UK Resident Using a US TA For RCI Cruise?

Has anybody in the UK used a US TA for booking a cruise with RCI? The current BOGOF promotion is just too good to miss if we are able to book it this way. I realise that the exchange rate can/will affect the final payment but apart from that are there any pitfalls?

Thanks

Gill

Gilpet,

I am in Australia and have used US agents in the past. We have had no problems in using them. When the charged to the credit card is done yes it is in US dollars so the exchange rate is determine by the card provider. You will find that the charge is by the cruise line themselves.

I'm from the UK and now use a US TA.

I have booked on the current BOGOHO offer and the price is over £1000 cheaper than the UK price with loads of onboard credit too. The deposit was only $300 and is fully refundable.

I also have the Quantum 02 November transatlantic booked and have received almost $586 in price drops in the last month. If I had booked through the UK I wouldn't have got a single penny of that.

I book with a US TA as well. You are asking for pitfalls....

Well I have not encountered any so far and I book in the US for many years now, but you certainly need to realize what you are buying into.

So your first step is to find a TA you are comfortable with and check their T&C´s.

Keep in mind if anything goes wrong with your TA it can be much harder for you to rectify the Situation being in another Country.

Another Point you Need to be aware of is the loss of protection. In Europe / UK there are some laws in place to protect the traveler in various situations like cancellations, bankrupcy, flight disruptions etc. Be Aware that non of this will apply to you when booking in the US.

As I said I made the decission for myself, but before I made my first booking I closely looked into all differences to know what I´m getting into.

I strongly advise you to do the same and not just hunt for the better deal, not knowing what you are getting into.

In Australia and I use a US agency to book cruises with Cunard, RCL and NCL. The cruise line is the one that charged my credit card for deposit so the solvency of the TA is irrelevant. As far as flight disruptions go, the airlines take on that risk management. Check everything but I don't see the same pitfalls as the person above. Currency fluctuation is the only one. Cancellation conditions are far superior too.

In Australia and I use a US agency to book cruises with Cunard, RCL and NCL. The cruise line is the one that charged my credit card for deposit so the solvency of the TA is irrelevant. As far as flight disruptions go, the airlines take on that risk management. Check everything but I don't see the same pitfalls as the person above. Currency fluctuation is the only one. Cancellation conditions are far superior too.

From your post I think you are not quite Aware of the consumer protections attached in Europe. To make a decision you Need to be informed about the pros and cons. To me it´s still worth to book in the US, but to others it might not and they Need to Research the possible risks involved to make an informed decision.

The protection is not only for the TA going bancrupt but also protects you from the cruiseline/Airline going belly up, which would still be a problem even if your payments go directly to the cruiseline (I take the risk because I deem it rather unlikely to happen, but again you Need to know the risk). BTW payments going directly to the cruiseline and not to the TA would be a Point to Research when looking for a TA, as there are TA´s out there not doing it this way.

As for flight disruptions, the EU protection goes far beyond of what the Airlines will take care of. Under EU protection you are sold a travel package and if there is a flight disruption (remember the volcano?) they will not only be responsible for the flight, but also for the attached cruise, Hotels, etc.

I don´t advocate against the use of an US TA, I say Research all pros and cons to know what you are doing. We frequently read stories here about People not doing their Research and then come on here to share their (aviodable) stories.

If an airline goes bellyup then you can retrieve funds from the credit card used to pay for the cruise. As far as issues like volcanoes, that is exactly what travel insurance is for.

TA's in Australia always speak of the Consumer Protection Legislation. Honestly - I think it's pretty much just protecting their turf from online sales.

I have read that EU protection is far superior. I believe Australians who book with a European airline are entitled to EU protection and they don't need to have booked with a local TA to get entitlement. It comes with the purchase of the flight and not the Agency you book it through.

Edited by Pushka

Like others have said, booking with US agents does not have the same protection. We book in the US for 2 main reasons.

Price drops, cannot get them in the UK. We have saved thousands of $$$

Upgrades, we sail today on the Independence b2b. Booked promenade for both cruises. Couple of weeks ago upgraded for free to balcony for the crossing and a few days ago upgraded for free to a balcony for Norway cruise.

We actually got a refund of $550 for our balcony discounts as well.

The only problem we have is the time difference as our TA is in Seattle, 8 hours behind the UK.

Pete.

Thanks everybody for all your very helpful comments and advice.

As I don't fly we only cruise from the UK so I don't have to worry about airlines, just the TA and the cruiseline but I take your point about research Paulxyz2004. I have looked at Trip Adviser and the TA I'm thinking of using receives mixed reviews, the negatives are mainly to do with slow customer service received after booking and the fact that they charge a $100 pp cancellation fee whenever you cancel. I have read their terms and conditions and the cancellation fee is clearly stated there. I don't see either of these things as a major problem, I have rarely needed to contact a TA after booking and if I book in the UK and cancel I would lose my deposit so I wouldn't complain about their cancellation charge. Any other suggestions for research I should do?

Pushka, we hear the same "Consumer Protection" story in the UK but I've yet to discover how I actually benefit from it!!

Gill

Interested in what deal you have found.

I don't know if you can see this link from outside of North America:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?icid=mybg_2_tctclp_gt5_hm_cntntr_1124&pagename=may_bogo_offer

If not, the deal is half off the second guest for cruises in 2015 and 2016, except for Quantum and Anthem. Deal goes through May 31.

Thanks everybody for all your very helpful comments and advice.

As I don't fly we only cruise from the UK so I don't have to worry about airlines, just the TA and the cruiseline but I take your point about research Paulxyz2004. I have looked at Trip Adviser and the TA I'm thinking of using receives mixed reviews, the negatives are mainly to do with slow customer service received after booking and the fact that they charge a $100 pp cancellation fee whenever you cancel. I have read their terms and conditions and the cancellation fee is clearly stated there. I don't see either of these things as a major problem, I have rarely needed to contact a TA after booking and if I book in the UK and cancel I would lose my deposit so I wouldn't complain about their cancellation charge. Any other suggestions for research I should do?

Pushka, we hear the same "Consumer Protection" story in the UK but I've yet to discover how I actually benefit from it!!

Gill

Good luck with finding a good TA and your TA booking. You will never benefit from the consumer protection until something goes wrong. However once that happens it will be a huge benefit. Personally I´m not a fan of those EU regulations as I believe they simply make things more expensive for us, but I do understand how this can benefit People once things start to get wrong.

The cancellation fee and the slow Responses would be a huge red flag to me personally. I´ve never cancelled a cruise and I agree it would be still better than the lost deposit over here, but with the abundance of US TA´s out there not charging such a fee I´d not Chose that one.

My TA is an Internet only (no phnoe number to call) agency and I was a Little nervous the first time, but even with the time difference they answer within a couple of days regardless of time and I get an aswer from them very quickly all the time. They even tell People upfront how they are not the "handholding" type of TA. I would call them more a booking handling Agent, but still always received good Service.

Again good luck and start the savings :)