreen are my two "must haves" that I need more than 3 oz of, so I buy them on land once I've arrived. Then I leave any extra behind when I go home.

I try to pack for 4 days whenever I'm travelling for at least 4 days. Lots of mix & match, scarves to make repeat outfits look a little different, not a lot of shoes (no heels on our last trip and it was heaven for my feet) and a lot of stuff that dries overnight. I use the wall dispenser soap in the shower to wash things out, get extra towels to blot up excess moisture, hang to dry and everything is good to go in 12-24 hours (cotton takes a little longer).

Also, save the plastic bags that you get produce in, rinse them out, and use them as shoe bags. Also wrap up socks and other small items and stuff them into your shoes (I can get a LOT of stuff into DH's shoes). Use every inch of space and remember that every ounce counts.

I try to bring multiple small (sample) size containers of the products I use most. I'll take several sample size tubes of toothpaste, for instance, throwing away the empties as I use them. It's not that much space saved on the way home, but there is something about taking home a 3/4 empty large tube that bothers me.

WalMart sells lots of sample size products, small tubes you can fill with your own products, tiny plastic jars for thicker products (hair gels, etc) and they are all cheap enough to toss as you empty them, if you so desire.

and for how long...

I never pack duct tape, umbrella ( I would if I was going to London), jeans (I would if i was going to Alaska), I could wear a pair of jeans on the plane.

I never wear a jacket, unless it is a denim or something that will work with all my clothes...I take my nook and leave books and travel guides home.

Before I leave, I review my choices. I have tossed shirts out of the suitcase when I see they do not work with the bottoms/skirts I have chosen.

If you have weight restrictions on your bag...sort out your clothes by weight as you pare it down...

Bernadette