Grrrrr NCL charged us for mini bar scotch!!

Jldevlin

So the Dewars Scotch is US$5.75 each, why did the OP get charged $25? Is there a minimum charge?

BTW, I inventory and remove everything from the fridge on the first day and put it back on the last day. On one cruise, when I got my final invoice, I noticed a charge for the 'mini bar'. I got on my cabin steward to get it fixed. It turned out the cabin number for another cabin (different steward) got transposed and I got charged and they didn't (at least initially).

MiniBarMenu.jpg

Even if the OP did drink the Scotch (which he didn't) two mini Scotch cost $11.50 (2x$5.75=$11.50) x15% restocking fee of $1.73. $11.50 + $1.73= $13.23 so why the $25.00 charge? :confused:

Even if the OP did drink the Scotch (which he didn't) two mini Scotch cost $11.50 (2x$5.75=$11.50) x15% restocking fee of $1.73. $11.50 + $1.73= $13.23 so why the $25.00 charge? :confused:

What I find outrageous is that they charge a ridiculous price for the drink and then another 15% to put another one in the fridge! :eek:

I was so happy to learn that I am not alone. I just now hung up with my credit card company to dispute a $25 charge from NCL from our way day cruise to nowhere on the GEM.

I checked with the ships, reception just prior to disembarkation, to check our bill and we had a $0 balance having only used 3/4 of our on board credit. "Reception said your all set, you owe nothing but you did not use the entire credit and will lose it". No problem, I had a great time on the cruise.

The $25 charge was disputed by my credit card company with NCL and is now off my bill.

If you are unlawfully charged for something by NCL, even if it is a small amount it is important that you dispute the charge not doing so only allows for the customer to be overcharged. When you are wronged, speak up.

C'mon now it is about principle not so much the $25

If you found a $25 charge on your card that you did not make you would definitely try to resolve it. Of course we all would.

Sadly this is not the first post of this kind on this board. Someone took the bottles and the room steward did not catch the right person. At this point, NCL is believing their staff over the customer. That is fine but we all make mistakes and the staff probably made one and the customer here is probably right!

C'mon now it is about principle not so much the $25

If you found a $25 charge on your card that you did not make you would definitely try to resolve it. Of course we all would.

Sadly this is not the first post of this kind on this board. Someone took the bottles and the room steward did not catch the right person. At this point, NCL is believing their staff over the customer. That is fine but we all make mistakes and the staff probably made one and the customer here is probably right!

I understand principle but my time is worth a lot more than spending hours on hold for $25 and worrying about it for months. Dispute it and move on would be my strategy.

To each their own as the saying goes.

It's only nickel and diming if someone decides to take one. I would just go without therefore no nickel and diming.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. It's also only nickel and diming if you go on a cruise. Just don't go therefore no nickel and diming.

I understand principle but my time is worth a lot more than spending hours on hold for $25 and worrying about it for months. Dispute it and move on would be my strategy.

There are famous fraud cases where a person siphons off mere pennies but does it so many times they make a fortune...no amount, therefore, is too small.

I am happy for you that $25 is not worth your time. I truly mean that. Unfortunately $25 is a lot to a lot of other people.

I would definitely dispute this and if I could not get it resolved it would go in my file of other times businesses have ticked me off! And I highly doubt I would do business with them again.

Edited by Medtech2

The OP is saying it is $25 because it did not happen. The op just wants to make NCL look bad.

Huh ???? why would I want to make them look bad .. that is just silly. It was 24.35 canadian with the exchange.I just rounded up lol .... and it was not till after we got off the phone when they said it was 2 bottles of scotch that we thought ... scotch is that much??? no wonder we never take anything from the mini bar. And it is the principle... We have happily booked a September cruise with NCL and we are looking forward to it. But they should have to be the ones to remove it not us. Again it is not a huge deal ... just a little irritating that they decided it would be us to charge.

Huh ???? why would I want to make them look bad .. that is just silly. It was 24.35 canadian with the exchange.I just rounded up lol .... and it was not till after we got off the phone when they said it was 2 bottles of scotch that we thought ... scotch is that much??? no wonder we never take anything from the mini bar. And it is the principle... We have happily booked a September cruise with NCL and we are looking forward to it. But they should have to be the ones to remove it not us. Again it is not a huge deal ... just a little irritating that they decided it would be us to charge.

Yikes - I didn't know your dollar dropped that far that $13.23 USD = $24.35 CAD

Every time I have called a credit card company to dispute a charge, they always suggest calling the company or store where the charge occurred in the dispute process. Many times the store or company realizes the mistake and takes the charge off prior to the long process of filing a dispute.

Calling the place that put the charge on is always part of the dispute process.

Yikes - I didn't know your dollar dropped that far that $13.23 USD = $24.35 CAD

It didn't. $13.23 USD should be around $14.50 CDN.

Somebody messed up the math somewhere along the line.

Edited by rajones007
grammar.

This makes no sense and I'm not disputing whether OP is telling the truth, I believe they are but if you look at the currency exchange rate 1 USD = 1.08970 CAD 1 CAD = 0.917685 USD and then do the math for 2 bottles of liquor @ 5.75 ea. + 15% = $14.42 it just doesn't add up to $24.35 no how no way.

Fraud? Theft? No idea but needs reporting and disputing. JMHO

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. It's also only nickel and diming if you go on a cruise. Just don't go therefore no nickel and diming.

Going on a cruise is hardly nickel and diming. Partaking of the extras may be considered nickel and diming to some and if they feel that way, don't partake of the extras. I've never known any cruise line to force someone to pay for a specialty restaurant or alcohol or anything else that they did not wish to buy.......have you??? :rolleyes: